Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus wont start lots of error codes (inc)

benji1666

Hi All,

New here so Hiiii

My car wont start at all im getting all these error codes

TCM none

PCM P1622-61   Immobilizer ID Does Not Match

PCM U0405-21  Cruise Signal

FACM B1318-60  Battery Voltage Low

ABS Error

EPS B1318-60 Battery Voltage Low

EPS U1900-20 Missing Message for Engine Speed

EPS U261B-60 Improper Program Termination

IC U1900-20 communication bus fault

IC B1602-20 PATS Received Invalid Format of Key Code from Ignition Transponder

IC B2103-60 No Signal detected at PATS module from transceiver. (Antenna not connected from transceiver)

IC B1600-20 PATS Ignition Key Transponder Signal Is Not Received

I have cleared them and they all come back. The car wont start at all 

so yeah as you can tell im not a car savy person

Any help will be greatly received.

Thanks all 

pic.jpg

11 minutes ago, benji1666 said:

I have cleared them and they all come back. The car wont start at all 

The Focus, especially around 2006, is notorious for Instrument cluster problems. A common one is the soldering of the main connector onto the pcb, This one can easily be fixed, once the IC is out & stripped down.

But first I would check those low battery warnings. If the battery voltage is dodgy, or there is a problem with the wiring from the battery, including the vital big earth connections, then it can cause loads of problems. It should be over 12v, at the battery, or at the power point (cigar lighter).

Then I think next suspects are the IC or ABS. It is not the same problem I had, which was a fault on the HS-CAN bus at the main connector. There are not enough U DTCs (CAN bus errors) for that, but the IC is a common element to almost all those errors except the voltage ones.

The lack of any communication with the ABS may be a clue, and the speed and cruise info are related to that unit.

The immobiliser functions are split between IC & PCM, so either IC failures, or corruption on the CAN bus between the two modules will stop it being enabled. A faulty ABS could corrupt the data, as it is on that bus. Unplugging the ABS connector might help eliminate that as a problem. If the immobiliser then worked, it would most likely be the ABS.

Also see if Forscan can do any of the self-tests on those modules.

28 minutes ago, Tdci-Peter said:

The Focus, especially around 2006, is notorious for Instrument cluster problems. A common one is the soldering of the main connector onto the pcb, This one can easily be fixed, once the IC is out & stripped down.

But first I would check those low battery warnings. If the battery voltage is dodgy, or there is a problem with the wiring from the battery, including the vital big earth connections, then it can cause loads of problems. It should be over 12v, at the battery, or at the power point (cigar lighter).

Then I think next suspects are the IC or ABS. It is not the same problem I had, which was a fault on the HS-CAN bus at the main connector. There are not enough U DTCs (CAN bus errors) for that, but the IC is a common element to almost all those errors except the voltage ones.

The lack of any communication with the ABS may be a clue, and the speed and cruise info are related to that unit.

The immobiliser functions are split between IC & PCM, so either IC failures, or corruption on the CAN bus between the two modules will stop it being enabled. A faulty ABS could corrupt the data, as it is on that bus. Unplugging the ABS connector might help eliminate that as a problem. If the immobiliser then worked, it would most likely be the ABS.

Also see if Forscan can do any of the self-tests on those modules.

Thank you for your response 

I think i might need a mechanic to sort it. seems to be way over my knowledge   

17 minutes ago, benji1666 said:

I think i might need a mechanic to sort it. seems to be way over my knowledge 

If you are lucky, it could just be a dodgy battery, or a bad connection to it. A simple multimeter can check that.

Beyond that, then it does get harder. It might need an auto-electrician, or garage good at electrical / electronic problems.

The IC can usually be repaired for about £100 if it is the fault. But at the moment it is not clear where the fault is.

• 4 months later...

My wife's car has had problems starting recently, it would just not start occasionally. They spent a bit of time on it and eventually diagnosed the fuel filter housing and changed accordingly. They thought it was sucking in air which was causing the problem. 

Two days after having the car back it wouldn't start again. At 630am it would appear to start up but conk straight out again. This happened about 5 times til I gave up. When I went to it at 10am it started 2nd time. 

I ran a deep scan on an app on my phone after connecting via a bluetooth OBDII connector and it threw up a few codes but the ones that stuck out for me were U1900 and U261B which I believe both relate to the instrument cluster. 

Your post above Peter saying that this model is notorious for it has got me thinking now. Are these easy to get out to test the connections? 

10 hours ago, steveh8204 said:

U1900 and U261B which I believe both relate to the instrument cluster. 

Your post above Peter saying that this model is notorious for it has got me thinking now. Are these easy to get out to test the connections? 

U261B is an odd one, not many reports about on the net. Did your scanner tell you which modules the faults were in? Forscan does this, it can be useful to know, with vague codes like U1900 & U261B. Each module in the car can have its own set of error messages. "Improper Program Termination" on its own, means almost nothing to me. But U codes are often related to communication errors on the CAN buses.

I see you have CMax in the profile, but maybe your wife's car is a Focus?

The Focus cluster is a little tricky to remove without damaging it. There are just 2 screws at the bottom, unclip and remove the upper steering wheel shroud to get to them. But it has lugs that dig into the fascia at the top. Flat bladed knives & old credit cards are useful tools to try to ease back the fascia, and release these lugs. But go carefully & gently, it is easy to crack the clear plastic cover, and it is not available as a spare, at least when I last looked. The top needs to be eased out after removing the screws, then the cluster just lifts out easily. Unclip the cable from the clamp behind the cluster, then it will come far enough out to remove the connector.

If you need to strip it down, there are you-tubes on this, and I have done a pdf guide.

Focus-IC.pdf

However the classic 2006 Focus IC fault generates a lot more codes than that, and usually leads to the immobiliser being active, with a fast flashing LED or warning message. This is not related to starting then stalling, it is not possible for the immobiliser to do that. Stalling sounds more like an engine or ECU related fault to me.