Do Not Sell My Personal Information

LED Replacement Bulbs

Hamster

Hi All

After much giving this subject a lot of thought and reading others comments both on here and on other forums, I have decided to upgrade my Edge to Led headlights.

Don't get me wrong, I have not had any problems with the factory fitted Oem lights.

I have ordered mine from amazon, just waiting for delivery.

Happy motoring

Dave

Dave, you won’t be disappointed.  I was happy enough with the original lights, but having swapped my DRL / Dipped / Main / Fog / Puddle lamps all for LED variants, the car looks a whole lot better and the light emitted is so crisp and white.  Just make sure you seat the bulbs correctly.  It’s a bit fiddly, but if seated correctly there should be no dazzle caused.  I’ve not been flashed once since fitting. 

I agree with Ian on previous post.  One thing I do find is I could do with a bit more long range down the middle .Anyone else notice this ?   Other than that excellent and so much whiter light.

Getting mine done next Tuesday

Ordered the ones recommended by Hamster, but getting a local Electrical Auto garage to fit them.

Not too confident in removing headlights and searching the kitchen floor for springs and clips that keep falling off....

Hopefully i will see a big difference from the current lamps i have.  

On 1/28/2019 at 10:38 AM, eddiek said:

I agree with Ian on previous post.  One thing I do find is I could do with a bit more long range down the middle .Anyone else notice this ?   Other than that excellent and so much whiter light.

I agree Eddie, but I don’t drive a great deal of miles in the dark, so it doesn’t bother me much. The light is certainly better than the old candles. 

Hi All

Have now received all led lights that I ordered. I am going to try take before/after photos of dip/main beam patterns against wall and down the road views, only in as much as have read few posts asking about these pics.
Will try to take before pics this week, and weather permitting change lights at weekend with after pics taken next week. Well that's my plan, unless other things crop up.
Will post again with pics once all done.

Happy motoring

Dave

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk

I have just come back onto the group, following a flat battery issue that has been reported by others on the group - seems the power drain from all the heated bits in the car has been too much for the battery!

Anyhow apologies to @Edge of Reason as I didn't respond to his post from April 2018. The LED DRLs have remained perfectly seated for the last 11 months with no problems whatsoever. I was a little concerned at the time that they didn't seem to click into place quite as I thought they would, but they have not moved. I still have to get used to hearing the LED cooling fans running when I step out of the car, but you can't hear them when you are driving. I have also not been flashed by anybody and the beam pattern seems very effective on unlit roads. 

All in all a good change!!

1 hour ago, David on the Edge said:

I have just come back onto the group, following a flat battery issue that has been reported by others on the group - seems the power drain from all the heated bits in the car has been too much for the battery!

Anyhow apologies to @Edge of Reason as I didn't respond to his post from April 2018. The LED DRLs have remained perfectly seated for the last 11 months with no problems whatsoever. I was a little concerned at the time that they didn't seem to click into place quite as I thought they would, but they have not moved. I still have to get used to hearing the LED cooling fans running when I step out of the car, but you can't hear them when you are driving. I have also not been flashed by anybody and the beam pattern seems very effective on unlit roads. 

All in all a good change!!

Cheers Dave, I have taken the plunge in the absence of your reply and my bulbs are all fitted and seated perfectly with no issues whatsoever.  Strangely I have never heard the cooling fans of my bulbs at any time.  Perhaps I don’t do enough night time driving for them to heat up sufficiently to require cooling, or do the fans work all the time they are in use ?  Maybe I’m just deaf, like my wife suggests ! 😏

Can't say i've heard any fans running on mine and yes they do run permanently as soon as you turn  the lights on.   

The only fan I’ve ever heard is the engine cooling fan on a hot day.

Had mine done this week and very happy with the result..

Decided to check the headlight "alignment" just to make sure i wasn't going to get flashed by oncoming cars

Did the usual of measuring the height of the headlight from the ground, then marked the garage door at that height with 2 strips of masking tape

Moved back 25ft and saw that the left headlight was set low, so adjusted accordingly

Now great bright white light and full beam really gives great visibility..

Hi All

As I said last week, I have now changed my Oem lights to Led lights and I have to agree, they are better.

As I said I have taken before and after photos and am posting them here.

I have put a description of each photo in the actual photo itself, hopefully this can be seen/read.

I will do two posts as there are a few pictures.

This post is of the Oem lights in various locations.

Yes, in the one with no lights, it really was that dark.

Happy motoring

Dave

Dipped-Beam.jpg

Dipped-Beam-Country-Lane.jpg

Dipped-Beam-On-Wall.jpg

Main-Beam.jpg

Main-Beam-Country-Lane.jpg

Main-Beam-On-Wall.jpg

No-Lights-Country-Lane.jpg

Puddle-Light.jpg

Puddle-Light-Ground-Illumination.jpg

• Like 1

Hi All

Here is the second post.

