Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta air filter

eagle_gr

As you already know from my previous posts, i have installed the k&n panel kit and i saw some improvement when the car has to (eg) "climb" with 3rd of even 4th gear.

I am ,however, very interested in installing the air cone filter (same company) and i want to share my concerns with you, before i do anything.

First of all, the kit itself is very expensive and i dont think i will see much improvement on the car.I want to install it because i want to install "the best" for my car. Do you think that i shouldnt change it?

Secondly, many mk7 owners who have installed the kit , dont seem to care about the heat surrounding the cone filter (and as a result drastically decrease its performance).

I want to modify or even create something that would keep the cone in a closed (sealed?) environment protected by the engines heat and at the same time connect it to the "ram-air" system that mk7 originally has. Is that possible? :unsure:

I uploaded a pic to show you what i mean.

meabe someone could explain me (or even show me a graph\pic :lol: of) the filter system (from ram air to intake).

Is it possible to sqeeze the cone in a box or a hose to protect it from the heat?

p1020042m.jpg

happy to explain it more thourougly if you are interested!

does the kit not come with a heatshield and bracket? The cone-filter kits I have seen come with a heat-shield that is fitted to a bracket, even if you wanted to make your own I can't imagine it being too difficult

does the kit not come with a heatshield and bracket? The cone-filter kits I have seen come with a heat-shield that is fitted to a bracket, even if you wanted to make your own I can't imagine it being too difficult

http://s616.photobucket.com/albums/tt245/m...pg&newest=1

i cant see any heat-shield here.

also, a friend of mine developed an inox "adapter" in order to place the sensor (here)...i dont think that it is necessary...is it? :blink:

I'm not too sure about the sensor to be honest but i'll have a look now online now cause I am sure I seen one supplied with a heat-shield :lol: maybe run the engine for a little bit then get a thermometer to see how hot it actually gets by there?

right this one here is like the one I seen fitted:

http://www.ruderacing.co.uk/Air_Filter_(Un...oduct_info.html

It's a really simple design as the diagram shows, like I said im not sure what you would do about the sensor but you could easily make one of these with some sheet metal

right this one here is like the one I seen fitted:

http://www.ruderacing.co.uk/Air_Filter_(Un...oduct_info.html

universal fit. so can we install it along with the kit? :rolleyes:

It's a really simple design as the diagram shows, like I said im not sure what you would do about the sensor but you could easily make one of these with some sheet metal

I could ask k&n but i cant wait a year or more for the response :P

here is the pumaspeed link for the cone filter

two more questions:

1)the pumaspeed site mentions that the cone filter can add 2-4 bhp whereas the panel filter can add 3-5...wtf??? :blink: :blink:

2)should i install it? ....i am a little bit suspicious...

my opinion is that you should stick with the k&n panel filter,main problem with cone filters is the space to put it,it is very hard to find a good place where it gets enough cold air...

oh,you wont get any bhp no matter what type filter it is,with the panel filter the engine feels nippier,little better throttle response and with the cone filter you just get a little better sound,but the car feels more lazy,especially in low revs

See I don't really understand this saying you won't get more power with the induction kit. The Fiesta ST was proven to have aroiund and 11bhp increase withe the kit and only 4 ish with the panel filter, and the filter was in the same place as on the new fiesta so heat soak shouldn't be an issue unless you intend on driving it below 2mph getting no air in the bay!! Yes I know the 1.6 isn't likely to create as much power but it'll sound better. bring on cais!!

cant really see how the induction kit alone could give 11bhp, from a non-turbo engine,the best thing to do is to combine the panel filter with sport exhaust and a remap...but that will affect your warranty ;)

cant really see how the induction kit alone could give 11bhp, from a non-turbo engine,the best thing to do is to combine the panel filter with sport exhaust and a remap...but that will affect your warranty ;)

surely not even close to 10++ but at least not less than the regular panel kit.

If it performs worse why even bother developing it in the first place? :blink:

surely not even close to 10++ but at least not less than the regular panel kit.

If it performs worse why even bother developing it in the first place? :blink:

It performs worse? Thats a bit odd, but I can see why..

Then again, some people out there are so damn stupid that they will buy it just because they think it looks cool........ :blink:

here

1)the pumaspeed site mentions that the cone filter can add 2-4 bhp whereas the panel filter can add 3-5...wtf??? :blink: :blink:

;)

Then again, some people out there are so damn stupid that they will buy it just because they think it looks cool........ :blink:

i dont want to be one of them...thats the reason i asked! :lol:

believe me,i ve sold lots of cone filters,most of them to people who just think they look cool,and you just cant explain that the panel filter is the best choice for their engine :blink:

eagle,i am happy you are not one of them,stick to the panel filter,probably k&n one,the car will accelerate a bit smoother,and it will not effect your warranty :)

Any ford dealer that throws out a warranty claim because of an induction kit is mad unless its contributing to the problem, then obviously it needs to go.

Fast Ford did the test on the induction kits so only telling it as it was printed... check out fiesta stoc.com if your a member and you can view the sticky on the general power forum.

believe me,i ve sold lots of cone filters,most of them to people who just think they look cool,and you just cant explain that the panel filter is the best choice for their engine :blink:

eagle,i am happy you are not one of them,stick to the panel filter,probably k&n one,the car will accelerate a bit smoother,and it will not effect your warranty :)

Does a K&N panel filter have any noticeable increase in performance or benefits for noise? Looking to have it as my first addition once i get my ZS in March :D

Does a K&N panel filter have any noticeable increase in performance or benefits for noise? Looking to have it as my first addition once i get my ZS in March :D

It gives a little smoother acceleration,especially in higher revs,the car feels more alive,no benefits for noise though... :)

If people are looking for a decent induction kit then I'm in touch with Pete from GSR Engineering at the moment and he's willing to design an induction kit for the mk7. His kits get rave reviews over on the fiat forums and the zetec s owners club. They're a propper cold air intake system, open filter located away from the hot bay and in a place where they get plenty of cool air. Would anyone on here be interested in the kit? Obviously a group buy would probably make them cheaper but i'll let everyone know when I know more myself.

you posted the same thing on another topic , but i think that here is better.

yes, I AM INTERESTED :P

id be in a decent induction kit, not interested in any of these k&n cone filters, if a decent enclosed one was made, id buy one, like a BMC CDA one, or one like these...

raceland-ro-pt-206-2-0.jpg

raceland-rk-pt-li-02.jpg