Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help! water ingress in boot

stevewright

update :

I removed the boot carpets for them to dry, but also to help diagnose the problem.

I think ive narrowed it down, to the rear lights!

Spraying a hose on the car is the worst thing to do, because you have water coming out of every orrifice, so its hard to diagnose.

I used a jug of water, first poured on sun roof, then on rear of roof, and low and behold, the water went in.

Its coming in the right hand side, when i look up inside where the boot light is, it just trickles straight in around the light.

i didnt have time to take the light off, but is there a gasket that goes round the light, or rubber grommets or something i can replace?

I think you will find that it will run down the inside of the side seems as i stated in my last reply, try running the water half way down the light channel just above the lower light screw on both sides and then check for leaking through the two gaps on the under side of the trim if no leak then pour water from the top of the light gully just above the top light securing screw and then check for leaking again. Im convinsed its these screw locations as they dont look to be any way they are sealing.to remove the light undo the two srews and us a flat none metal item to prise the light unit of its two location pins you have to press the side of the two connecters and pull to remove light unit then you will see what i mean by no seals. atb hodges.

• 3 weeks later...

right then stevewright, hodges9566 and mgowl.

To change the rear tailgate clips is a bit of a pain, especially if you dont want to scratch your paint.

here it the part number where you have to get only from Ford.( F1211807 086210 Nut-Adjusti )

Im telling you that this will not cure the problem. I Know.

To get the clips out without damage to paintwork around the clip.

remove parcel shelf

push rear seat forward

remore rear parcel shelf plastic trim

remove pillar roof lining

push the clips up from underneath.

the new ones go in and compress the sponge :rolleyes: type seal.

then rebuild and wait for the rain.

It will not be the end of your problem.

DSC00107.jpg

DSC00104-1.jpg

DSC00116.jpg

not good how the clip is set in a channel where water runs constant.

DSC00114.jpg

nightmare.

I had that on my 54 plate fiesta, and it would have been the first thing I suggested, the vertical lights, and some poor seals, means the water drains down the side of the boot and lights, and seeps into the lights. I had my reverse light under water at one point, how it didnt blow the electrics I will never know!

but I had to replace the seals and make sure they were not over tightened.unfortunately it doesnt just drain away and it then comes in through the boot. Sorry its late advice, had I read this post sooner I would have suggested it sooner...

I had that on my 54 plate fiesta, and it would have been the first thing I suggested, the vertical lights, and some poor seals, means the water drains down the side of the boot and lights, and seeps into the lights. I had my reverse light under water at one point, how it didnt blow the electrics I will never know!

but I had to replace the seals and make sure they were not over tightened.unfortunately it doesnt just drain away and it then comes in through the boot. Sorry its late advice, had I read this post sooner I would have suggested it sooner...

Yes but this is not the only place water can get in.

I have found out that the New facelift model has the same problem.

They leak at the top of roof line

I have solved my leak - see my message of 5th February. It was the screw that holds the rear bumper to the gulley at the right hand side of the boot. The screw was about half a turn loose! I have tightened it and no more water.

I have solved my leak - see my message of 5th February. It was the screw that holds the rear bumper to the gulley at the right hand side of the boot. The screw was about half a turn loose! I have tightened it and no more water.

thanks for your reply mgowl.

would be nice to see where you mean as this could help others with this problem.

if you could. ;)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Check the metal seams on the rear pillars, still drying mine out after finding a tiny 2mm gap where the metal is tacked together. Leak gone now with silicon sealant, and the wheel well doesn't look like a small pond. Mine's a saloon but you may have same problem as me.

Hi all I see that I am not the only person with this problem with a 55 plate focus. I have replaced 6 Nut-Adjusti 2 on the bumper and 4 on the light cluster and sealed with clear silicone. Sealed all around the joints to the body and the hinge which is spot welded to the body. I still have a leak comimg through where the roof pillar lining is. I know that it is coming from the top as I can see a rust trail through a hole. I am going to remove the roof lining next to see if there is any sign under the roof.

• 4 years later...

I first noticed water on the outside of the carpet of the right hand wheel arch lining, after removing some trim, i noticed that this seems to be coming from a small, 4mm hole into the first skin, behind the light,

I've sealed up the light screw holes as i thought it was that, still leaking. I have read things about it being the hinges which are futher up the same bit of bodywork.

Spoiler leaks lights leak bumper holes leak and the hinges leak the hinge if you open the boot sits into a cup on the bodywork the upper portion is not sealed clear silicone isnt that good i use marine sealant to be damn sure it won't releak youre leaks from the hinge look at the cup the hinge will now be partially covering it as the boot went up tge bottom and sides are sealed the top is not also the rubber cable grommet goes straight into the car and relies on it being tightly fitted ide seal that up too the spolier will also leak into here pop off the interior panel below it look for any water trails on the plastic.sick of fixing leaks on the focus every time it rains people i knows focus leaks mines sealed tight

I had a water leak through the rear spoiler because it weren't sealed properly. If you got a spoiler then its worth checking there too

If in doubt... Flat Out!!

• 1 year later...

Hi. New member here, not sure if this thread is the right place to start but I'd appreciate some education about a water leak in my 2009 Focus, which seems to come from the rear of the car. I park nose-first on a slight downward slope so logically the water must be coming from the back of the car to end up in the rear left-hand footwell. If it were leaking around the tailgate hinges and/or the light cluster, would this water be able to find its way directly into the footwell without dripping into the luggage bay first? I would have expected to see/feel some evidence of it dripping down, but the luggage bay carpet stays bone-dry. Your advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.  

• 2 years later...

I'm struggling with this problem with my 04 reg Ghia hatchback, which I've owned for just over 4 years.  It does NOT have a sunroof. 

My mechanic replaced the boot rubber seal last year, although I doubted that this would solve the problem.  I've tried tipping a bottle of water over the rear light cluster, and so far, this doesn't seem to be the problem either (but it might be!). 

I suspect that the real culprit is the mysterious rubber flaps mentioned by "artscot79", designed to prevent moisture build up in the boot!!! To get in that way, I guess that water must be spraying up inside the wheel arch liners.  The carpets lining the sides of the boot get wet, as well as the floor carpet and the space under the spare wheel and jack (now a bit rusted!). I'm wondering if the wheel arch liners have not been properly secured to the bumper at some time.

Has anyone got anywhere with the rubber flap idea?

• 2 years later...

Hello everybody with a Ford Focus  MK2 hatch back.

If your car is leaking  water in the boot area and it's filling the lower part of the boot where the spare wheel sits and you can see water running down each side of the boot carpet then read on .

If you lift up the tailgate and pay attention to the gas struts at the body brackets  ( not the tailgate  brackets ) but the ones that are attached / spot welded  to the car body , here lies the problem. When these brackets were spot welded on the assembly line they burnt through the metal and in doing so made a hole which is where water is getting in . this is what you need to do.  First remove the light cluster and expose the strut bracket, If you look closely you will see two holes in the brackets . Then use some brake and carb cleaner in an aerosol and spray under the bracket to thoroughly clean and de-grease .  Once clean  you then will need to pump clear silicone sealant into these holes until you can see it appear from around the edges. this will stop all your water problems . i know because i did this on my  car. 

Clive.

• 1 year later...
On 1/29/2010 at 10:11 AM, stevewright said:

ok, it seems after the heavy rain last night in london, that my water leak is not fixed!!

does anyone have any other ideas? it seems to be coming from the right hand side of the car somewhere around the wheel arch

I have same issue right side only the bottom of wheel arch did u ever find the issue ?