Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What fuel do you use ?

surfamakikomi

Each to their own I suppose Dal, but i've never had a single issue with supermarket fuels, whether it be petrol or diesel and I have been driving for over 30 years.

37yrs no issues.
  • Like 2

in respect of diesel, I only buy from Shell or BP usually. Petrol on the other hand i buy anything. I've looked after a few  petrol cars now for around 10 years and not one of them has had any fuel related issues. 

• Like 1

For my mk6 fiesta 1.6 TDCI I use regular fuel and every 2 top ups I use premium. 

Last 3 cars over 15 years, all on Shell super stuff. Very clean heads on stripdown, no Cat or EGR issues. Above average MPG on all

Wifes Car, Supermarket for 18 years. Filthy head. Fortunately it has no EGR or cat. Lambda destroyed by Tesco Junk fuel that time they killed thousands of cars and denied it

The base stock may meet requirements, but the supermarkets don't add the detergents, catalysts, cetane enhancers etc that benefit modern engines

My Landrover which is designed to run anything you find (ex WW2 African diesel, biodeisel etc) coughs and splutters when fed the once in desperation by the local Tesco

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I always use Shell V power & only this .other alternate would be bp ultimate.

Car is mk2.5 focus Titanium S petrol.

Even on my fiesta mk7 titanium 1.4 tdci i use Shell V power derv.

Yunii

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

I am positively amazed folk are happy to pay for premium fuel just to pootle around in bog standard petrol cars when the natuonal average of just regular unleaded has hit an eyewatering 1.20 a litre.

I can only summize that those who only use Shell v power or similar fuels dont do more than 50 miles a week - i doubt they could justify the extra expense if they were doing a 200 mile or more  weekly commute because it keeps their cylinder head cleaner or some other similar irrelevent benefit......

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, biff55 said:

I am positively amazed folk are happy to pay for premium fuel just to pootle around in bog standard petrol cars when the natuonal average of just regular unleaded has hit an eyewatering 1.20 a litre.

I can only summize that those who only use shell v power or similar fuels dont do more than 50 miles a week - i doubt they could justify the extra expense if they were doing a 200 mile or more  weekly commute because it keeps their cylinder head cleaner or some other similar irrelevent benefit......

Amen.

Quite the opposite. The extra MPG I get from my chipped diesel using ultimate more than offsets the cost, and my engine wont need an EGR replaced or a new cat or DPF as often. Question is can you afford NOT to pay for Ultimate

So a normal fill up from yellow light on mine is 40 litres, even at 20p difference, that is £8 more a fill for Ultimate. So £8 is 7 litres roughly, or a tadge over a gallon or 60 miles give or take a bit at normal cruise mpg

Running Ultimate gets me about 70-100 miles extra range per tank, so you can see the ultimate fuel is actually cheaper and better for the car, and thats around town. On long cruises, I have had over 700 miles a tank at 70mpg (constant 70 up to Scotland on Mway and back from London), so the saving are even more

OK, if I'm hammering around London traffic or heavy footed it probably swings the over way, but for the longer Mway cruises that I normally do it pays for itself

38 minutes ago, madmole said:

Quite the opposite. The extra MPG I get from my chipped diesel using ultimate more than offsets the cost, and my engine wont need an EGR replaced or a new cat or DPF as often. Question is can you afford NOT to pay for Ultimate

So a normal fill up from yellow light on mine is 40 litres, even at 20p difference, that is £8 more a fill for Ultimate. So £8 is 7 litres roughly, or a tadge over a gallon or 60 miles give or take a bit at normal cruise mpg

Running Ultimate gets me about 70-100 miles extra range per tank, so you can see the ultimate fuel is actually cheaper and better for the car, and thats around town. On long cruises, I have had over 700 miles a tank at 70mpg (constant 70 up to Scotland on Mway and back from London), so the saving are even more

OK, if I'm hammering around London traffic or heavy footed it probably swings the over way, but for the longer Mway cruises that I normally do it pays for itself

Fair enough, you probably have good reason to use premium fuels since you run a diesel and have seen noticeable results.

I believe Pete and I were mainly talking about petrol vehicles.

I have done my daily commute with regular and premium petrols and not noticed a difference in MPG. I have repeated the test around 10 times now and still not noticed a considerable difference (average of 0.2 MPG greater with the premium fuel). Therefore, for me, it is not economically viable to be using premium fuels especially since I do on average 350-400 miles per week.

Thing is it probably takes 10 tanks full of Ultimate to clean out the gunk from the lower grades before you see the benefit. My car has only had around 10 fills with non Ultimate in its 35000 miles and the downgrade is quite noticeable even when driving. But my chip was initialised on ultimate fuel

Try a bottle of Archoil 6400-P in your car. Good stuff that will clean out a lot of the old crud and give you an idea of what a difference additives can make.

Those premium fuels must have these cleaning properties over standard fuels otherwise they would be slapped by the ASA given they advertise the fact

So MPG benefit may be negligible or argued. but they must do something. Honest John must drink the stuff he recommends it that much (Shell V Power)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club