Do Not Sell My Personal Information

CAT D Query

EddyOS

I hope someone can try and clear up a confusing situation for me...

I bought my Focus a month ago and two weeks after collecting it my wife went into the back of someone at low speed and has dented the bonnet but bumper/grill are fine bar a bit of a scuff. The O/S headlight has snapped a mount but is otherwise in one piece and points in the right direction.

Elephant, my insurer, are saying different things each time we call and basically they're saying it's a total loss as their approved garage has said it requires a new front end so costs basically the same as I bought it for! How they came to this without even opening the bonnet is beyond me but I would assume they CBA to repair it. We have had another estimate done by the guy my family has used for over ten years but they're saying it's not a proper estimate as it's hand written and not typed in a PDF document.

Anyway, as it only needs the bonnet dent removed and a new light is it worth taking the hit with is being classed a CAT D/N and repair it myself? Is the insurance going to be stupid if I do?

Picture attached, ignore the bend by the bumper/wing/headlight as that was there when I got the car originally. It's basically the dent at the front which is only affecting the bonnet that is the major pain

IMG_1123.thumb.JPG.97bccde34b76d0d53c2ecc1e6df7d55a.JPG

Hi,

If you need any help with insurance at all then please feel free to drop me a line. The vast majority of our schemes have no issues cat C or D written off vehicles.

Regards,

Dan.

Thanks for the reply. I had an independent assessor come out this morning who's agreed it's not a write off at all and is going to recommend a 'cash in lieu' settlement as I can get the repair done myself by my usual garage. Seems to be a win/win IMO but obviously happy to accept advice if required!

• Like 1