Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Installing a dash cam

Lars G

Tomorrow I take delivery of my nearly new Mondeo Estate 210 Diesel and will be saying goodbye to my trusty Focus 1.6 Ecoboost Estate. I had wired my dash cam into the fuse box using a piggy back connector. So that I don't have to spent hours scrabbling about trying to find a fuse that is only live when the ignition is on, and doesn't stay live while the car powers down or while it sits on the drive etc, can any one tell me which fuse socket to use?

I have a 4 month old st line and I used a fuse in the drivers footwell
As far as I remember it was the 3rd one from the left Bottom row.
I will double check tomorrow.
Note. The fuses are very small, I think Micro size?.

• Like 1

I’m going to be installing my dashcams soon after recently changing cars.

I was thinking of using fuse no. 23, a 10Amp micro fuse, which is labelled as the ‘delayed accessory power’.  Not had a chance yet to put the multimeter on it.

These fuses are located in the front passenger footwell.

I completely forgot about this
I will check tomorrow for you.

Heated rear window is switched by the ignition and has capacity to spare.

I’m going to be installing my dashcams soon after recently changing cars.
 I was thinking of using fuse no. 23, a 10Amp micro fuse, which is labelled as the ‘delayed accessory power’.  Not had a chance yet to put the multimeter on it.
These fuses are located in the front passenger footwell.

Have you done this yet? If you use this fuse then it will most likely stay live for around 75mins after you kill the ignition, unless you have changed it in Forscan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What way are you guys hard wiring the camera in ? Or are you following a diagram of sorts ?

Dunno about the others but I bought a hardwire kit with my Nextbase.  The instructions can be found on there website.  

Just piggyback a live ignition fuse.

Will also need to earth it to a screw or bolt that is directly into the chassis.

Theres a few guides on YouTube, just not Mondeo specific!

I am installing my Dashcam tomorrow guys.
Is there an obvious place to earth it by the fusebox?

Did you get it done yet? There are 1 or 2 suitable locations, I found a pre drilled hole already there and used one of my own nuts and bolt to wire it up. If you wired it to an ignition live then why did you get one of the boxes?

No diagram followed, it was easy and as I didn’t want to have mine on whilst I was parked up I didn’t buy a box. If you intend to cut the 12v plug off the end of the OEM camera wire then you will need to get some sort of step down box before it is wired direct to the fuse box. I got a new 12v socket designed for a motorbike and wired that onto a piggyback fuse holder and then earthed it to the chassis. Then plugged the camera lead into the socket.

• Like 1

Firstly fuse number 35 is ignition on in the footwell. Sounds simple, use a fuse tap and hey presto... 

No such luck. The Micro 2 fuse number 35 is small and low profile. It sits in the fuse box and is surrounded by a plastic lip. Fuse taps have to be installed the correct way round. Unfortunately the plastic lip of the fuse box GETS IN THE WAY and the fuse tap cannot be inserted into the fuse holder.

Talk about frustration. Fuses 26, 27, 28 are all either 30A or 20A and live. Otherwise as per the photo the fuses are recessed.

If only a fuse tap existed in a left hand rather than right hand orientation. 

Looks like I will have to tap into the overhead console.

That flaming plastic recessed fuse box. It was a 10 minute job on my old Focus.

9E0EB664-BD9D-429C-A635-8CB0956524B5.jpeg

On 27/12/2017 at 10:25 PM, Jonro2009 said:

Have you done this yet? If you use this fuse then it will most likely stay live for around 75mins after you kill the ignition, unless you have changed it in Forscan

Not done yet.  Found out I didn’t have the correct sized piggy back fuse (mini instead of micro2). 🙁

I can confirm my 12v socket does maintain power for 75mins once ignition is off.

I’ve had a look at the overhead console option but would prefer not to have to cut existing wiring.  Access is good though for live and Earth.

Has anyone made a connection to a switched live in the boot area?  I have a hatchback and also a camera I can use here.  I removed the trim around the upper part of the rear window and could see two aerial amplifiers but it looks like I’m going to need either the boot light or the wiper motor.

On 29/12/2017 at 6:31 PM, kpg said:

What way are you guys hard wiring the camera in ? Or are you following a diagram of sorts ?

I’m using the hardwired kit supplied by the camera manufacturer.  For me that’s RoadHawk.

I used the 12v fuse for mine. It stays on for 15 minutes after I lock the car but comes on as soon as I unlock it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hellboy said:

I used the 12v fuse for mine. It stays on for 15 minutes after I lock the car but comes on as soon as I unlock it.

Which fuse was this?

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 04/01/2018 at 6:19 PM, The_Bandit said:

Which fuse was this?

Sorry for the late reply. I am sure you done it now. But I can't remember of the top of my head. I just plugged a 12v usb plug into my socket with a light on. And pulled out each fuse until it went off.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club