Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine Oil Flush

JONATHAN_11_80

I have always changed the oil on my 2010 ford focus 1.8 petrol every 6 months.  I use a vac pump for the 6 months changes and pull the sump plug every 12 months.    I am thinking of putting some forte engine flush in for next oil change.  What are your thoughts on this?  Also what are your thoughts on moving from 5w 30 ford spec oil to 5w 40 as the engine wears? Cheers

Hi Jonathan

My thoughts are stick with 5-30 unless the engine is burning oil.

The oilways are drilled for 5-30

If you look after it as well as you say you do then you may not get any issues.

Re the vac pump. 

I would drain from the sump tbh because your leaving crud behind that sits in the sump.

Jamie

• Like 1

No the engine doesn't burn oil although it has developed a very slight rattley knock when revving freely between 2 - 2.5k rpm that was why I thought about moving to 5w 40.  I am not 100% sure its the engine to be honest.

stick with the 5w-30 oil as thats whats for recomends, and it`s on offer at Halfords at the moment for £15 :rolleyes:, you should always drain it from the sum as it removes 99% of whats left at the bottom of engine that way. as for engine flush, i`ve used STP ENGINE FLUSH £3 or try this om eBay also good stuff and good price    eBay item number:162547638380 (you can drive around with this in your oil for a week so it`s working as you drive about)

7 hours ago, JONATHAN_11_80 said:

No the engine doesn't burn oil although it has developed a very slight rattley knock when revving freely between 2 - 2.5k rpm that was why I thought about moving to 5w 40.  I am not 100% sure its the engine to be honest.

How many miles has it done.

If it aint broke dont fix it.

If it pulls cleanly. and runs fine. Leave it.

And stop using the dip stick tube to remove oil.

Jamie

1 hour ago, andypsp said:

stick with the 5w-30 oil as thats whats for recomends, and it`s on offer at halfords at the moment for £15 :rolleyes:, you should always drain it from the sum as it removes 99% of whats left at the bottom of engine that way. as for engine flush, i`ve used STP ENGINE FLUSH £3 or try this om ebay also good stuff and good price    eBay item number:162547638380 (you can drive around with this in your oil for a week so it`s working as you drive about)

Although you may do that (drive round with an engine flush in the sump) Do not recommend something that may cause severe engine damage to another persons car.

The only flushes i have used state to leave the engine running at fast idle or idle for 10-15 minutes then drain the sump.

The op does not drain the sump, although when hot dirt etc will be suspended in the oil some heavier contaminants will remain at the bottom,

Jamie

2 minutes ago, james_60 said:

Although you may do that (drive round with an engine flush in the sump) Do not recommend something that may cause severe engine damage to another persons car.

The only flushes i have used state to leave the engine running at fast idle or idle for 10-15 minutes then drain the sump.

The op does not drain the sump, although when hot dirt etc will be suspended in the oil some heavier contaminants will remain at the bottom,

Jamie

taken from the comma website...

Directions for use:
1. When the engine is warm, add complete contents of this
pack to the engine oil.
2. Fast idle the engine for at least 10 minutes before draining
the used engine oil.
3. Engine Flush may also be added up to one week prior to
servicing and it will work while you drive.

4 minutes ago, andypsp said:

taken from the comma website...

Directions for use:
1. When the engine is warm, add complete contents of this
pack to the engine oil.
2. Fast idle the engine for at least 10 minutes before draining
the used engine oil.
3. Engine Flush may also be added up to one week prior to
servicing and it will work while you drive.

I stand by what i have said. 

1. he does not drain from the sump.

2. we do not know the cars history

3 Flushing an old engine is not advised.

4 Flushing is a big debate because if the oil is regularly changed there should be no contamination anyway.

Jamie

just to clarify, the advice appears to recommend one can add the engine flush to oil prior to the service, there doesnt appear to be any suggestion under what I have read, anyone is suggesting outright draining the engine, and running it without any oil at all for a period of time. 

I think we all know thats a little crazy. 

• Like 2

I used Forte engine flush in my Duratec on my last oil change, I added it to the engine and run it on idle for 18 mins ( it said between 15 and 20 minutes) dropped the oil and it was a very runny black consistency, so on that assumption it possibly removed quite a bit of carbon when it was idling.

• Like 2

I've only ever used engine flush once when I 1st got the car. 2.0 mk2.5 added it. Fast idle for 20 min then drained via sump plug, the normal correct method!!.. Refilled with cheap car lube oil ran it for a wk then drained again n changed filter for 2nd time n refilled with magnatec. I agree regular oil changes should negate any build up of deposits you may get. 

I agree though with ppl saying unknown engine history etc.. Flushing is a personal choice some ppl I know swear by it. Others say avoid like the plague.. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dave1981 said:

I've only ever used engine flush once when I 1st got the car. 2.0 mk2.5 added it. Fast idle for 20 min then drained via sump plug, the normal correct method!!.. Refilled with cheap car lube oil ran it for a wk then drained again n changed filter for 2nd time n refilled with magnatec. I agree regular oil changes should negate any build up of deposits you may get. 

I agree though with ppl saying unknown engine history etc.. Flushing is a personal choice some ppl I know swear by it. Others say avoid like the plague.. 

Iam the people hehehehe :p 

Jamie

• Haha 1

I have only used flushing oil a couple of times many years ago when blown head gaskets meant coolant water got in the oil. The flushing oil was to clean out all the emulsified oil/water gunge.

I probably would not use it other than for that type of incident. 

Some people will say that it loosens up stuff that can then end up blocking oil ways (eg. to a turbo).

I am not claiming to be right.  People have different opinions on the wisdom of using flushing oil. This is just the way I would look at it if it was my car.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply's I remove the sump plug and drain the oil annually and do a 6 months oil change using my vac pump every 6 months sometimes sooner.  My vac pump generally gets most of the oil out of the sump.  I got 4.2 litres out of the sump 2 weeks ago that's excluding the oil in the the filter.  The car has full service history.  If I put a flush through I would only use forte and would only let the engine idle for 20 minutes as driving it would potentially cause engine damage.  Will stick with 5w 30.

On 29/12/2017 at 9:05 PM, james_60 said:

I stand by what i have said. 

1. he does not drain from the sump.

2. we do not know the cars history

3 Flushing an old engine is not advised.

4 Flushing is a big debate because if the oil is regularly changed there should be no contamination anyway.

Jamie

No disrespect but if you read my post correctly I said the following:   I use a vac pump for the 6 months changes and pull the sump plug every 12 months.  Therefore I do drain from the sump but only every 12 months which for me is 11,000 miles.  The car has full service history and has 71,000 miles on the clock.  It pulls smoothly and strongly and has plenty of power. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club