Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Fiesta Front Wipers Timing

dansallis

This is mainly aimed at those who own Mk7 or Mk7.5 Fiestas.

When I am driving along at around 70 mph (of course) on the motorway and press the windscreen wash button, the wipers seem to come on well before the washer fluid begins flowing. 
Most of the time the wipers will have done an entire sweep (home > top > home) before any washer fluid actually hits the windscreen.

I was wondering if this is normal and whether anyone else has this delay? Or perhaps a worse delay?

yes. It's annoying. I hate the washer button being linked to the wipers. so this time of year I drive on the motorway and get dried salt spay of the screen. I then want to wash the screen, press the button and find the washer fluid does not flow as frozen, but then the wipers move and smear the dirt and I can't see anything.  On old cars you could press the washer button to see if fluid flowed before you operated the wipers separately.  If this could be stopped by just snipping one wire I would snip the wire if I knew which one but I suspect it is not as simple as that as it's all controlled by the some computer thing I believe. 

or can I do it using Forscan? anyone know?

Is the delay in water coming out normal on the Fiesta's? is it the same in the summer or is it a case that it's winter and the water is frozen and you need more screenwash additive?

If it's normal, maybe you can add a one way valve to stop the fluid draining back down to the bottle.

If you just lightly tap the window washer button you will be able to spray a bit of washer fluid without the wipers activating.

I don't think it is frozen at the moment. The outside temperature when I left this morning (5.00am) was 7 degrees Celsius.

I am going to top it up tonight anyway and I'll see whether it was doing that because it was low.

"If it's normal, maybe you can add a one way valve to stop the fluid draining back down to the bottle."

good suggestion. I would have hoped they would have this as standard. maybe they do (I don't know) and it has got stuck open. 

• 1 month later...

I had this issue with my Fiesta. Simply fitted a NRV (check Valve) in the hose under the bonnet. Instant wash. 

• Like 1

On 19/12/2017 at 5:09 PM, BJT said:

If you just lightly tap the window washer button you will be able to spray a bit of washer fluid without the wipers activating.

Just tried that on the way home and it works a treat.

• Like 1

On 5 February 2018 at 12:52 PM, Cragrat said:

I had this issue with my Fiesta. Simply fitted a NRV (check Valve) in the hose under the bonnet. Instant wash. 

Do you have a link or part number for the NRV?

On 7 February 2018 at 7:16 PM, Cragrat said:

Halfords. Bought it a few years ago, it's been sitting in my garage waiting for this moment.

Something like Halfords In-Line Valve HFX 370?

seems strange they don't actually describe it as a non return valve, reviews seem to describe it better than Halfords do!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club