Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2015 Mondeo M-type Fuse

Eyuppp

Hi all

Anyone tried to procure an M-type fuse for their new shape Mondeo's?  I'm trying to obtain a spare 'fuse 61' for the heated windscreen.  Its listed in the manual as an M-type 40A fuse.

So far my local ford dealership has supplied two fuses of the wrong physical size and they don't fit...   its been over a month now and its looking like these fuses are not available through the aftersales spares service.  Ford UK are discussing this with my local dealership but so far, no resolution.

So in essence it looks like the fuses fitted to the cars as they come off the production line are not available after market.... this my first Ford... am I impressed?

They're not MCASE fuses by any chance ?

MCase – the smallest case fuse on the market
The MCase fuse offers space-saving use in practical block fuse design. Its miniature base makes optimal use of the available space. It is also used in series production at Chrysler, Fiat and Ford. Other manufacturers will quickly follow. MCase is available in versions with 20A, 25A, 30A, 40A.

tech details here http://www.littelfuse.com/~/media/automotive/datasheets/fuses/passenger-car-and-commercial-vehicle/cartridge-fuses/littelfuse_mcase_plus_datasheet.pdf

If so , could be available here https://www.arc-components.com/mcase-type-cartridge-fuses.html

edit: a little more digging does seem to indicate that they might be MCASE , the Mk5 Mondeo owners manual does mention MCASE fuses in the 'Changing fuses' page http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/vdirsnet/OwnerManual/Home/Content?bookCode=O34731&languageCode=en&marketCode=US&viewTech=IE&chapterTitleSelected=G1519015&subTitleSelected=G1519016&topicHRef=G1549052&div=f&vFilteringEnabled=False

Edited by ianincheshire
more information

Thanks Ian, that's interesting.

I had a look at the datasheets but they look a little tall.  A similar 'M-type' fuse has a body size of 9.74mm x 6.32mm... I didn't measure the height.

Of the two '40A green' fuses the dealership tried, one was too big (didn't fit the hole) and the other was too tall (fit the hole - but the lid wouldn't sit flush on the fuse box... dealership thought this was okay!!!)..

Anyway I've dug out my manual, page 231 states fuse 61 to be M-type..other fuses listed in the manual are:

Micro fuse

Dual micro fuse

M-type fuse

J-type fuse

No MCase in the owners manual... so its interesting that its on the link you sent me.  I'm going to order one just to try...

Thanks

Jon

Just measured one of my M-type/Mcase fuses.... 15mm tall... so it looks like they could be Mcases - muchas appreciatas.  I'll order one and see if it fits.

Jon

Jon,

That link was for a MY2016 vehicle, maybe the 2015 manual was different. Actually I've just checked online and the 2015 HTML manual does have the MCASE refrenece but the PDF version (which is probably the same as the printed version) just refers to M-Type, go figure!:rolleyes: There is no PDF version for 2016 for them to get wrong!

Will you let us know if they are the right fuses , others (including me) may need one sometime.

I must admit, I thought I carried a pretty good selection of replacement fuses but obviously I don't, since I don't have any M-TYPE/MCASE ones as I didn't know until now that they even existed...

Hi Ian (and others following the thread)

I ordered the Mcase fuse from APC and it arrived yesterday, very quickly.  Fit the fuse this morning and its slightly too tall resulting in a not quite flush fitting fuse box lid :unsure:

This is the same issue with one of the two fuses that the Ford dealership tried.  See photo below - I don't know if you can make out that its slightly proud compared to its compatriots:

Its the bottom right one with a slightly different looking top... this is 'fuse 61'.  The ones next to it are the M-type fuses referenced in the manual.

Lets hope Ford UK come through... I'm not confident... perhaps I need a fuse from a Mk4 Mondeo (maybe my fusebox is an older type)

Jon

IMG_20171208_085502687.jpg

Hi Stoney

I'm not sure they are... J-type are also used in my fuse box and they are different.  The low profile ones have dimensions H 16 x W 14 x D 11, other M-type fuses in my fuse box are 9.74mm x 6.32mm (ish - measured with a vernier).  The J-type would be too wide.  This is the other type of fuse my local dealership ordered and tried... and it wouldn't fit in the hole!!!!

You can see my problem :sad:

Mcase - too tall

J-type low profile - too wide

Where oh where are the M-types.......

I'm beginning to think if the fuse goes you need to buy a new car!!!!:rolleyes:

Hi Ian

Sorry for the late reply.  I had another look at the fuse over the weekend, unfortunately the fuse is not the 'slotted' type.  Both the slotted and unslotted are the same height, and there is no 'keying' in the fusebox that might prevent a fuse from being fully inserted.

I had another look at the datasheet and the slotted type appears to be used if the fuse is inserted over a blade type carrier.