This time pictures taken in same locations as before but with Led lights.

When fitting the Fog lights, mine were slightly loose, did anyone else come across this?

The pictures of lights against a wall in these two posts, the distance leading to the wall is at a slight uphill angle.

I found it easier to remove the whole headlight units to change bulbs, this also gave easy access to fog light bulbs to change.

All I did was make a note of where headlight units and bolts were prior to removal.

Have not had anyone flash me since changing bulbs last Saturday.

All the bulbs cost me approx £45ish and were obtained from amazon.

Ps I forgot before/after pictures of fog lights.

But there are 3 daylight pictures taken during bulb changeover, on one of these is the fog lights, though taken in reasonably bright sunlight, as you can tell by my shadow.

Happy motoring

Dave

Led-Dipped-Beam.jpg

Led-Dipped-Beam-Country-Lane.jpg

Led-Dipped-Beam-On-Wall.jpg

Led-Main-Beam.jpg

Led-Main-Beam-Country-Lane.jpg

Led-Main-Beam-On-Wall.jpg

Led-Puddle-Light.jpg

Led-Puddle-Light-Ground-Illumination.jpg

Change-Led-Dipped-Beam-And-Led-Fog-Lights.jpg

Change-Led-Light-Illumination.jpg

Change-Oem-Light-Illumination.jpg

Seems there is a bit of scatter at the top of the beam on the wall

A14D5CC1-F4BA-4D5F-B4C7-E42BD641BED9.jpeg

Seems there is a bit of scatter at the top of the beam on the wall

A14D5CC1-F4BA-4D5F-B4C7-E42BD641BED9.thumb.jpeg.bd3f4cbf278733f82b8797d9215cf9e3.jpeg
Hi All
The scatter maybe down to being too close to wall (approx car park space length), but could also be down to "side effect" of led lights as has been mentioned elsewhere on here (and the American forums that I looked at).
I still don't think there was anything wrong with the oem lights, but the led lights do give a crisper, more white light and being more white seems to make them appear brighter, which in turn gives a bit more visibility down the road (so to speak).
It took me about 1.5 hours to change all lights, and kept old lights in car as back up in case of any bulb failures.

Happy motoring

Dave

Dave, you won’t be disappointed.  I was happy enough with the original lights, but having swapped my DRL / Dipped / Main / Fog / Puddle lamps all for LED variants, the car looks a whole lot better and the light emitted is so crisp and white.  Just make sure you seat the bulbs correctly.  It’s a bit fiddly, but if seated correctly there should be no dazzle caused.  I’ve not been flashed once since fitting. 
Hi All
Yep, have to admit that I am not disappointed with the results of changing to led.

Happy motoring

Dave

• 3 months later...

Thank you all for your comments in this topic. I have been reading all the information that you provided very carefully and I can say that the job in my 2017 Edge Sport is now successfully finished and done. I will copy/paste below the message I have just posted in a Ford Edge forum in Facebook with my experience:

So, finally I have finish off the upgrade from halogen poor/yellow bulbs into LED crisp white lights. The change in visibility and looks on the car is just surreal and astonishing. I am doing this post for those interested, to let you know the light bulbs that I have purchased. I have been suggested in previous posts to use bulbs that require extension cables, however this is not necessary with the set up I have done in my car described below. I have used the new lights since yesterday and so far no errors or faults reported on the dashboard. So, there we go:

- FOG LIGHTS: They can be accessed from the wheel side or from the front. I think the wheel side option is more difficult but you can do it from the front. The bulbs are LED H11 and I bought these ones for £17: https://www.amazon.co.uk/…/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_U_x_2dO3Cb1KRC… 

- HEADLAMPS: In my 2017 Sport, the left side of the car is a lot more accessible than the driver side, because this side has the anti-coolant tank in front of the opening of the headlamp and it leaves very little finger room to work around. I decided therefore to remove the whole headlamp to replace the bulb after more than one hour fiddling with the space and loosing my patience. There are videos in Youtube explaining how to remove the headlamp and it’s not rocket science really (just a couple of bolts) although for this, I would recommend you do it with somebody else’s help. On your own can be tricky. The inner lights serve as Side lamps, DRL’s and Main beams. The bulbs are H15. I bought these ones: https://ebay.us/9GpjF2 from brand TXVSO8 and costed me £35.

The outer lamps are H7 headlamp bulbs. These are, without a doubt, the most difficult ones to change (to me). The original halogen bulb is pushed into its position with a spring. This spring has to be used also with the LED Bulbs, but the LED bulb has a massive fan in the back, so the tricky game is to unclip the spring completely, insert it in the middle of the LED bulb and then put it back in to ensure it is properly held. This, without taking the whole headlamp out is really difficult, and even more if you have chunky fingers like me… I bought these ones for £12: https://ebay.us/ok3XfA.

