Do Not Sell My Personal Information

focus power steering pump and pipe

hodges9566

Had to replace power steering pump and pipe at 38,0000 on 4 year old 1.6 ghia which cost 500 notes so im not to happy. Has any one else had this at such low miles or now any thing about a problem and can i claim anything back of fords.By the way car was 1 month out of warranty, just my luck.

Being of such low mileage and only a month out of warranty, you should try to get some sort of reimbursement, either from the dealership or from Ford.

My Mother-in-law had a steering wheel replaced and because of the low mileage of her Fiesta, and it was a full year out of warranty, they met her 90% of the way. It would be worth looking in to.

Mike

this is a known fault with your model, my brother has also suffered this at about 40k on a 2005(55) 1.6

this is a known fault with your model, my brother has also suffered this at about 40k on a 2005(55) 1.6

Has any one managed to get anything back for this and how did you go about it.

Has any one managed to get anything back for this and how did you go about it.

youre best bet is phone yoioure local ford dealer and explain the issue to them

Had to replace power steering pump and pipe at 38,0000 on 4 year old 1.6 ghia which cost 500 notes so im not to happy. Has any one else had this at such low miles or now any thing about a problem and can i claim anything back of fords.By the way car was 1 month out of warranty, just my luck.

Sorry to jump on this thread, Is it possible to purchase the pipe separately, i have aan oil leak on pipe connector at sreering pump end, any idea of cost

Cheers

LD

youre best bet is phone yoioure local ford dealer and explain the issue to them

CAZ123 1ST fEBRUARY 2010 20.30 HOURS

Also had problem with 2006 Focus Sport 1.6 Power Steering Pump and its associated feed pipe needed replacing costing £514, my car being seven months outside manufacturers warranty, dealer who supplied car recons they have no known history of this problem and i should contact Ford etc. Anyone got any ideas on how best to proceed? as the option to phone Ford seems a potential time wasting exercise.

CAZ123 1ST fEBRUARY 2010 20.30 HOURS

Also had problem with 2006 Focus Sport 1.6 Power Steering Pump and its associated feed pipe needed replacing costing £514, my car being seven months outside manufacturers warranty, dealer who supplied car recons they have no known history of this problem and i should contact Ford etc. Anyone got any ideas on how best to proceed? as the option to phone Ford seems a potential time wasting exercise.

it may be but it is the only option available in all honesty

Hi

I am a new member just read about the problem with power steering pump my Focus had to be done last year when it had only 20K on the clock my mechanic told me that the part that he put on was a little different than the one that came off does that mean that ford have updated the part because of all the problems they have had with this part, and could anybody tell me if they have been able to get anything from ford on this matter?

Hi

I am a new member just read about the problem with power steering pump my Focus had to be done last year when it had only 20K on the clock my mechanic told me that the part that he put on was a little different than the one that came off does that mean that ford have updated the part because of all the problems they have had with this part, and could anybody tell me if they have been able to get anything from ford on this matter?

if the par was update then yes ford were aware there was an issue with it though getting anything back is a different matter talk to youre local dealer but i doubt youde get anywhere to be honest

if the par was update then yes ford were aware there was an issue with it though getting anything back is a different matter talk to youre local dealer but i doubt youde get anywhere to be honest

Thanks for that I thought has much just hope ther is no more problems with it exspensive job, but having said that with my local mechanic doing the job got the job done complete for around the price for part from Ford.

• 3 months later...

Ford Focus 1.6 ghia november 2005.

Today, my power steering fluid has just completey drained itself and now i dont have any power steering..

i have located the 'leak' as coming from the pipe connector that feeds the supply to the power steering pump.

Not the crimp and rubber pipe connection,BUT, the next bit, which is the elbow going into the power steering pump on the feed side..

Does anyone know if this elbow can come out of the pump and somehow be put back in and the joint made good?

This really does seem to be a design fault, but i'm not wanting to go to fords and pay £500 for all new bits and work done, for it to just go again at some point in the future..

Can anyone advise?

Thanks.

