Do Not Sell My Personal Information

LED Replacement Bulbs

Hamster

All I said was there a three different light levels, then look what happened!!

H

Ill try to outline my position on things so far.

When I said the H15 was monitored by CANbus, I did not mean the bulb was monitored, it is the wiring/circuitry draw for that bulb that is monitored. Regardless of the type of bulb I simply meant the bulb style.

In reply to your comment @Hamster perhaps you are not familiar with the Mondeo lighting set up. In a unit that uses the H15 there is a separate w5w bulb used as the side light/parking light this illuminates when the switch is at sidelights and/or dipped beam. The smaller 12W filament of the H15 is illuminated when the switch is at ‘off’ and only then, it does not have a 2 stage brightness. The larger 55W filament illuminates when the main beam is activated using the stalk or when the stalk is pulled to flash at someone. This is how I assumed the edge setup to be, am I right now in thinking the edge has no w5w bulb? If your LED operates at 3 brightness levels and so did your original Halogen bulb then I consider myself better educated for future reference. To throw a spanner in the works, my w5w bulb does not operate in the way Ford intended. The bulb is always illuminated so that the tail lights are always on much like a Volvo, I have configured them to do this using Forscan.

Just as a little aside, you made quite a point of another member using capitals and exclamation marks in a comment directed towards yourself. You have then gone on to do exactly the same thing to me, which ordinarily wouldn’t phase me at all. However knowing that you consider this style of writing to be ‘shouty’ and didn’t feel it was necessary it’s quite rude you think it’s acceptable to direct your comment to me in that way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The standard halogen headlights of most Ford models are controlled by using a PWM (Pulse Widt Modulation) signal. The PWM signal basically switches the lights on and off continuously at a very high frequency (which is not visible for the human eye). By adjusting the width of the pulses the light output of the lights can have different intensities.
PWM is used on modern Ford models to improve the life expectancy of the halogen light bulbs and to use the same light bulb for 2 (or more) different functions.

Unfortunately the PWM signal can seriously affect the life expectancy of HID bulbs and LED bulbs with integrated voltage regulators..  

This is something I have not heard of, it does explain how Ford can use the H15 for 3 functions wether it is a filament or LED. I’m going to do a bit of reading on the PWM signal and what it can help to achieve, thanks for the information.

Why is there animosity in this thread ? We are all here to share information and learn from each other, to then enjoy the Ford Edge experience. Happy New Year. 😄🥂

• Like 2

Why is there animosity in this thread ? We are all here to share information and learn from each other, to then enjoy the Ford Edge experience. Happy New Year. [emoji1]🥂

Happy New Year to you too

• Like 1

Happy New Year folks! 

I’m going to whimp out and have bought some Philips XTreme vision halogens to upgrade my dipped beam, and then probably will get some halogen H15s. My concern is with the lens shape, as I think this differs according to the planned bulb type... and am not sure that LEDs will be at their best in a lens designed for halogens. I just want to see where I’m going...

@Jonro2009, yes, i can see the Mondeo\Edge comparison could have caused a bit of confusion. I am familiar with the Mondeo,

I've owned all the Mondeo MK's since it was first available in 1993. My only departures were an S-Type (a truly terrible car), a Mk1 Kuga (still banned from that forum :yahoo:) and now an Edge. My last Mondeo was a Vignale with LED adaptive lights. Just before i got rid of it I was lucky enough to attend a small presentation from Valeo Lighting which explained the many speed related beam patterns on adaptive lighting. If you have a few minutes and access, it's worth looking at the explanation in ETIS regarding their operation.

@xn85I tried upgraded, slightly blue tinted, halogen bulbs before my LED's. The lights were better, but not LED white and as i was used to LED white they didn't satisfy. I still have them as spares though.

My next car - Adaptive LED's from new I think :smile:

Yes I now wished I’d specced the LEDs from new- however I foolishly presumed the standard headlights on a £40k + car would allow me to at least see where I was going. 

LED/HID are now on my ‘must have’ list, which seems to be getting longer and longer. I had a Mk5 vignale estate with the adaptive LEDs and they really did spoil me, as did the power tail gate. I was gutted to hand it back after 6 weeks when my own was handed back to me ☹️ I’ve got access to ETIS so I’ll have a little poke about there, thanks.

If you can let us know how your bulbs are going in about a month that would be great, if you have time.

20 hours ago, NeilRS said:

Yes I now wished I’d specced the LEDs from new- however I foolishly presumed the standard headlights on a £40k + car would allow me to at least see where I was going. 

Don’t be silly. That would be too easy. 😜🙄

• Like 1

I’ve had a bit of a revelation with my lights-.my main issue with them was they only light up about 8 foot in front of you. The other light I turned the little inner knob all the way clockwise- and it has extended the throw quite a bit. Still rubbish, but better 

The little button in the middle of the light switch is the manual headlamp adjust for fully laden vehicles. The headlamp aim should be right and set ok with the small button on 0. If its not the headlamp aim is out and needs re-setting with a MOT beam setter. Make sure the button is on 0 when they are set.

