Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Camera Flashing

liamstears

Hi all

Finally making progress with a reversing camera retrofit/install

Got an aftermarket camera hooked up but got a weird result of the camera flashing: 

Anyone else had this issue? Know of a solution?

Or is it just because its a cheap eBay cam? (I have another cheap eBay cam which is even worse than this one)

Have you checked all your wiring and connections? I doubt it’s the camera, it’s more likely to be your switch/trigger wire or a bad earth. Can you check the continuity from the camera to where you have joined the wires using a mm? 

Did you have to run wires lol the way up to the screen or was their already something in place inside the boot?

Is the image black and white on the screen? Possibly PAL/NTSC mismatch?

Thanks for the replys

Bought a hsd to RCA adapter which I have ran to the glovebox for now, powering using cigarette lighter for both positive and negative just to test before running anything to the boot, everything seems to be wired really well

I am also wondering now if it's an NTSC/PAL issue, not sure if it's showing colour or not it's not very clear but I was testing at night in the dark so can test again tomorrow in the light

Everywhere I read said it should be an NTSC camera which is what I got but being in the UK PAL is normally standard so maybe I need a PAL camera?

So done some more testing and can confirm the camera is in color, had the same issue during the day although I did manage to get it very close to flicker free for a few seconds but it seemed once I moved it again it was all over the place again

Tested the camera output using a multimeter and I am getting just over 1v on the yellow RCA so don't believe the signal is weak and have also tested 1 of the cameras on my TV using an AV receiver and it worked but I know the AV receiver was converting the video and not just sending it straight through as is...

Any ideas?

I fixed it!

Turns out the £20 lead I bought of eBay to connect the rca to the 4 pin fakra was not working correctly

It had connected the RCA + to pin 2 and that was it, after a quick modding and getting the RCA - connected to pin 4 it now works perfectly :-D

• Like 1

I fixed it!

Turns out the £20 lead I bought of eBay to connect the rca to the 4 pin fakra was not working correctly
It had connected the RCA + to pin 2 and that was it, after a quick modding and getting the RCA - connected to pin 4 it now works perfectly :-D

Great, does that mean I was right? Bad earth, these things can be so temperamental

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On 12/30/2017 at 12:39 AM, liamstears said:

I fixed it!

What sort of Fakra plug do you have as im getting the same problem but trying to fit a after market cheap camera to my genuine ford Fakra wiring with no joy.

I also got a Fakra to RCA to convert it as most cameras on eBay run off a RCA and not the Fakra for the picture,mine is for a 2011 titanium.

16 hours ago, Jonro2009 said:

Great, does that mean I was right? Bad earth, these things can be so temperamental

Technically yes lol, just it was bad earthing of the RCA signal cable not a power/earth problem

15 hours ago, jace1969 said:

What sort of Fakra plug do you have as im getting the same problem but trying to fit a after market cheap camera to my genuine ford Fakra wiring with no joy.

I also got a Fakra to RCA to convert it as most cameras on ebay run off a RCA and not the Fakra for the picture,mine is for a 2011 titanium.

Not sure if the 2011 is the same as mine but I know there are 2 types

Some use a standard 2 pin fakra connector which is easy enough as the internal pin is RCA positive and then you have a shield/earth

Newer models use a 4 pin fakra which has 4 internal pins and a shield, now on my car pin 2 is the internal pin on an RCA and pin 4 the shielding of the RCA but I have read in previous posts that it has been mentioned that it's pin 1 and 2 but I can most certainly say it's 2 and 4 for me

Hope this helps

• Like 1

On the camera on my Mondeo I cut the cars internal Fakra off and soldered the wires together, then wrapped the joins with heat shrink.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club