I'm new here. I've been googling power steering problems with Focus' as I have just taken my car to the garage after the power steering has failed again. This is the second time in 18 months! Last time it cost me just over £400. This time it's going to just under £600. I'm not a happy chappy. The garage have contacted Ford parts to see if there is any warranty etc but as it's 6 months past the 12 months warranty we have no option but to pay up again. Our local Ford have 60 units in stock so it seems they are aware of the problems. They have also put their prices up a hell of a lot in the last 18months. The pipe was £40 18 months ago - it costs £80 now! Seems Ford are aware of the problem and are making money out of it too. I'm fuming :( It's such a shame as my car is a really good car, apart from this!!!

• 3 months later...

hi m8 i have had the same problem with my focus its an 06 plate zetec n my powersteering has gone n also i havent done many miles in my car i belive there is 38k

I can not believe that this issue is so common.....i was at a driving event yesterday and driving an aston martin (great fun) on my way there steering went with the same problem....luckily I had managed to get to the event but how ironic my car breaksdown while I am at the event! my 55 plate focus has 39k on the clock leaking fluid etc......I didn't risk driving it and had to be towed home.

A couple of quick questions.....what kind of cost is reasonable? and can I drive it to the local garage? (the garage is about 1 mile away)

I had a new power steering hose fitted at 38k. The original split whilst driving and left me with no power steering? It cost me about £100 for a new one fitted including power steering fluid. At a none ford garage. :angry:

I had a new power steering hose fitted at 38k. The original split whilst driving and left me with no power steering? It cost me about £100 for a new one fitted including power steering fluid. At a none ford garage. :angry:

Also had similar problem with 55 reg focus zetec climate with 44k. Bought car in last year and within 1 month power steering went. dealer replaced pipe and put new belt on and went again in June. Again new belt on as they said that rollers etc were fine and for the 3rd time belt has gone. Very very unhappy. This time saying needs new power steering pump and cost should lie with me but trying to challenge as existing problem when bought car and the first time belt went was still within warranty. Very interesting to read that others having similar issue with car. Question now is did the new pump solve your problems or is it better to get rid of car and start again with something else? Shame as really like the car but is this going to turn into a money pit? Input gratefully received!

Our garage advised us to get rid before it went again - they think we'd get another 12 - 18 months and it would likely go again. They think that there is a batch of cars that have a fault or else Ford wouldn't be stocking up on such an expensive item.

I also have a 55 plate 1.8 TDCI Zetec Climate. My power steering pump went a couple of weeks ago, the car's on 53,000 miles. Mine has an electric one which isn't belt driven like some of the others. Ford quoted me £600 to replace it but I bought a 2nd-hand pump from a 2007 focus at a breaker's yard and got a mate to fit it which only cost £170 all-in.

• 3 weeks later...

My Girlfriends 55 Reg (less than 20k miles) Focus just lost power steering on her way home, luckily within a couple of miles from home.

Looking like its either the pump or the pipe from the pump thats faulty.

My job to investigate and repair later,

Can anyone advise if its likely to be the pipe of the pump, all worked ok until it dumped all its power steering fluid today!!!

Randy

• 1 month later...

My power steer pump is leaking fluid. I got an ex Ford machanic to take a look he told me it is a know fault. The car is an 05 Focus 1.6 Ghia and we have had it since new. It's has done less than 36,000.

• 8 months later...

just registered today as an hardcore ford lover...just been to garage to book in a repair for the power steering pump, and im glad i was sat down at the time, when he hit me with the price..ive come home to find some things out about this, and the posts are the same issues as mine..

2005 ford focus sport climate 1600cc withn 39k on the clock,,,seems a bit of a coinsidence that most of these are the same car , year, and even mileage ????

this will take 2. 5 hours to repair with a cost of £180 just for the pump......

so im expecting somewhere around £300,, never mind, my repair bills in the last 8 years on my past fords is only this 1......

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I had my car checked out and I now have to buy a new Power Steering Pump for my 2006 Ford Focus. :angry: I have only done 25k and reading this triggered me to join and respond on here. Been looking on eBay for a second hand option, as buying new is extortionate! Should the Power Steering Pump be leaking at under 25k? My car is currently unusable as it is making a noise and now the steering wheel gets impossible to move when trying to make turns or park, it is completely stiff! Sigh :(

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club