Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2.0 duratorq 143ps poor starting

benali10

My 2009 2.0 duratorq 143ps 70k miles has weird intermittent starting problems. It on occasions just fails to fire up. Turns over nice and quick but just doesn’t fire up. It can be when it’s hot or cold no particular pattern. When it doesn’t start after 3 or 4 times the trip computer will want to rest itself (not sure if that’s relevant). It’s just been serviced with new air filter. It’s difficult to take to a garage as it only does it 20% of the time. Any common issues i.e.. Glow plugs, immobilizer, diesel filter. Any ideas?

I was just going to post the same problem, I've connected up Forscan to read the codes but none found.

once started all runs fine, now baffled, last serviced with all filters 6k miles ago, at first thought it was the battery but now changed that.

its as though something isn't connecting at start up, , 

Probably worth changing the glow plugs if they haven't been changed recently. Modern cars will use the glow plugs during normal driving too and not just for starting the engine.

Unlikely to be glow pugs as these don't come on till -5

I'm just hoping it's not the DMF , clutch and starter motor problem.

17 hours ago, pragmatix said:

Unlikely to be glow pugs as these don't come on till -5

I'm just hoping it's not the DMF , clutch and starter motor problem.

Now THAT would be painful for the old wallet.

I'm convinced it's the starter motor, if it cranks slowly the ECU doesn't get the signal to allow fueling, 

On Wednesday December 20, 2017 at 9:57 AM, benali10 said:

When it doesn’t start after 3 or 4 times the trip computer will want to rest itself

Well that's connected but it is an effect not a cause.

Turns over nice and quick but just doesn’t fire up

You are using the right oil aren't you (although this only really causes cold start problems)?

For the clutch (etc) problems if you can clean up the crankshaft position sensor and things improve (for a while) then that is a good clue. Unfortunately it s a good clue that the clutch/dpf s shedding material and is probably towards the end of it life. In some cases a similar thing happens wth the pinion on the starter motor picking up (technical term, here) crud and slowing down engine cranking.

If the fuel line to the fuel filter has an air leak that also cause simethiing similar as you have to re-prime the filter before it starts. Often this is helped by turning the ignition on for ~ten seconds, off for a short while, back on for ten seconds, off for a short while, and only then trying to start. This can also work if the glow plug doesn't stay on for long enough (and the glow plug on times look a little short to me...but they should work).

• Thanks 1

Definitely the starter motor picking up bits from the DMF, not saying the DMF is on the way out, but it's a probability, at the moment I can only afford to do the starter.

• 2 weeks later...

'If the fuel line to the fuel filter has an air leak that also cause simethiing similar as you have to re-prime the filter before it starts. Often this is helped by turning the ignition on for ~ten seconds, off for a short while, back on for ten seconds, off for a short while, and only then trying to start. This can also work if the glow plug doesn't stay on for long enough (and the glow plug on times look a little short to me...but they should work).'

These method seems to enable the car to start. So I'll take a look at the fuel line. Is there a common failure point on the line anywhere?

These method seems to enable the car to start. So I'll take a look at the fuel line. Is there a common failure point on the line anywhere?

Probably any connection that might be disturbed when changing the filter during a service; ie by the filter itself.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Well I've had a new fuel filter and all the lines checked over. Starting problem still the same unfortunately.

Garage reckon one of the injectors has gone. Approximately £300ea but they need more time to fully diagnose. Anyone else had injectors go, blimey the car has only done 74k?

this might be nothing but I had a problem with my 1.6 tdci focus which I researched the buggery out of. my problem was unrelated to your symptoms but interestingly my problem could manifest itself in a number of different ways, one of which is what you seem to be experiencing. 

Crank Sensor.

This little gem can give you issues starting the car, it can give you issues with random hesitation and cut outs. My mind jumped straight to fuel as I had another issue not that long ago with a pressure sensor and it was similar symptoms but I couldn't see any evidence of fuel issues on forscan, I received not DTCs at all.

so if the crank sensor is failing it can report the incorrect crank position which can have a knock on effect with fuelling the cylinder and thus starting the car can be an issue.  In my case I started fine but it would have a major hesitation on the road, apparently this is because the crank sensor fails the car stops fuelling the cylinders and I get a sudden deceleration due to the engine now having to overcome the pressure in the cylinders, most of the time it would start working again without stalling, apparently this is because a diesel doesn't spark so if a cylinder was ready to go the compression stroke would fire it off giving it enough time to sort its self out. once or twice it would stall completely.

anyhow, I changed it on Sunday and touch wood. its been fine since. my crank sensor was about 20 quid, bit fiddly getting it in but pretty straight forward.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club