Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Removing Black Box telematics

lwatson99

Hi,

Just to clarify, I am no longer with my black box insurer so am not voiding any contract.

so, having made it through my first year without crashing, I no longer have a black box insurance policy. The joys of a NCD! However, the black box is still fitted somewhere behind my glove box and I COULD pay my thieving Ex insurance company £100 to come out and remove it however I paid enough for my insurance as it was!

does anyone know what wires the black box is usually connected to/runs off of or knows how to remove it as I’d rather not have a tracking device fitted in my car when it’s not needed.

thanks.

It's usually piggybacked to the obd port, disconnecting that and relocating the original port should be enough.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

It depends who you was with. Some are only tapped from power from the fusebox. Others to the fuel pump (incase it gets stolen you can't start it), or as above to the obd2. There should be an inline fuse (or two) so maybe just disconnect there and pull as much wiring out as you can see.

• Like 1

I was with Ingenie if it helps. 

But thanks, I shall try and find it. Anyone know what they look like?

It looks like a black box lol...  Similar to an external hard drive size.  I don't think they continue tracking after you cancel though, they just remotely deactivate the SIM afaik.

3 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

It looks like a black box lol...  Similar to an external hard drive size.  I don't think they continue tracking after you cancel though, they just remotely deactivate the SIM afaik.

Again, depends who you were with. I pulled one out for somebody and he said the terms stated that the insurance company may continue to monitor your driving data for statistical purposes once you finish the year. Wasn't quite worded like that, but it was words to that effect.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, lwatson99 said:

I was with Ingenie if it helps. 

But thanks, I shall try and find it. Anyone know what they look like?

I used ingenie when I had my previous car. When they installed the black box they said you can leave it in there even when selling the car which I did. I don't think you should remove it

2 hours ago, zain611 said:

I used ingenie when I had my previous car. When they installed the black box they said you can leave it in there even when selling the car which I did. I don't think you should remove it

I can understand wanting to remove it and they have all the right to (it's basically a GPS tracker, I wouldn't want it on my car unless I had to) but It depends whether the insurance company wants it back, they'd have to find out.

1 hour ago, ToXIcG said:

it's basically a GPS tracker

Someone else to add to those already tracking your movements

10 minutes ago, eddie eastwood said:

Someone else to add to those already tracking your movements

Not true. I have my tin foil hat on.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Luke4efc said:

Not true. I have my tin foil hat on.

Might want a tin foil hat for your phone as well...  We're all permanently carrying around a device that can triangulate your location while constantly collecting audio and visual data, which can all be tracked by major companies like Google... :ohmy:  

9 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Might want a tin foil hat for your phone as well...  We're all permanently carrying around a device that can triangulate your location while constantly collecting audio and visual data, which can all be tracked by major companies like Google... :ohmy:  

Hey don't tell me what I already know, it scares me :laugh:

• Haha 1

On 19/12/2017 at 10:13 AM, TomsFocus said:

There was a way on Google to change your location or block it. I can't remember how, I remember my teacher in secondary school telling me. Only benefit I'd say to keeping the black box if your not using the same insurance is that they could track the car if it ever gets stolen 

I do keep location/GPS switched off, but the SIM and phone masts have to send signals to each other regularly so we're still trackable, just a bit less accurate than GPS. :ph34r:  

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club