Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk3 1.6 ti vct issues

Davies85

Hi everyone, new to the forums

Been having intermittant issues with my mk3 focus since june.

Feel like the car is running on half the power and is really throaty when accelerating.

If i turn the engine off and restart it clears but is getting worse with the cold weather.

Also finding the car is jerky on and off throttle at low speeds.

No engine light and no fault codes on torque app.

Any suggestions?

When was it last serviced? 

I’ve seen issues like this with spark plugs and related wiring etc but I’m no mechanic. 

oil and filters done about 4k ago, only got 28k on clock, i have heard alot about variable cams and solenoid issues 👎

Variable cam and solenoid issues are usually in relation to the earlier incarnation of the Ti-VCT engines fitted in the MK2 Focus not the MK3 version. I've heard of very little issues being attributed to the 125bhp version in the Mk3.

When was the last time the car had it's spark plugs changed and what fuel do you use?

• Like 1

Only had the car just over 12 months so only had oil and filter change, i usually tend to use Shell normal fuel.

Its really strange it comes and goes but seems to be alot worse in the cold weather.

Might be spark plugs, coils or HT Leads. If you've had it over 12 months why hasn't it had it's full annual service yet?

Sorry to jump in this thread I have mk2 focus ti-vct are they that bad for the ti-vct to go wrong. Mine only got 71 thousand on clock, I've had it 2yr. Is it common in most mk2 or in certain years.

Mine had regular yearly oil and oil cleaner changes, ive changed plugs, plugs leads, air filter.

To be honest on that mk 2 common fault thread I've had nearly all apart from the ti-vct unit go, it's still working ok as i switch car off it ticks down.

Thanks

Based on mileage is why the spark plugs were not changed i have only just covered 10k from when i bought it.

The plugs were in good condition when checked.

The lack of power seems to be over 3k rpm when cold, once i turn the engine off and restart its fine for a while and can sometimes go back into a reduced power with this throaty (induction) type noise when accelerating 

If it was sparks wouldnt this be throughout the rev range? My car is a very early mk3 registerrd april 2011 and from reading other comments from other forums its similar to the ti vct issues

• 3 months later...

Hi same problem with my focus cold damp weather runs with lack of power, stop car after a few minutes and restart it runs fine cannot not seem to find why this happens. Car sounds like its being starved of air .PLEASE ANYONE WITH ANY ANSWERS ?

On 10/12/2017 at 1:40 PM, Davies85 said:

Only had the car just over 12 months so only had oil and filter change, i usually tend to use shell normal fuel.

Its really strange it comes and goes but seems to be alot worse in the cold weather.

How old is the car?  You say you've had it 12 months, but don't indicate if you bought it new or used.  I'm presuming its at least three years old, else you'd chuck the keys at the dealer and let the warranty take care of it.

If it is a few years old and very new mileage if should have been on the arduous duty service schedule and should have had new plugs.  Low mileage, short journeys, plugs don't like it at all 

On 09/12/2017 at 6:04 PM, Davies85 said:

Hi everyone, new to the forums

Been having intermittant issues with my mk3 focus since june.

Feel like the car is running on half the power and is really throaty when accelerating.

If i turn the engine off and restart it clears but is getting worse with the cold weather.

Also finding the car is jerky on and off throttle at low speeds.

No engine light and no fault codes on torque app.

Any suggestions?

Same problem with my focus 1.6 ti-vtc 125bp 2011 only seems to happen when cold even after engine gets to working temp .Switch engine off for a couple of minutes then ok.

If anybody has any anwsers would be great.

I would change the spark plugs my focus was jerky at low speeds and ran a little roughly new plugs resolved the issue.  Plugs are generally due for a change around the 37.5k mark.

• 2 years later...

Hey! Has anybody solved this loss of power problem. I'm having it on my mk3 ford focus 1.6 ti-vct. It only appears to happen once the car has been started and doesn't appear whilst already driving. Put my foot to the floor and the needle barely moves and sounds throaty and a loss of power its terrible up hills. But I can turn the engine off and on again and it clears it. I've changed spark plugs and everything but no luck. Also I bought the car last September and drove perfectly with no misfires or issues until the colder months when I started getting this problem. But now its getting warmer its gone again. Is bugging me what it could be. Thanks

• Sad 1

• 5 months later...
On 4/18/2020 at 4:43 PM, Danb1989 said:

Hey! Has anybody solved this loss of power problem. I'm having it on my mk3 ford focus 1.6 ti-vct. It only appears to happen once the car has been started and doesn't appear whilst already driving. Put my foot to the floor and the needle barely moves and sounds throaty and a loss of power its terrible up hills. But I can turn the engine off and on again and it clears it. I've changed spark plugs and everything but no luck. Also I bought the car last September and drove perfectly with no misfires or issues until the colder months when I started getting this problem. But now its getting warmer its gone again. Is bugging me what it could be. Thanks

Hi, did you get to the bottom of this?

I have experienced the same problem for a while. Car is serviced and well looked after. New plugs recently. Had it 6 years, this issue appears then turn off and on and clears. Sometimes it starts fine then throaty noise and power loss develops. No fault codes when code read. 

thanks

• Sad 1

• 4 months later...

Hi, same issue as described above, did anybody find a solution?

Thanks!

• 1 year later...

On 2/20/2021 at 4:11 PM, Levente said:

Hi, same issue as described above, did anybody find a solution?

Thanks!

Letting the coolant reach temp before putting the foot down always works for me but the one huge thing I did that made a ridiculous amount of difference to the performance is gap the sark plugs from 1.3mm to 1.2mm and make sure to be consistent with all the plugs...  it was literally night and day different for such a small change

I was scouring fourms and information on my performance issues and a few people mentioned plug gap and with it essentially having intermittent spark issues with that wider gap

On 11/16/2022 at 10:20 PM, MartinJClem said:

Letting the coolant reach temp before putting the foot down always works for me but the one huge thing I did that made a ridiculous amount of difference to the performance is gap the sark plugs from 1.3mm to 1.2mm and make sure to be consistent with all the plugs...  it was literally night and day different for such a small change

I was scouring fourms and information on my performance issues and a few people mentioned plug gap and with it essentially having intermittent spark issues with that wider gap

Thanks you for the suggestion. I will take a look at the spark plug gap. Will see hopefully it will help.

• 1 month later...
On 11/19/2022 at 6:52 AM, Levente said:

Thanks you for the suggestion. I will take a look at the spark plug gap. Will see hopefully it will help.

The issues has been creeping back for myself, the regapping defiinelty improved it overall feel but now the lack of power seems to come back intermittently....

Ive found for some odd reason though, when i start the car in the morning, i put the A/C on for roughly 30 seconds then turn it off and drive... consistency for the past week ive done this and the car pulls wonderfully throughout every gear each time... its the most bizarre behaviour!

Try this for yourselves and update me wether its only myself experiencing this!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club