Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus Mk2.5 Drivers Outer Door Handle Not Working

AndyJ78

A few days ago when the freezing temperatures hit I went out to get the car sorted so I could go to work.  Long story short, the drivers door handle was frozen.  I was as gentle as I could be wiggling it slowly until it opened.  Unfortunately as it opened something broke and it now won't open the door.  The central locking still works and the inner door handle will still open the door but not the outer handle.

The question I have is, is this just a replacement of a cable within the door between the handle and the locking mechanism ( if the cable has snapped which I think it has) or would the whole locking mechanism need to be replaced (is it a "1 piece" solution)?   I can't seem to find any photos or info on the internet that answers this.  Also any ideas on price for either repair?

Thanks in advance!  Andy

On the back of the handle inside the door is a solid linkage rod.
It has most likely snapped out of the plastic tab inside the handle.
Removing the door card to see where the linkage rod is sitting would be the best option.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Ah so it may not have snapped, possibly just popped out then.  Fingers crossed.  If the cable has snapped do you know if it is possible to replace just the cable or would I have to replace the whole locking mechanism?  Thanks!

The bars just clip into slots iirc.

I'd pull up a parts image with an exploded view for you but unfortunately I'm at the other end of the country to my PC until late monday.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Just seen this and assume you have fixed it by now. The same thing happened to me and it was the cable that snapped just at the end where it connects to the handle lever.  I ended up using a crimped electrical connector and small nut and bolt to reconnect it, but it did look as if the  cable could be changed out without needing the whole mechanism. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club