Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jammed In 1st Gear

philjack82

Hi,

I jumped in my car about 5pm tonight, started the engine and drove off. When I went to change into 2nd gear the gear stick was locked in 1st and the clutch felt funny. I rolled to the side of the road and switched the engine off. I was then able to put it back into neutral. After reading some forums I saw it suggested that sometimes in cold weather if you don't let the car warm up a little bit first that the computer can play heck with the transmission. I started the car back up and let it idle for a few minutes and sure enough I drove off and everything was fine. Does this sound plausible? I have a 61' plate Focus.

Thanks.

As far as I'm aware the MK3 Focus ECU doesn't have the capability to "lock" the car in a specific gear, if you were only able to take the car out of gear with the engine off I'd suggest that the clutch hadn't engaged (similar to you not using the clutch pedal).  I'm sure the earlier MK3 Focus builds had a issue with at least 1 part of the clutch system leaking fluid, have you checked your brake/clutch fluid level to make sure it's not too low?

I am with 1979Damian's thinking  on this. If it is a hydraulic problem, pushing the clutch pedal a few times may have built up some pressure in the hydraulic system and it may have not been anything to do with warming up. It does sound worrying that it will be something that needs fixing in due course

The brake/clutch fluid is just on the minimum line. I'm assuming this isn't low enough to cause a problem?

Being on the minimum line should be ok for the level...but does suggest there's a leak somewhere, and if fluid leaks out, air will be sucked back in which gives the odd pedal feel and won't disengage the clutch (the air will be compressed where the fluid won't).  

I'll fill the fluid up to the max and keep an eye on it over the next few days and see if it falls.

• Like 1

Afaik, if there is air in the system it will need bleeding to get it out.

"Afaik, if there is air in the system it will need bleeding to get it out."

that's the theory. about 2 yrs ago I had an old 1972 Reliant Scimitar on my drive which had stood for 2 or 3 yrs.  I was getting it going so I could sell it as a runner (with no MOT).  The clutch had no pressure, looked in master cylinder and no fluid there. Topped it up and thought I was going to have to bleed it.   But after quite a lot of pumping in varied slow and fast bursts the pressure came back to normal. I suspect I was a bit lucky but it might work for others.  Partly regret selling it now as in a few months time it will be MOT test exempt , it was already tax exempt.

I wasn't aware that any car became mot exempt but surely the older the car, the more important it is that is checked to be road worthy?

They changed the rules, I think the idea is that if it's a certain age it's being kept as a classic and is likely to be well looked after.

A lot of classic car owners still have either an MOT or a yearly check done for peace of mind.  As you say, the older they get the less road worthy they're likely to be!  It's currently 40 years old for MOT exemption.

I had the problem again this morning with the gear locking. I managed to get it to my local garage. He's just rung me back and you were correct lads, the clutch slave cylinder is leaking. It only had a new clutch last October. I've got RAC gold warranty on it but they are closed until 9am tomorrow. Do you think this would be covered by their warranty? They don't cover clutches that are "at the end of their working life" but being 14 months old this one shouldn't have packed in already. I have the invoice for the clutch kit and concentric slave cylinder.

34 minutes ago, philjack82 said:

I had the problem again this morning with the gear locking. I managed to get it to my local garage. He's just rung me back and you were correct lads, the clutch slave cylinder is leaking. It only had a new clutch last October. I've got RAC gold warranty on it but they are closed until 9am tomorrow. Do you think this would be covered by their warranty? They don't cover clutches that are "at the end of their working life" but being 14 months old this one shouldn't have packed in already. I have the invoice for the clutch kit and concentric slave cylinder.

I'd certainly argue the toss that it's an inherent fault in the slave cylinder. Did you pay to have it replaced previously? If so, then you also have your consumer rights under the Consumer Rights Act to play with.

What make is the clutch kit?  There might be a parts warranty on that for 2 years?

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club