Do Not Sell My Personal Information

EGR blanking

zain611

Hey everyone, 

So I've begun opening up the engine and when talking off the manifold it was caked in carbon. I'd say about a quarter of the diameter of the openings were covered in carbon restricting air flow. Because of this I'm thinking of getting the Egr blanked off. I'm just wondering but will the engine light come on if it gets blanked off? My dad is thinking of removing a pin in the Egr electrical unit so the Ecu operates it but doesn't open the flap. Will clean out the manifold whilst it's out. 

Will post pictures of what I'm doing soon:wink:

Managed to take a picture of the intake manifold. You can see how much soot has built up in the openings. The Egr was taken out and that was dirty inside. 

DSC_0099.JPG

DSC_0100.JPG

Blanked off mine as soon as I got the car no engine lights or problems in the four years I owned my 2010 Zetec s 1.6

• Like 1

Thanks HLENNIE hopefully I don't get any problems then. Definitely want to block it since I saw all that rubbish thats built up in there 

The tide has turned quickly on that mod, with NOx emissions being linked to premature death and Alzheimer's, so its considered a bit antisocial in 2018 to go blanking.  Clean it all up, use good oil, and be very careful not to overfill.  If the EGR fails replace it anew.

• Like 2

You may have to be wary about failing the MOT emissions test.

Not sure how cleanly the 1.6 diesel will run with the EGR blanked.

• Like 1

Thank you, not sure now whever to blank it or not. With MOT don't they check for smoke on diesel cars? Will definitely clean both the EGR and intake manifold to open it up a bit. Been doing some work on the engine and hopefully will show what's been done after its been done. 

my god do people actually read what others put on here before coming out and scare mongering about some thing they have not done them selves. zain611 

I repeat no problems with the engine  IT past 5 mots in fact the emissions tests on my ZS I was told where really good results and well in tolerance but hey up to you just letting you know my findings with it fitted. u might want to get a racing chip box fitted to the injector controller made all the difference to mine extra speed and torque and still getting 53 mpg @ 80mph 3000rpm

• Like 1

Lol honestly I have a blanking plate so might give it a go. I have work planned on the injectors and getting them reconditioned as I suspect one of them may be leaking. I'm sure they'll be running as good as new and hopefully they'll be more fuel efficient. That's not bad mpg your getting, I'm getting around 47.5mpg on 30mph roads however don't know if that's accurate. 

Nice Zain! I was planning to do the same thing on my car. I did notice a lot and I mean a lot of deposits in the intake manifold. Also planning to change the 8 gaskets.

You might see an improvement in the lower rev range and better mpg. Let us know please ! 

Good luck !

T

2 hours ago, TDR|XTC said:

Nice Zain! I was planning to do the same thing on my car. I did notice a lot and I mean a lot of deposits in the intake manifold. Also planning to change the 8 gaskets.

You might see an improvement in the lower rev range and better mpg. Let us know please ! 

Good luck !

T

Hey TRD good to see you. I'd definitely recommend you to clean out your manifold. Don't know if it's hard to see in my picture but the soot has covered about a quarter of the diameter of the openings. I think it had leaked from the middle. Yeah I've ordered gaskets for the manifold and as the injectors are out I ordered new seals for the injectors. I'll be updating my project in the projects bit of the forum. 

Good luck with the in-house service. Post some pics and let us know your impressions after the EGR blanking and intake manifold cleaning. How do you plan to clean it by the way ?

Cheers

TDR

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, TDR|XTC said:

Good luck with the in-house service. Post some pics and let us know your impressions after the EGR blanking and intake manifold cleaning. How do you plan to clean it by the way ?

Cheers

TDR

Cleaning will either be with brake cleaner or from what I've seen on YouTube is oven cleaner. Definitely will post pictures but after the work has been done. 

• Like 1

Okay so cleaned the Egr and manifold. There was so much dirt in the manifold. Also put in some smoked LED side repeaters. 

DSC_0112.JPG

DSC_0115.JPG

DSC_0106.JPG

DSC_0111.JPG

Blanking plate fitted and also bought another gasket from Ford so there would be 2 gaskets to sandwich the plate and stop air from escaping from both ends. Tomorrow hopefully will fit it in. The manifold was sprayed with oven cleaner and pressure washed after leaving it for 10 minutes. Looks a lot cleaner now. In the morning will show a picture. 

