Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Which fuse #'s for dashcam

rocket_111

Hi, would anyone know which footwell fuses to use (permanent live & ignition live) to hard wiring a dashcam? The missus fiesta is a 2017my

Regards

This is a photo of where the dealership attached my dash cam to my 2016 TitaniunX

E442540A-F917-4586-A2CC-C64C0B705392.jpeg

• Like 1

With my mk6.5 fiesta dash cam I got it wired into a fuse which gets constant voltage. I wanted it getting power all the time so when it's parked away from home it can get footage if anyone clips the car. Just need to fit a switch in as I disconnect the plug when it's parked in the driveway. 

• Like 2

With my mk6.5 fiesta dash cam I got it wired into a fuse which gets constant voltage. I wanted it getting power all the time so when it's parked away from home it can get footage if anyone clips the car. Just need to fit a switch in as I disconnect the plug when it's parked in the driveway. 

How long do you leave it running for? It’s a risk that you would either forget to turn it on one day or leave it running for a long enough period for it to slowly drain your battery, say for instance you parked on the street and intended to go out in a couple of hours to move it onto the drive but didn’t because your arm dropped off so you couldn’t drive for 2 weeks while you waited for it to be sewn back on lol. It would make more sense to connect it up to a permanent live and use a ‘magic power’ box.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Jonro2009 said:

How long do you leave it running for? It’s a risk that you would either forget to turn it on one day or leave it running for a long enough period for it to slowly drain your battery, say for instance you parked on the street and intended to go out in a couple of hours to move it onto the drive but didn’t because your arm dropped off so you couldn’t drive for 2 weeks while you waited for it to be sewn back on lol. It would make more sense to connect it up to a permanent live and use a ‘magic power’ box.

Yeah I need to put something in so it's not on all the time. At home I unplug it as its on the driveway but keep it on when I go out anywhere. On my previous car I wired it into a fuse which gets power when the ignition is on but didn't want to do that way now since I saw videos of people catching people clipping their car whilst it's parked. 

If you go to Halfords they will supply and fit for under £25

• Like 2

From experience,  13 IGNITION  controlled,   21 for PERMANENT feed.

I doubt whether the dash cam would draw that much current to drain a battery that quick that it would fail to start  within a couple of weeks.

It only take milliamps to work .

E173109_EUR.JPG

• Like 1

Just an extra bit of advice if considering running a dashcam all the time, the constants writes will trash an SD card a lot quicker, so be sure to keep checking it's working and replace the card at least once a year. The lifespan will vary depending on the size and quality of the card and also the resolution and quality of the video (i.e. how much data is being written per second).

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

Just an extra bit of advice if considering running a dashcam all the time, the constants writes will trash an SD card a lot quicker, so be sure to keep checking it's working and replace the card at least once a year. The lifespan will vary depending on the size and quality of the card and also the resolution and quality of the video (i.e. how much data is being written per second).

The SD card went wrong for me and this was back on my previous car when it was wired in to a fuse which gets power from the ignition. Best to have a spare card when it goes. 

12 minutes ago, zain611 said:

The SD card went wrong for me and this was back on my previous car when it was wired in to a fuse which gets power from the ignition. Best to have a spare card when it goes. 

It will still die on an ignition switched feed, it's just many people are surprised when an SD card doesn't last as long when running 24/7 as they think of it ageing time based, not write based.

• Like 2

I also forgot to say but make sure you don't place the dash cam where it could get obstructed like with mine the wipers don't wipe passed the view of the camera so when it rains water drops would just get in the way. 

DSC_0079.JPG

• Like 1

I also forgot to say but make sure you don't place the dash cam where it could get obstructed like with mine the wipers don't wipe passed the view of the camera so when it rains water drops would just get in the way. 
DSC_0079.thumb.JPG.3de105c4f952fc18874fcc3bea8bbd99.JPG

Well that was stupid wasn’t it 🤪

23 minutes ago, Jonro2009 said:

Well that was stupid wasn’t it 🤪

Lol I realised on a rainy day. Didn't come in my mind when fitting it in. 

Lol I realised on a rainy day. Didn't come in my mind when fitting it in. 

Tbh it probably wouldn’t cross my mind either

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club