Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cost of Repairs for Insurance Purposes

mutantcamel

Hi I'm currently looking for car insurance after driving a company car for 9 years (Ford Fiesta)

I've had a few incidents which I apparently need to declare when buying insurance.

The problem all I did was report the incidents to my work and they went through their insurance to get the repairs done. Work weren't very helpful and were not able to give me any cost information.

Price comparison sites ask for a rough price of the cost of the repair and I'm not sure what I should put down for the following:

All for a black 2014 Ford Fiesta Eco:

Replacement of rear bumper reflector

Replacement of Wing Door Mirror Cover and reflector

Respray of front bumper damage - roughly  2 x 3" scuff's.

Any ideas of how much to put down for each repair would be appreciated.

I don't want to lie and invalidate my insurance!!!

Thanks

Phil

would they have even gone through the insurance for these repairs quite a few companies "self-insure" for any incidents under a set figure and then go to insurance for the bigger stuff.

4 hours ago, mutantcamel said:

Hi I'm currently looking for car insurance after driving a company car for 9 years (Ford Fiesta)

I've had a few incidents which I apparently need to declare when buying insurance.

The problem all I did was report the incidents to my work and they went through their insurance to get the repairs done. Work weren't very helpful and were not able to give me any cost information.

Price comparison sites ask for a rough price of the cost of the repair and I'm not sure what I should put down for the following:

All for a black 2014 Ford Fiesta Eco:

Replacement of rear bumper reflector

Replacement of Wing Door Mirror Cover and reflector

Respray of front bumper damage - roughly  2 x 3" scuff's.

Any ideas of how much to put down for each repair would be appreciated.

I don't want to lie and invalidate my insurance!!!

Thanks

Phil

If you don't know and your company can't supply the information then your not lying if you answer unknown or don't know.

"would they have even gone through the insurance for these repairs quite a few companies "self-insure" for any incidents under a set figure and then go to insurance for the bigger stuff."

not strictly relevant. The question requires the cost irrespective of who paid for it. And if the company that employed him paid themselves without going through insurance they should be in a better position to know what they paid for the repair.

I don't know for sure, but I assume that the quotation for insurance gets higher when people answer don't know as the insurance company will assume the worst (cost) or think that the person asking for the quote is being evasive, like it might be £10k but that sounds bad so let's say don't know.

But it is a tricky situation and I can see that this problem must be common for people going from company cars to having own car. So I think that asking the question here for what a realistic cost of these repairs would have been is reasonable and if he keeps the evidence of these enquiries to show to the insurance company if they should ever raise an issue over these incidents then it would show that he acted as reasonably as he could in answering the questions. 

I thought it was only relevant if a claim was made. if the damages were never claimed for does it need declaring on the claims within last xx years section?

I've only ever been asked if I was involved in any accidents in the past 5 years.

32 minutes ago, Bobr said:

I've only ever been asked if I was involved in any accidents in the past 5 years.

Usually if you click yes it will take you to another section where it then requires you to give the details.

The company’s insurance should be able to answer this you’ll need to contact them anyway to get your ncb confirmation

www.tomholroydphotography.co.uk

Sent from my iPhone

15 minutes ago, Philf1 said:

The company’s insurance should be able to answer this you’ll need to contact them anyway to get your ncb confirmation

Sent from my iPhone

You don't get any NCB on a company vehicle.

It's incidents that should be reported - claim made or not.  Technically this can even include scraping your car against a bollard in Sainsbury's which is something I have absolutely never ever honestly done :unsure:

If you have an insurer or two coming out comparably cheaper, I would call them direct.  Many insurers don't really care about the cost of the claim/repair/whatever.  They just want to know there was a claim for underwriting (aka extortion) purposes.  Hastings, which is who I am insured with, didn't seem to care about the cost of a previous incident I had.

You don't get any NCB on a company vehicle.

Wrong. Some insurers will give you ncb on production of proof. I know because I got 2 years when I came out of my last company car

Sent from my iPhone

Insurance questions are worded so if you answer them truthfully you will have to list all incidents of damage whether or not an insurance claim is made. However we all know that a lot of incidents are not declared when no insurance claim is made, because people know the chances of them getting caught for non-disclosure of that incident is very slim as there is not an official record of that incident in anyone's computer (or paper) file.  eg. you scrape your car on a car park pillar and don't repair the damage or have it repaired at your own expense without involving insurance.