POODLE LIGHTS: These are dead easy to replace. The lights are located under the two rear-view mirrors. When you look at them from underneath, you will see that they have a clip on one side and a notch/slot on the other side. Insert a screwdriver on the side of the clip and lever it out. The whole light will come out (bulb and fascia). There are two cables attached to the side of the fascia which can be undone easily by hand, or with the help of small pliers. I bought these ones for £13: https://www.amazon.co.uk/…/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_U_x_TBO3Cb0M21…. These lights come with two little wires that are to be joined with the wires I mentioned before, instead of being connected directly to the fascia as the Ford ones (small difference).

That’s all! It is incredible the difference that a £77 expense in bulbs can do in your car.

I hope with this post to be able to help others that are considering the change to LED. All the best.

On 5/17/2019 at 11:37 AM, El Fendo said:

- FOG LIGHTS: They can be accessed from the wheel side or from the front. I think the wheel side option is more difficult but you can do it from the front. The bulbs are LED H11 and I bought these ones for £17: https://www.amazon.co.uk/…/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_U_x_2dO3Cb1KRC… 

If you intend to change the fog light bulbs when doing the headlamps, it is far easier to remove the complete headlamp units on both sides, which then gives you easy access to the rear of the fog lights, and it’s easier to fiddle with the various clips, with the headlamp units on a rug or other soft surface on the ground. 

I just got to get me some Poodle Lights.

:smile:

59 minutes ago, Hamster said:

I just got to get me some Poodle Lights.

:smile:

Lol.  I was thinking it, but chose not to say anything !

• 2 months later...
On 5/17/2019 at 11:37 AM, El Fendo said:

Thank you all for your comments in this topic. I have been reading all the information that you provided very carefully and I can say that the job in my 2017 Edge Sport is now successfully finished and done. I will copy/paste below the message I have just posted in a Ford Edge forum in Facebook with my experience:

So, finally I have finish off the upgrade from halogen poor/yellow bulbs into LED crisp white lights. The change in visibility and looks on the car is just surreal and astonishing. I am doing this post for those interested, to let you know the light bulbs that I have purchased. I have been suggested in previous posts to use bulbs that require extension cables, however this is not necessary with the set up I have done in my car described below. I have used the new lights since yesterday and so far no errors or faults reported on the dashboard. So, there we go:

- HEADLAMPS: In my 2017 Sport, the left side of the car is a lot more accessible than the driver side, because this side has the anti-coolant tank in front of the opening of the headlamp and it leaves very little finger room to work around. I decided therefore to remove the whole headlamp to replace the bulb after more than one hour fiddling with the space and loosing my patience. There are videos in Youtube explaining how to remove the headlamp and it’s not rocket science really (just a couple of bolts) although for this, I would recommend you do it with somebody else’s help. On your own can be tricky. The inner lights serve as Side lamps, DRL’s and Main beams. The bulbs are H15. I bought these ones: https://ebay.us/9GpjF2 from brand TXVSO8 and costed me £35.

The outer lamps are H7 headlamp bulbs. These are, without a doubt, the most difficult ones to change (to me). The original halogen bulb is pushed into its position with a spring. This spring has to be used also with the LED bulbs, but the LED bulb has a massive fan in the back, so the tricky game is to unclip the spring completely, insert it in the middle of the LED bulb and then put it back in to ensure it is properly held. This, without taking the whole headlamp out is really difficult, and even more if you have chunky fingers like me… I bought these ones for £12: https://ebay.us/ok3XfA.

POODLE LIGHTS: These are dead easy to replace. The lights are located under the two rear-view mirrors. When you look at them from underneath, you will see that they have a clip on one side and a notch/slot on the other side. Insert a screwdriver on the side of the clip and lever it out. The whole light will come out (bulb and fascia). There are two cables attached to the side of the fascia which can be undone easily by hand, or with the help of small pliers. I bought these ones for £13: https://www.amazon.co.uk/…/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_U_x_TBO3Cb0M21…. These lights come with two little wires that are to be joined with the wires I mentioned before, instead of being connected directly to the fascia as the Ford ones (small difference).

That’s all! It is incredible the difference that a £77 expense in bulbs can do in your car.

I hope with this post to be able to help others that are considering the change to LED. All the best.

Hi, I have replaced the bulbs in my wires edge ST Line with LED Bulbs in above links and they are brilliant

• Like 1

Bit pointless. 

• Haha 1

and it will interfere with the airflow to the radiator (doubt a Yaris has an intercooler) :wacko:

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club