Below is a photo of an M-type fuse from the fusebox compared to the Mcase non-slotted fuse I ordered.  As you can see the M-type (top) is shorter than the M-case (bottom).  The M-case does fit the fusebox but because its taller I cannot close the lid.  And because the fuse box is double sided, a non-flush fitting lid (this fuse is on the bottom of the box) means the fuse box won't go back into the engine bay.

Mtype.jpg.2705ab5d31ca18ec8db8cdea85a478f6.jpg

Saying that, it does look like the 'Mcase' that's in the Ford link... .but it doesn't look like the 'Mcase' that I ordered. 

I must admit I'm not impressed that I can't get this fuse through Ford aftersales spares...  and there are several M-type fuses used in the fusebox (as well as J-type)

Btw it looks like the fuses on the 2016 model (from the link that was posted) are the same as in my 2015 paper user manual.

I'll keep everyone updated how this pans out...

I must admit I'm not impressed that I can't get this fuse through Ford aftersales spares

I get all my servicing done by a small old-style Ford retail dealer. They're very good in that you actually get to talk to the technicians face to face.  If I get chance I'll try and have a chat with them about the fuses.

In the mean time have you complained/spoken to Ford directly ?

A bit more googling found these https://www.elliottelectronicsupply.com/fuses-holders/pal-fuses/micro-mcase-40a-amp-mini-auto-automotive-fuse-6mm-x-10mm-x-15mm-tall.html . They seem to be 15mm tall rather than the 17.5 of the standard MCASE , now all we need is a UK supplier ?

what about these https://www.autoelec.com.au/prolec-16-piece-micro2-micro3-mcase-microfuse-fuse ( again not UK )

I think this https://www.pecj.co.jp/fuse/files/PEC_SBFC-M_en.pdf   may be the manufacturer rather than LittleFuse. It looks much more like your picture.

Hi Ian

Thanks for the links - I had come across Micro Mcase with the dimensions that looked about right, but none from UK suppliers - I may have to resort to buying from abroad.

Yes I have complained to Ford direct and I am in dialogue with them but so far they have not been able to offer a resolution... it has been going on since the 17th November!!!

If you can have a chat with your local garage I'd appreciate that, in the meantime I'll take another look at the links and check the data out... 

Jon

• 1 month later...

Hi all

Thought this deserved an update.  Well the heated windscreen problem is fixed - dead cell in the battery AND the dealership fitted (without asking) a taller fuse.  Consequently my fusebox lid doesn't shut flush but at least it does fit back in the engine bay.  The replacement fuse is not the same type as the original factory fitted one.

*shrug*

Ford UK are still looking into it....

6 hours ago, Eyuppp said:

Ford UK are still looking into it....

Ah, so you'll be fixing the fuse issue yourself then?!? :whip:

• 2 months later...

Yup :wallbash:

Its been a while... just thought I'd give an update.  To quote "the other part my team were hoping would be suitable for your vehicle is not a viable option. Naturally, I understand this will come as a disappointment" :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Eyuppp said:

Its been a while... just thought I'd give an update.  To quote "the other part my team were hoping would be suitable for your vehicle is not a viable option. Naturally, I understand this will come as a disappointment" :rolleyes:

Nicely understated:w00t:

• Haha 1

On 09/04/2018 at 11:56 AM, Eyuppp said:

Ah, there is a word to describe Ford UK's idea of "customer service" and it rhymes with the word "TANK!".....Ford=:fyou:

• 2 months later...

Time for an update... guess what...  still been unable to source me with the correct sized fuse!!  Next update in a few months time, bets please....  :tank:

• Haha 1

i had simular issue with mondeo fuses. not sure which one it was , but in the end the parts dept did find a fuse for me correct one. didnt show up on the parts system so no idea how they ordered it. and it was under a ford partnumber from ford.

• 10 months later...

Hello,

Hopefully this information helps:

the taller M-cases are from LF (Littelfuse).

The shorter  M-cases (M-Types) are from PEC (also sold through Bussmann).

The LPJs (low profile J-Cases) are also from PEC (also sold through Bussmann).

Sincerely, 

- The Fuse Guru 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

iantt, what was the Ford part number you had fitted? It is -3 C this morning and the heated front screen in my 2015 Mondeo 2.0TDCI is not working. I don’t want to go through the same hassle as Eyuppp.

Hi, sorry, no idea on part number now. Been Quite a while since I needed the fuse. 

• 1 year later...

Hi all and especially Eyuppp - I hope your still on here...?

did this issue get solved? We’ve just brought a 2016 Galaxy and the front power socket fuse has blown, guess what it’s a 20A m-type and I can’t seam to find one.

Did you get a replacement (correct one) and if so where from?

thanks, Bob.

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/6/2017 at 11:27 AM, ianincheshire said:

Hi all, 

Where do you even find the heated screen fuse? Doing my nut in

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club