The reason for this manual adjustment is if you have a boot full of bricks this would put the rear of the vehicle down and the headlamps could dazzle oncoming traffic. So ,with a fully laden boot you would adjust the beam downwards. The usual position is 0.

• Like 1

I noticed something else over the holidays too. With just the sidelights or DRL on, if you activate the corresponding sides indicator, the sidelight or DRL goes off to give the indicator more prominence. Also, and I've seen this on other cars and didn't realise it was a Ford feature, with the headlamps on, turning the steering wheel, turns on the corresponding Fog Lamp. Then off again when the steering straightens up.

Amazing.

On 28/12/2017 at 8:40 PM, Hamster said:

Well, after many web orders and lots of returns I think I have found three satisfactory solutions for the appalling quality of front lighting on an LED‘less Edge.

Easy one to start with, Front Fogs, carefully pull of the fog lamp cover towards the front of the vehicle, undo two small Torx screws and replace with LED H11 :-
https://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/h11-twenty20-cree-led-12v-canbus-foglight-bulb.html

The headlamps are a bit trickier. Whilst the back of the headlamp is accessible, there is not much finger room so I would advise taking out the whole headlamp and replacing the bulbs on a bench. There are two 10mm bolts to the top of the lamp assembly and a small plastic locating screw. Unclip the single wiring multi-plug. With these removed, gently tilt the headlamp up and back and pull it straight up. Be very careful of the painted bumper cover.

The inner lights serve as Side lamps, DRL’s and Main beams. The bulbs are a bayonet fitting where the plug stays in place and are easily replaced with H15 :-
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/H15-COB-LED-Headlight-Bulbs-Kit-20000-Lumens-Canbus-110W-DRL-Ford-Mercedes-BMW/282660230854?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649 

The outer lamps are the usual single use, double contact, H4 headlamp bulbs. These can be replaced as well with LED’s. The new LED's are held with the original springs but very tricky to get in so you have to unclip the spring completly from the top and wiggle it back in afterwards. 
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/H7-110W-LED-Headlight-Conversion-Kit-Car-Beam-Bulbs-Driving-Lamps-White-Bright/172764830065?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

I am very pleased with the result and this combination of bulbs give a good beam pattern and nice bright white light. If you do not feel confident in removing the lights a Dealer or friendly garage would help.

H

Hi Hamster.

That looks a lot better than the urine stained lights I have on my 2016 edge...

How are you getting on with the upgraded LED lamps?

Any issues ?

How do you find the overall light on the road now ?

DOES switching the high beam on actually make a difference as at the moment on mine the difference is barely noticeable.

Your help on this is appreciated as I can't go on living with these lights😭

The replacement lights are going good, no fires yet. No issues whatsoever. The overall road light is crisp and white, picks out road signs well. There is definitely a difference between main and high beam.

H

Thanks for the reply.

Another quick question.

The led replacements you have look to have fans in the back of them. Have you had to leave the rubber grommets on the back of the lamps off to allow ventilation.?

Mike.

No, leave the headlamp grommets on, there is still room for the airflow and you don't want water ingress into the back of the lamp.

H

• Like 1

A strange thing, or I think it's strange is happening to my lights. My side lights are on all the time which is fine but if I put my indicators on to turn left soon as it flashes the left side light goes off until the indicator is turned off then the side light comes back on . The same thing happens the the right side too. I assume this isn't correct ? 

That’s what it should do mate. It’s not your side lights that are on all the time, it’s your day time running lights. The day time running lights go out if your indicating to make your indicators more obvious. They come back on when you stop indicating. Not sure if that also happens when you have your side lights on, but I presume not,

8 hours ago, mcfcjoe said:

A strange thing, or I think it's strange is happening to my lights. My side lights are on all the time which is fine but if I put my indicators on to turn left soon as it flashes the left side light goes off until the indicator is turned off then the side light comes back on . The same thing happens the the right side too. I assume this isn't correct ? 

Spot on as it should be. Modern technology in action. You should have also noticed your turn lights, where the relevant fog lamp comes on when you turn left or right at low speed, to illuminate the verge as you turn. It’s all quite clever. I recall an even cleverer system in a 2001 Mercedes where if the indicator bulb failed, it would flash the fog lamp on that side as an alternative lamp. 

Didn't i just post about this 7 posts earlier?

H

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hamster said:

H

You did but perhaps folk didn’t read it !😂😂😜

H

I think both fogs should come on when you select reverse, if the dipped beam is active at the time. I didn’t understand why but someone told me it was to give you better vision when the front end swings round.

7 hours ago, Jonro2009 said:

I think both fogs should come on when you select reverse, if the dipped beam is active at the time. I didn’t understand why but someone told me it was to give you better vision when the front end swings round.

That’s new to me.  I’d never heard of that before.  Not noticed it....yet !

That’s new to me.  I’d never heard of that before.  Not noticed it....yet !

One to try out [emoji6] certainly does it on my Mondeo and it does it throughout the skoda range too. I don’t find it to be of any use to be honest, I think it looks daft.