Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How often spark plugs? 1,8 duratec

revan1

Hi, i got ford focus 2005 1.8 duratec. how often is should change spark plugs?

Thanks!

I've got the 2.0 Duratec HE engine, which is same basic engine as you. Had it 2yrs now and i changed the plugs when I got it for NGK iridium ones. Checked them bout 4mth ago after 9k miles and they were fine. Just gave em bit of a clean up but they should be good for 30k.

If you don't have any paper work showing when they were last done I'd change them to be safe.

Pull them for a check but if engine is running ok they shud still be fine.

Changed mine when I bought the car 2  and a half years ago with 82000 on the clock, didn't know when they were changed before, so I done a service with genuine Ford plugs, oil and filters. I change my oil every year at about 10,000 miles again only using genuine Ford parts. I was going to change the plugs last September when I had it serviced but my mechanic said there was no need, so still in after 22,000 and no problems.

• Like 1

many car manufacturers recommend spark. plug replacement around every 4 years though they can last longer on low milage pensioner wagons

its good to pull them out every year anyways so the threads dont seize plus a great deal regarding the engines combustion efficiency can be revealed from the spark plugs condition

;-)

• Like 1

offical change interval is 3 yrs or 37.5k whichever comes first. just sold my partners honda jazz for a fiesta, and jazz had done 78k with original plugs . not that im recomending you do that on your focus. lol

hmm, interesting why every 3 years? whats happens after 3 years with spark plug?

If you don't check them the gap can grow too large and cause misfires and bad running thus causing engine problems. 3 yrs at an average of 30k by then is just the recommendation. They might be fine but as ppl have said, best to check them every year to avoid them siezing and to get an indication of overall engine condition.

Think the official change interval is 3 years or 36,000 miles.  Mine are due to be changed at the next service which is due in March.

On the 1.6 Mk2, I believe the interval is 3 years (Ian has quoted it above).

Funnily enough, about a month before 3 years had elapsed on my car, it started having a flat spot on acceleration and running a bit lumpy. Plugs changed to "normal" NGK ones fixed the issue.

I change them about every 2.5 years now. Nothing fancy. NGK plugs work fine and you can sometimes get a set from Halfords for about a tenner with a trade card.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club