DSC_0134.JPG

Before and after pictures of manifold. A screwdriver was used to scrape off some of the gunk then oven cleaner was sprayed inside and left for 10 minutes. A pressure washer was then used to clean it out. 

IMG-20180106-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20180106-WA0006.jpg

IMG-20180106-WA0007.jpg

DSC_0141.JPG

DSC_0142.JPG

DSC_0143.JPG

DSC_0144.JPG

I took my egr valve and connecting pipe off once on the Fiesta to inspect and with a view to fit a blanking plate which I got from eBay. The egr valve looked stuck in position to me and caked in crap. I sprayed some cleaner on it then rinsed it off after some time then put everything back together again. I also moved the fuel filter out of the way to get to the egr valve but did not disconnect any fuel pipes.Then the car would just crank but not start. I took the blanking plate out and tried to start the car again but with no luck. I thought it might be because I disturbed the fuel filter. It was in the garage for days. Eventually the garage started it by towing it and bump starting it. Let us know how you get on and I might give it another go. Your manifold looks a lot better. Nice job.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, matt786 said:

I took my egr valve and connecting pipe off once on the Fiesta to inspect and with a view to fit a blanking plate which I got from ebay. The egr valve looked stuck in position to me and caked in crap. I sprayed some cleaner on it then rinsed it off after some time then put everything back together again. I also moved the fuel filter out of the way to get to the egr valve but did not disconnect any fuel pipes.Then the car would just crank but not start. I took the blanking plate out and tried to start the car again but with no luck. I thought it might be because I disturbed the fuel filter. It was in the garage for days. Eventually the garage started it by towing it and bump starting it. Let us know how you get on and I might give it another go. Your manifold looks a lot better. Nice job.

Hey matt, when I opened up the Egr I used brake cleaner inside it and remove the electrical motor from the body and cleaned the inside from where the motor would move that thing to operate it. After cleaning it it would move at really light force. During this time I removed the injectors and got them all reconditioned as one was leaking. When you remove the injectors it will be a pain to start the engine as air has gone in the cylinders. I do find that strange for you including the fact you didn't disconnect the fuel filter. I can't really say anything as like I said I removed the injectors. 👍

DSC_0112.JPG

DSC_0147.JPG

I did not need to do the injectors on my car Zain and sorry I did not make that clear. I just wanted to blank the egr valve and had to swivel the fuel filter out of the way to get access. I was just stating issues I had after blanking the egr which you have done also. I also did not disassemble the egr valve like you did as I was unsure. I only sprayed cleaner into the opening which I I guess did naff all. Say,is it easy to take the manifold off and I hope I don't have to mess about with egr valve,not yet anyway.

9 hours ago, matt786 said:

I did not need to do the injectors on my car Zain and sorry I did not make that clear. I just wanted to blank the egr valve and had to swivel the fuel filter out of the way to get access. I was just stating issues I had after blanking the egr which you have done also. I also did not disassemble the egr valve like you did as I was unsure. I only sprayed cleaner into the opening which I I guess did naff all. Say,is it easy to take the manifold off and I hope I don't have to mess about with egr valve,not yet anyway.

With the manifold my dad took off the metal pipes which go to the injectors as they go over the top of the manifold. It's best to remove those pipes so it makes it easier to take off. You don't want to accidentally bend those pipes. If you ever do clean it I found it good to use oven cleaner. Leave it for about 10 minutes then use a water hose or pressure washer to clean it out. 

What I was trying to say previously was that the car was a pain to start but that was because the injectors were removed. It's difficult starting a car after removing and installing the injectors. The car is able to start now but just takes a little longer than normal to start but that's most likely because there's still air pockets in the fuel system. 

DSC_0095.JPG

DSC_0097.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

So just wanted to update I've done about 130 miles after doing the injectors and blanking the Egr. I reset the average mpg and now I'm getting around 53-54 mpg. This is surprisingly a bit more compared to when the work was done. Before it'll stay around 47.5mpg. Also don't have to worry about booting it. Really is fun putting your foot down. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club