Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Service light

bananacat

Hi

My wife has a 2014 1.0 ecoboost and when accelerating up a hill, not that steep, the service light comes on. When turning off ignition (when stationary) and then on again the light is no longer showing.

Has anyone got advice as to what I might be? Just a simple service?

You need an OBD2 reader or to access the "secret menu" (threads on here how to do it) to read if any codes are being thrown when this occurs. 

9 hours ago, ThaiFiesta said:

You need an OBD2 reader or to access the "secret menu" (threads on here how to do it) to read if any codes are being thrown when this occurs. 

Thanks for your reply.

I have a obd reader that plugs in to pc. Do you know what program I need?

6 hours ago, bananacat said:

Thanks for your reply.

Sorry The only one I know for PC if Forscan (free download) but it needs a particular reader. Almost all the recent programs will show error codes. You can then google the code and there is also a list on here I think. 

On 11/30/2017 at 10:01 PM, bananacat said:

Thanks for your reply.

If you have an ELM327 adapter you should be able to use Forscan. If you want to access other features of Forscan you may need to either modify your adapter, or purchase a pre-modified one. TunnelRat Electronics sell pre-modified ones at £15ish.

I have one from Tunnelrat. The modified one with the extra switch added which allows access to more functions. USB cable to my laptop and (free) Forscan software. It's good. Many people on this forum reccommend this.

https://tunnelrat-electronics.fwscart.com/

'helpful links' at top of page gives software links

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, isetta said:

I have one from Tunnelrat. The modified one with the extra switch added which allows access to more functions. USB cable to my laptop and (free) Forscan software. It's good. Many people on this forum reccommend this.

https://tunnelrat-electronics.fwscart.com/

'helpful links' at top of page gives software links

I have the switched on just never got round to using it. Bought it to turn on auto locking on my mk3 focus but worried I'll bugger something up lol

Can't see "helpful links" though

click on the tunnelrat webpage link I gave above . Helpful links is in the black bar along the top of that page.

• Thanks 1

Right so had it all plugged in by a mate who is a mechanic.

Code coming up is p0234, he has checked the turbo and all the valves etc are working as they should do and no play on the turbine the fault is still intermittent and only in one place in a 20 mile journey. He has recommended taking it to ford and getting them to do a software update before we go any further.

After a bit of time in various forums and Google kinda suggest wastegate valve. Has anyone changed it before?

Can any one advise?

Taking it to ford in Thursday, worried they'll rip me off

P0234 is a generic pcm fault code, usually suggesting overboost. So yes wastegate being stuck closed does seem like something that would cause the problem.

Have you checked under the bonnet to make sure no hoses going to the boost controller/ wastegate have come off? EDIT: Nevermind just read the post above about you having it inspected.

Don't drive it too hard in the meantime, overboost can cause serious engine damage of that's what you're getting.

Having said all of that it seems rather strange how if it is an overboost, how it only happens when you go up a hill.

Thanks for the reply. Yes it's very strange and it's only 1 hill in one place

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club