Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Turbocharging my 1.4

Josefcowan

I was considering turbo charging my 1.4 2010 fiesta, if I used a turbocharger that came of one of the turbocharged models, could the stock internals of mine handle it?

There's a lot more to turbo charging an engine than bolting a turbo on I'm afraid! You'd be cheaper buying a turbo version in the first place, plus your insurance company will have you for it. 

Oh I understand that xD was just curious, not arsed on getting a new car any time soon, just wondering if I'll need stronger internals i.e. piston and camshafts, ect. 

Much easier to retrospectively supercharge a car.  But in both cases, I hope you have deep pockets!

The internals will be the least of my worries, as long as you don't turn up the power too much. With a turbo and supercharger you will have to ensure lubrication of the components (extra/different pump, reservoirs, oil grades, etc), cooling because of the extra heat generated (maybe a new radiator, and other more active measures), possibly redesigning the engine bay including mounting points (to fit new components in whilst ensuring that everything remains lined up on the drive train).

If you go turbo you will also have to fit extra exhaust components so you have the oomph to drive the turbine.

The list goes on.

• Like 1

I doubt anybody on here can say they've installed or know anybody who has installed a turbo from the ecoboost onto a 1.4L.

I hope you have a nice workshop to work in. You're looking at custom exhaust manifold, intercooler piping, intake piping, downpipe, new ECU, wideband, oil feed and return tapped into the engine. That's only to get the engine running. If you want more power then youd probably need new injectors, fuel pump, and a few more supporting mods that I've missed. That's even if the engine can handle the boost wothout blowing up.

Hi,

If you need any help with insurance at all for this type of conversion then please feel free to drop me a line.

Regards,

Dan.

Don't even go there.   Just buy a  turbocharged Ecoboost; it'll be cheaper in the long run.

Thank you all for your replies and insights, I shall consider all of these, eco boost engines seems to be going for £1000-£2000, which doesn't seem to bad

I think he meant getting an ecoboost car rather than an engine. It's probably just as hard as putting a turbo on yours. Remember ontop of that £2000 for the engine you'll need engine mounts, gear linkages (possibly, very likely though), ECU if it's not included, wiring loom, keys/barrel, probably instrument cluster and maybe new radio.

Just get an ecoboost car if you want a turbo pal. Much easier and cheaper in the long run.

• Like 1

You are exactly right Luke.   That is what I meant.   No point in going any other route.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club