Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Keyless MK3 FL - How to protect

mastachaz

Hi guys
I'm planing to buy mk3 FL titanium wich only coming with keyless options I saw online they are very easy to be stolen .
I want to ask owners of keyless mk3 , how you protect your cars etc.
do you use any extra protection ?

thank you for all reply.

short of adding a mad max style kill switch there isn't much you can do, just make sure your key is in a known place at all times and it isn't right next to your front door, when out get a shielded wallet for it, you could probably use the same technique they use to stop you locking the doors by using a signal jammer but you will need to turn it off when you want to use the car

Knowing how they do it is the first step in reducing the chances of them doing it but at the end of the day, unless you are OCD about it, if they really want to, they will, unless you add a kill physical kill switch.  

All of those handbrake, wheel locks etc take about 5 seconds to remove and shows them you have something to hind.

What would be a better solution is a mutli stage authentication,  is a second NFC tag inserted in to the key with a contact only range, cloning the wireless ID is fairly easy but unless they get their hands on the key, cloning the RFID tag would be much harder. 

• Thanks 1

A family member has an S4 with keyless entry and whatever else you can think about. They place the key in special shielded places at all times, even at home, to avoid certain mishaps. 

• Thanks 1

totally, its quite imaginative how they can do it, even if the key isn't near the car, just make the key think its near a car and bobs your uncle, she starts to sing, copy that signal and your in the car. But even if you are very careful, all it takes is for someone to be near you when you go to the car and unlock it and they can do the dirty on you. So theres very little that can be done with a system that appears to have been designed by a 5 year old.

I really think the key should have a little dock (which can charge it whilst its at it) but then we are edging back to the world of having an actual key....remind me again, what exactly was wrong with a good old fashioned key?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

55 minutes ago, Dee_82 said:

what exactly was wrong with a good old fashioned key?

heh if you want titanium model you have to get this ... well for me nothing.

keyless entry , just another pointless gadget the modern vehicle can do without.

a physical key has worked pretty well for decades but the marketing boys need to re-invent the wheel to shift the latest model.

anyways , you need to keep your key in a farraday box whilst at home to stop the airwave pirates from intercepting the key code

absolutely, although a fridge works quite well and in actual fact, placing it within anything reasonably dense will prevent what is actually a really low level of radiation escaping the house. the problem is, you need to use that key at some point and unless you tell folk to step away from your car when you try and get in it, they can wave their magic wand at you and rub you of your car.

The idea of keyless entry just strikes me as totally mad, unless you have something physical on you, which you take in to the car that must physically connect to something within the car, your just asking for someone to devise a way to rob you blind, I suppose its just the high tech equivalent of stealing a key but at least you know your key has been nicked, with this system you wont have a Scooby its gone until you wake up one morning and find a dry patch of ground in your driveway in place of the car.

5 hours ago, mastachaz said:

Hi guys
I'm planing to buy mk3 FL titanium wich only coming with keyless options I saw online they are very easy to be stolen .
I want to ask owners of keyless mk3 , how you protect your cars etc.
do you use any extra protection ?

thank you for all reply.

At home I just drop my fob in an old spice tin that has a lid.

No signal escapes the tin, hence, a signal can't be "relayed" live by someone standing close to the house. 

might as well add a neon sign to your car asking to be broken to. these things can be broken very easily.  

5 minutes ago, avi said:

At home I just drop my fob in an old spice tin that has a lid.

No signal escapes the tin, hence, a signal can't be "relayed" live by someone standing close to the house. 

until you go and use the car.  there is no fool proof way to stop this, do the best you can is all you can do

1 hour ago, Dee_82 said:

until you go and use the car.  there is no fool proof way to stop this, do the best you can is all you can do

My primary concern is the method used to "live" relay the fob signal from inside the house to another device at the car. If there's no signal it can't be relayed.

I don't know if it's possible to record a signal or if it needs to be live from the actual fob.  I assume its the latter hence the "relay" term.

relays work by someone being near your car which "sucks up" the Hello world signal it emits, its then transmitted to another person who is in close proximity to the key, the hello world signal is then "relayed" (where the term comes from) by that person fooling the keyfob in to thinking the car is nearby the returned signal is then collected by the person and transmitted back to the person at the car. job done. its pretty much a basic man in the middle attack.

The problem is you can do all that right next to the car when the victim comes back from Tescos, just park up next to the target car, bobs your uncle. the next morning your car is in bits at Felixstowe port

Dead easy to protect and cheap

£4.50 will get you a small 4" petty cash box, cut a groove for the cable. Pop OBD port off its holder, place in petty cash box and lock. Done

I also added a fake OBD port to the original location so it looks like nothing is changed. It has 12v and gnd wired so their device powers up. What they dont know is that connecting the device also powers up a large capacitor that after about 12 seconds discharges through a transformer to put about 500v across all the signal wires. Fried unlocker

I also have a kill switch  fitted, car will not start even if they have the key or complete OBD access, cost some wire and a switch

An OBD disabled sticker on the window is also easy protection

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, madmole said:

I also added a fake OBD port to the original location so it looks like nothing is changed. It has 12v and gnd wired so their device powers up. What they dont know is that connecting the device also powers up a large capacitor that after about 12 seconds discharges through a transformer to put about 500v across all the signal wires. Fried unlocker

Love it mate, strike 1 against the thieving twarts!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, madmole said:

Dead easy to protect and cheap

£4.50 will get you a small 4" petty cash box, cut a groove for the cable. Pop OBD port off its holder, place in petty cash box and lock. Done

I also have a kill switch  fitted, car will not start even if they have the key or complete OBD access, cost some wire and a switch

An OBD disabled sticker on the window is also easy protection

any links  ?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, mastachaz said:

any links  ?

Just search for petty cash tin 4” on eBay. Tons on there

13 minutes ago, madmole said:

Just search for petty cash tin 4” on ebay. Tons on there

what about rest   ?

a kill switch is just about breaking the connection of a major circuit with some sort of physical switch, that switch could be a single toggle switch or a series of switches which need to be selected in a certain order, you could even make it more sophisticated and use a digital combination lock, NFC or bluetooth perhaps. anyone who knows what they are doing could easily bypass it and put it back together but that takes time, they would need to following the wires back to the break in the original circuit then splice them back together.  Its not the kinda thing you could do in the dark or if you where in a hurry hence why its a good idea.  

Ive always liked the idea of having a fake OBD port wired up with a cap to dump 100,000v in to their gear :D

• Thanks 1

A small Faraday bag off eBay £2.50 from China to keep your key in and a second for your spare key move the obd and place a live dummy in its place £15 eBay A disklok £100 is a good visual deterrent. Finally a more expensive option at around £400 is an autowatch ghost immobiliser. DONT keep keys downstairs when you’re in bed not even in the fridge trust me take them upstairs with you. When some twats burgled us they looked in every drawer cupboard everything before we heard them

Make sure you arm your house alarm and upgrade door lock to these bad boys https://www.ultion-lock.co.uk/ watch the video you’ll be amazed they only cost £50 each.

I have all these but if they really want your car they will get it. Just hope all this makes them move on to the neighbors.

www.tomholroydphotography.co.uk

Sent from my iPhone

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club