Do Not Sell My Personal Information

squeaky front springs

AlexBartlam

well iv notices in the last two weeks or so my front springs are squeaking when going over speed bumps. they are still the stock springs from when new. i guessing they will need replacing am i correct. or could it be the mounts which are deteriorating. i will jack the car up this week end and have a look.

when i do loom is there anything i will have to look for on the mounts or on the spring.

There was an issue with spring squeak on some Fiestas, the fix at the time was to add a rubber sheet around the base of the spring, where it sits in the shock plate.  Might be worth checking you have those?  The springs themselves shouldn't need replacing so soon really, there will be some corrosion on them but unless it's excessive it's not a problem.

Also is it definitely a metallic squeak not a hydraulic squeak?  Shocks make a noise over speed bumps, mine seems to be a lot more noticeable in the cold when the oil is a bit thicker.

yeah its probably like you said the hydraulic squeak, its only been since the temps dropped. i will still have a look tomorrow and check all's good.

Are you sure it's from the springs?   It could be the anti roll bar bushes.

Have you swapped wheels recently? 

I get similar noises exclusively when using my winter wheels (14" aftermarket) but not my summer wheels (17" ford). 

I can't be sure its related, but could well be. 

I get this as well, it does it every winter when the temperatures drop. Oddly I had a Vectra before that did the same thing, again only when it was cold. I just put up with it, once i'm out of the car park there are no more speed humps!

On 12/1/2017 at 7:13 PM, Bobr said:

Are you sure it's from the springs?   It could be the anti roll bar bushes.

not 100% but its in the general area, but also it done it since.

On 12/1/2017 at 9:34 PM, jbell said:

Have you swapped wheels recently? 

I get similar noises exclusively when using my winter wheels (14" aftermarket) but not my summer wheels (17" ford). 

I can't be sure its related, but could well be. 

no not had wheel change.

On 12/1/2017 at 9:40 PM, greysquirrel said:

I get this as well, it does it every winter when the temperatures drop. Oddly I had a Vectra before that did the same thing, again only when it was cold. I just put up with it, once i'm out of the car park there are no more speed humps!

yes just when the temp dropped recently, it not done it since i made the post and iv been over the same bump that iv heard it on before. 

My mk4 fiesta is doing the same , squeaking on cold mornings and only on certain road surfaces. But, i do know that the wishbones need replacing in the new year, so i've put it down to that. I know its not springs as they were replaced a while back. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club