Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus 1.6 Petrol Engine Malfunction

mattb182

Hi this is my first post, after reading many posts regarding the issue I'm currently having with my 09 Focus Zetec Petrol.  It seems to be that it's only happening to Diesel Engines. 

I know nothing about cars so I don't know if its the same. But a couple of weeks ago I filled my car up and after about 200 yards from leaving the petrol station, the Engine Malfunction came up with Acceleration Reduction aswell. This was the first time that this has happened as I've had the car for 4 years. Like all other people have put, as soon as you turn the engine off and remove the key, it seems to reset it self.  I've only encountered a fault where the car won't start once not long after this fault occurred. 

I've took the car to my a garage who does any work needed to it and they plugged it into the diagnostic machine and they said nothing really came up only something to do with the Immobiliser. But I was wondering with this fault happening not long from when I filled up could this possibly be something to do with my fuel filter as I've not had this cleaned or changed since owning the car or could it be something to do with the immobiliser.

If this has happened to anyone else and could point me in the right directions on how this thing can be sorted, would be very much appreciated, as it's starting to annoy me now as it now keeps occurring.

If you bought it from a dealership you have the right to reject it 30 days after purchase. No ifs or buts, it's up to them to prove you have caused the fault. Not the other way around. Or you can get it repaired within 6 months.

Thanks for your response. The car hasn't had any work done to it in the last 6 months and I've had the car for over 4 years now.

23 hours ago, mattb182 said:

I filled my car up and after about 200 yards from leaving the petrol station, the Engine Malfunction came up with Acceleration Reduction

The immobiliser is totally disabled and ignored once the car has started. It can never stop a running car. So I suspect that is a red herring, maybe a side effect of the diagnostic process.

You need to be able to read the error code (DTCs) as soon as the problem happens. Some codes go away very quickly, while others last a long time. Forscan is ideal, as it reads almost all known Ford codes. Generic OBD scanners pick up most engine codes, but not all.

It could well be fuel related, fuel filter is always worth changing. Or even water in the fuel tank might be a cause of intermittent power loss.

22 hours ago, mattb182 said:

Thanks for your response. The car hasn't had any work done to it in the last 6 months and I've had the car for over 4 years now.

I somehow managed to miss that part when you first created the post lol.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

I'm having this exact issue,  whether it be 20mph or 70 mph,  engine malfunction,  all the bells and whistles then reduce acceleration pops up and lose all power. Took it in to dealer today,  I phoned them up to ask what they have found, nothing yet as they took it for a drive only! A drive! Does the mechanic not realise he loses all power risking driving,  waiting on them now as I have asked why they didn't just plug it in!!!  I will update. 

Update from my post above,  the garage have phoned me to say, that they didn't see no fault codes when checking and that they did see the temp gauge being erratic, (that's a first for me considering its cut out several time for me and only once for them) anyhow they believe it to be a temperature sensor, causing this issue and have replaced this, they say they have test drove it again with no issues.  Hopefully this is the issue and it stops,  I will soon find out as I'm on nights soon so 100 miles it is there and back will give me a good indication.  

P.s I do not believe a proper ecu test has been done so may consider paying for one my self to close this out. Again will update 

Lots of things cause the "Malfunction" message to appear, including CANBUS faults (shorts/disconnects) as I inadvertently caused when playing with an Arduino and can transceivers.

Do you notice anything else happen when these messages show up, i.e. mileage disappearing from the cluster, dials acting erratically, etc? Have you had any passengers that may have kicked the passenger junction box (mine isn't covered with carpet, only has a rubber thing underneath) - there are connectors both top and bottom make sure they're all seated correctly and locked down.

Might be worth getting an ELM327 and Forscan, and getting live data and watching various data to see if it's all acting correctly (think accelerator pedal input, engine MAP, engine temp etc).

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi,  dials were not acting to bad,  it would do a full sweep and would lose the milage that accumulated on your adjustable milage clock. It's is still with ford who are scratching thier heads,  and have decide to replace some computer (can't remember the specific name), this has been with the garage now coming four weeks!!  All I would advise is that warranty is very very Worth having. 

On 3/28/2018 at 3:57 PM, Shaunboro said:

Hi,  dials were not acting to bad,  it would do a full sweep and would lose the milage that accumulated on your adjustable milage clock. It's is still with ford who are scratching thier heads,  and have decide to replace some computer (can't remember the specific name), this has been with the garage now coming four weeks!!  All I would advise is that warranty is very very Worth having. 

If it's losing the mileage maybe the IC is losing power for some reason (broken/damaged wire, broken solder joint). That may cause the ECU to throw a malfunction message (in this case, the can messages may very well identify what is losing power).

Not sure! i'm hoping to get it back Monday, they have replaced the ECU, hopefully this fix works. 

• 3 years later...

Hie Shaunboro, am currently facing the same problem you had. Please advise if your issue was sorted after replacement of ecu. 

• 1 year later...

Thought this might be of use. I have the same issue. These guys seem to have solved it😎

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club