Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus keys 3 button - Flip Key

Arthur_

Hello,

I have a 2008 Focus Zetec.

I was in a scrapyard today looking for a few bits and noticed one of the mk2 focus's had a flip key! They threw the key in with what id bought! and i was wondering if its possible to make it work with my car if i had a new blade cut and got it programmed!?

Is this possible? i have 3 keys for my focus but id love to have a genuine flip key instead.

Thanks

Arthur

IMG_2501.jpeg

1 hour ago, Arthur_ said:

i was wondering if its possible to make it work with my car if i had a new blade cut and got it programmed!?

Is this possible? i have 3 keys for my focus but id love to have a genuine flip key instead.

The most critical part of a Ford key is the PATs capsule. This disarms the immobiliser. It is not connected to the remote control (battery & buttons etc), but is a separate little glass or plastic slug hidden inside the key. If you can locate it in both an existing key, and the new one, then swap it over, it will make use of the flip key much easier. Re-programming the PATs part is not easy, it needs a computer connected to the car, or some locksmiths claim to be able to clone an existing PATs capsule. Though cloning is not standard, and may have some some drawbacks.

Re-programming the remote control (locks) is easy. Shop around to see who can cut you a new blade.

Thank you, is re-programing the key something i can do or do i need to get someone in to do this? 

2 hours ago, Arthur_ said:

is re-programing the key something i can do

Re-programming the remote control (door locks) is in the owners manual. Roughly it is:

Turn Ignition on-off (positions 2 & 0) four times in six sec (at a steady rate, not too fast). You should get a bong. Press button on fob within 10 sec., get anther bong.  (And repeat the last step for any other remote controls, as only keys now programmed will work as remote controls.)

The book says fasten front seat belts & close all doors to avoid conflicting bongs. Not sure why, but that's what it says.

Cycle ignition on-off to exit programming mode, and hopefully job done!

Re-programming the PATs (immobiliser) is very much more difficult. As I said above, best way is to locate and swap the little PATs capsules. A Ford dealer will charge about £100 to re-programme PATs, I expect.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club