Do Not Sell My Personal Information

interior light wont go off

2010powen

hi all having just bought a 2005 mk2 ford focus I noticed that the interior lights didn't come on when opening the doors. obviously I checked which setting they were on and they were switch off. So I put them on the correct setting but then they don't go of when shutting doors ( something previous owner didn't mention!). All doors, bonnet, and boot are all saying shut. Its really annoying as have to remember to now turn them on and off when getting in the car. Any one any ideas??

When exiting the car, they will stay on for a while. I take it they don't go off when you lock the car?

hi steve  no don't go off at all. tired locking it, double locking it, opening and closing everything. fiddled with internal light cluster dimmer ( I read  somewhere that on a fusion that worked ).

Nothing works. only way I can get them to turn off is manually, which is really annoying as have to turn them on when strapping the kids in car then remember to turn them off.

I did notice yesterday that the buttons on my steering wheel ( cruise control) aren't lit up and nor is my radio control on my steering wheel either. I am pretty sure on the other fords ive had that they do light up when I put my lights on. Don't know if this could be something to do with the interior light?? I am purely guessing now!

Have opened every door and boot and every time it comes upon my dash that its open so it clearly isn't thinking the doors are open.

Did read some where about something that tells in the door that talks to the ecu, but that's all I can remember about it so it aint really much help to myself lol  

I'm sorry I can't help you Paul. Sounds like you need an auto electrician unless someone here can help. Hope I haven't wasted your time. Only other thing I can think are fuses.

Edited by Stevesixty7

11 hours ago, 2010powen said:

hi steve  no don't go off at all. tired locking it, double locking it, opening and closing everything. fiddled with internal light cluster dimmer ( I read  somewhere that on a fusion that worked ).

Nothing works. only way I can get them to turn off is manually, which is really annoying as have to turn them on when strapping the kids in car then remember to turn them off.

I did notice yesterday that the buttons on my steering wheel ( cruise control) aren't lit up and nor is my radio control on my steering wheel either. I am pretty sure on the other fords ive had that they do light up when I put my lights on. Don't know if this could be something to do with the interior light?? I am purely guessing now!

Have opened every door and boot and every time it comes upon my dash that its open so it clearly isn't thinking the doors are open.

Did read some where about something that tells in the door that talks to the ecu, but that's all I can remember about it so it aint really much help to myself lol  

The locks have built-in microswitches that detect whether the doors are open or closed. In case a microswitch fails there will be a "Door Open" warning message on the instrument cluster display. In case a Front door microswitch fails the car can not even be locked.

No warning message on the instrument cluster display when all doors are closed suggest that all microswitches inside the locks are fine. 

How many interior lights does the car have? If the car only has 1 interior light at the front there is a chance that the switch inisde the interior light is broken. If the car has both front and rear interior lights there may be another problem. It is not likely that the switches of both the front and rear interior lights fail at the same time.

As far as I remember the interior lights are controlled by the GEM module/fuse box. From this point of view the problem can also be caused by a defective GEM module/fuse box.

The steering wheel buttons and audio remote buttons of the Focus MK2/MK2.5 are not illuminated.

Pop the unit out all you need is a flathead in by the windscreen end. Make sure to go right in otherwise the plastic pops off and the switch falls out which happened to me and put me in the same situation. You are best to look in clear light as it's hard to see due to the colours but once off unclip the wires and you will see the switch parts in a line with 2 indents the indents are where it's sits in auto. Make sure none of the switch parts are touching the metal on the outer edge of the light or it stays on. If so remove the outer plastic it pops off and slightly bend the copper switch away from the area and replace making sure it follows the line and it should work again.

Thanks guys great bit of info. I have both front and rear interior lights and both wont go off, so I would be surprised if I have 2 defective switches. Will look into the GEM module and see what I find. Thank you

On ‎31‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 11:09 AM, JW1982 said:

The locks have built-in microswitches that detect whether the doors are open or closed. In case a microswitch fails there will be a "Door Open" warning message on the instrument cluster display. In case a Front door microswitch fails the car can not even be locked.

No warning message on the instrument cluster display when all doors are closed suggest that all microswitches inside the locks are fine. 

How many interior lights does the car have? If the car only has 1 interior light at the front there is a chance that the switch inisde the interior light is broken. If the car has both front and rear interior lights there may be another problem. It is not likely that the switches of both the front and rear interior lights fail at the same time.

As far as I remember the interior lights are controlled by the GEM module/fuse box. From this point of view the problem can also be caused by a defective GEM module/fuse box.

The steering wheel buttons and audio remote buttons of the Focus MK2/MK2.5 are not illuminated.

Hi Wilco, I wonder if you could provide me with some in sight. Spoke with previous owner regarding my interior light issue, he say it happened around 4 years ago after having the dash  removed to replaced the heater element. I wonder if you know if there is anything behind there that could of been left disconnected that could of cause it? (I would rather have to not take dash out again lol) 

I had the dash out less than 2 months ago to do the heater matrix, I wouldn't recommend it unless you have 2 full days to spare or fancy paying a garage £500 in labour!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, 1979Damian said:

I had the dash out less than 2 months ago to do the heater matrix, I wouldn't recommend it unless you have 2 full days to spare or fancy paying a garage £500 in labour!

yeah I don't fancy that much! unless theres a lot easier option then I reckon ill just learn to live with it! lol

• Haha 1

• 3 years later...
On 12/31/2017 at 10:23 AM, F0CUE said:

Pop the unit out all you need is a flathead in by the windscreen end. Make sure to go right in otherwise the plastic pops off and the switch falls out which happened to me and put me in the same situation. You are best to look in clear light as it's hard to see due to the colours but once off unclip the wires and you will see the switch parts in a line with 2 indents the indents are where it's sits in auto. Make sure none of the switch parts are touching the metal on the outer edge of the light or it stays on. If so remove the outer plastic it pops off and slightly bend the copper switch away from the area and replace making sure it follows the line and it should work again.

Hi. I am exactly in this situation. My bulb gone out and when i replaced, i tear of the plastic cover with the switch, instead of the whole light unit. Now when i put back the cover and switch, the door open position (middle) doesn't work, it is on all the time... The on and off works, it's ok, but this middle one stopped working correctly. Until i replaced the bulb it was ok, it turned off smoothly and when i closed the car from remote it was also ok, but now doesn't work that too. Can you show me a picture of yours or draw it, because i don't understand those indents and what metal part shouldn't touch. I really appreciate if you could help me out 🙂 Thank you 🙂 

2 hours ago, Csabex said:

Hi. I am exactly in this situation. My bulb gone out and when i replaced, i tear of the plastic cover with the switch, instead of the whole light unit. Now when i put back the cover and switch, the door open position (middle) doesn't work, it is on all the time... The on and off works, it's ok, but this middle one stopped working correctly. Until i replaced the bulb it was ok, it turned off smoothly and when i closed the car from remote it was also ok, but now doesn't work that too. Can you show me a picture of yours or draw it, because i don't understand those indents and what metal part shouldn't touch. I really appreciate if you could help me out 🙂 Thank you 🙂 

Sorry I don't have that car anymore the best bet is to unclip it and take it indoors under a good light that's how I sussed out what was wrong. If I remember the sticky out metal parts should not touch when it central. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club