Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta 2002 cuts out when braking

Riley

Hello

I have an issue with my fiesta 2002 and i'm hoping someone can help me to get to the bottom of it.

The Fiesta runs really well apart from when i'm slowing down and just about to stop it cuts out. Lights come on the dashboard and steering becomes heavy. I took it into my local garage with an idea that it was the air control valve. It was covered in muck and was cleaned so i thought that the end of it but its still happening. Now i'm thinking it maybe be the idle control valve if so could i fit this myself?. Apart from this i don't have a clue. Surely the car can't be knackered. I know it's getting on a bit but anything can be fixed i'm just getting to that brick wall with it.

Does anyone have any ideas, i would really appreciate any help

Depends what sort of mileage your car's got as to whether to call it a day and get a new car. If it has over 100,000 miles on or so then it's not going to be worth spending hundreds of pounds on. You could buy another car, take the parts off you need and scrap the car for probably less money than getting replacement parts brand new.

However it's still worth trying to do cheap fixes like stripping and cleaning valves/throttle body etc. IDLE control valve could be a good place to start. They often get clogged up with carbon.

Either that or you have a vacuum leak going to the brake booster which is causing the engine to suck in unmetered air and cause the engine to run lean, therefore cut out.

As Luke4efc says try cleaning the throttle body & butterfly valve as it could be dirty. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club