Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Are winter tires OK on just the front on a FWD car

Geoff813

The dealer is telling the wife that she needs the same tires on all 4 wheels yet we have done winter fronts only since 1995 with various FWD only vehicles without any problems.

Geoff

The risk is you will have more grip at the front and less on the rear which could potentially cause an oversteer. Personally I wouldn't fit 2 winter tyres to a vehicle for myself or anyone else. 

• Like 3

Fit all four or not at all.

The latest bit of snow mine were invaluable on uncleared roads and have got me everywhere except up the steepest of hills - and aside from the hill, didn't once set off the esp or abs - and I don't hang about!

• Like 2

on my previous fiesta I had winter tyres on front only. I did not really choose winter tyres. I needed new tyres and someone nearby was selling virtually new winter tyres on the correct fiesta wheels on eBay. so I bought them for £10 each (as no on else bid which was probably because they were collection only and no postage option).  No problems.

It can not be all that dangerous to do this otherwise it would be mentioned in the MOT test manual.

Yes you may have more grip on the front than the rear, but that would be the case if I had all 4 matching tyres with 3mm on the front tyres and 6mm on the rear tyres.

21 hours ago, isetta said:

It can not be all that dangerous to do this otherwise it would be mentioned in the MOT test manual.

an omission in the mot test manual is hardly an endorsement that its a good idea in the first place

Yes you may have more grip on the front than the rear, but that would be the case if I had all 4 matching tyres with 3mm on the front tyres and 6mm on the rear tyres.

the driving characteristics between completely different tyre compounds on the front and back will be considerably more pronounced and severe than driving with the same tyres that have varying levels of tread....

the youtube vid posted above is pretty conclusive if you ask me so long story short use winter tyres on all 4 wheels or dont bother at all quite simply

• Like 2

You'd be surprised at the amount of legal 'loopholes' shall we say in the mot system! An mot doesn't mean a car is 'safe' either. 

"You'd be surprised at the amount of legal 'loopholes' shall we say in the mot system! An mot doesn't mean a car is 'safe' either. "

I know. one of them being shock absorbers that are ineffective are allowed, as long as you can't see them leaking.

I live in the place where we actually have something that reminds of winter (bit less lately though) and I have to ride in really slippery conditions. During soviet era we just did not have winter tires available so I have driven around for many winters with summer tires and now we have mandatory winter tires. I would never ever use winter tires on one axle and summer tires on other. It is totally idiotic thing to do and will absolutely and totally mess up the cars handling. Now bringing up the fact that our cars have stability controls and other driving aids, that will mess up things even further.

Sure, if it happens to be dry asphalt even in winter, then no problem but when it is slippery and you actually need your car to handle, then it's game over.

• Like 2

Shame really to see how little concern exists surrounding other parties that may be involved should something go wrong.

I wonder if you walk peacefully and some guy with a mix and match approach like yours hits you because he lost control of his vehicle. He did save a few bucks, he is alright, but will you be? Now imagine if it is your little girl or boy that ends up under someone's car because they had the wrong tires on the front. 

On a closing note, in my area the insurance will not cover anything under a mix and match condition and to fix a small scratch / repaint your bumper is 1000 euros. Imagine if you do a bit more damage to it and you require a serious make over. 

P.S.

My Focus does not have the best winter tire, however, the Conti 850 are decent enough.  My new Focus RS will come with Sotto Zero Pirelli for winter on 18 inch which is safe enough to drive. Similar, my soon to be replaced focus has Michelin PS3 summer tires and the RS has Super Sport. I will make sure that my car will always have the proper tire set up because it may save my life or someone's. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club