Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Removing dashcam

Freddy42

The Focus was fitted with a Silent Witness SW010 dash cam by the dealer I purchased from.  It is about to move on to pastures new and I would like to remove the cam.  Starting at the windscreen mount, the cable is released as far as the bottom of the A-pillar from where it disappears to places unknown. The base of the A-pillar is reluctant to part company with the car and I don't want to force it at this stage in the proceedings. Sticking head into passenger footwell and viewing fuse layout gives no clues.

Any ideas where to look for the power source would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Open the door and remove the triangular end panel on the dashboard. Can you see the cable behind that?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Paul

No, its above the end panel by about 2 inches.  It can just be seen behind the lower edge of the A pillar trim and seems to go down from there.

If you pull off the door seal you should be able to hook the cable around without removing the A pillar cover.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

The door trim is off and you can see the camera cable passing behind the A pillar trim.  From there it goes forward a few inches and, as best I can see through the little gap, and then downwards.  Can't see it from underneath.P1040021.thumb.JPG.f0cdb1060f2229c7b2c310deb4f2495c.JPG

• Thanks 1

That's run to a harwire kit and then to a fusetap on the footwell fusebox.
If you look centre of that picture there appears to be a crimp connector behibd a bolt.
That is non standard so I would say 100% that it's the earthing point for a hardwire kit.

• Thanks 1

Yes, it's def an earth point and just behind it there seems to be a coil of wire cable clipped - probably the surplus.  You say a fuse tap.  Do you mean as in piggy-back?  I just can't find any trace of that black wire in the fuse area.  Very frustrating.

Think I can see what they've done now.  The wire from the camera has a 12v plug (as would go in the 12V outlet in the car) in a socket which must be wired somehow into the fuses.  It looks as though the glove box will have to come out to access it.  These things are sent to try us...

• Thanks 1

Managed to squeeze a small hand into the gap, cut the cable tie with a craft knife and extract it.  One cut finger in the process.  You were right about the earth, Clive.

P1040023.thumb.JPG.7ff53215f12f3cf402f9348ef7463ae5.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It does look like a pretty competent installation to be fair.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for these posts and pictures Freddy and Clive. This enabled me to competently FIT my dash-cam. All I needed was to know what came off from where easily so that I could hide all the wiring. Much appreciated.

• Like 3

Glad we could be of assistance.  That's the great thing about this forum; help and advice is freely given.

• Like 4

+1
Always glad to be of assistance [emoji4]

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club