Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Do I have an issue starting?

Guzzilazz

Hi all,

My lovely Focus has behaved "outside normal" twice in the last 5 days.  Car hadn't been used Wednesday-Friday, and when I got in first thing it seemed to crank for probably 3 times the normal length of time.  I paid it no attention, other than filing it away, and since the car was in for annual service yesterday I mentioned it then, and was told basically no fault found.  I was happy with that, but surprised when it was the same this morning.  It seems to crank for about 3-4 seconds (very lively cranking), long enough to make you think it isn't going to start...

Nothing in the info display on the dash...

the nice cold weather we have at the moment makes cars a little longer to start at times. so nothing to worry about :smile:

Couldn't be the battery could it?  If your not driving it much it might not be getting a chance to recharge.  My ageing focus (2008 diesel), fires up with very little cranking even this morning in the extreme cold.

It cranks like mad and just takes a while to fire, the dealer tested the battery on Monday as I'd reported last week's incident.  I'll keep an eye on it

I had one of these moments myself but all my displays went blank whilst trying to start. I have started making sure the air-con, rear screen heater isn't on when starting, seems to have made a little difference, unless it was a coincidence. I also start with the clutch pedal pressed down.

Ecoboost 1.0 doesn't have a choice... unlock car, sit in seat, clutch in, press button... 

Being a Titanium you've probably got lights, wipers, climate control etc coming on while trying to start though?  I always thought it was a bit weird it doesn't wait until the engine starts to switch auto items on on the Mk2.  Maybe try switching those off before you next leave the car for a few days?  Have you got a dashcam with 'park mode' at all?  Anything left plugged in lighter socket?

Mine can be a bit slow to start on a Monday as I don't use it on weekends and often only do a few miles on a Friday, but soon picks up after a short drive.

I don't believe the issue can be associated with power consumption as the starter spins very quickly... It's just firing that is delayed. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club