Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Service cost of 1.5 tdci 65 plate focus

DMB1

Hi everyone 

my focus is about to turn two year old and I’ve enquired with my local ford dealer (trust) about the cost for its next service. 

They quoted me £250 plus vat!!  Would this price be correct, for a car turning two year old? 

Next ford dealer is 30 mile away and not really worth the trip there and back. 

I didn’t think it would be a major service until next year when it turns 3 year old. 

Would it be beneficial taking it to an independent vat registered garage or would that effect the sell on value. 

Mark...

That's about how much a thorough service costs a rip off which is why I do my own servicing. 

39 minutes ago, DMB1 said:

Hi everyone 

my focus is about to turn two year old and I’ve enquired with my local ford dealer (trust) about the cost for its next service. 

They quoted me £250 plus vat!!  Would this price be correct, for a car turning two year old? 

Next ford dealer is 30 mile away and not really worth the trip there and back. 

I didn’t think it would be a major service until next year when it turns 3 year old. 

Would it be beneficial taking it to an independent vat registered garage or would that effect the sell on value. 

Mark...

Seem to recall I was quoted about £250 inc VAT for 25000 mile Ford Manufacturer service.  This also includes 12 month Ford Assist recovery which is provided by the AA and includes provision of a hire car.

As far as I'm aware you can take it to an independent registered business for service and still maintain the warranty provided the services meets Fords specification.  The only problem may be Ford software updates/diagnostics depending if the independent has access and no Ford Assist extension.

Considering a Evans Halshaw service plan which works out at £182 per year (paid monthly) inc Ford Assist for the warranty period.

7 minutes ago, Ryan_Tango said:

That's about how much a thorough service costs a rip off which is why I do my own servicing. 

If the car is under warranty can you do your own DIY servicing without affecting the warranty ?  

10 minutes ago, avi said:

If the car is under warranty can you do your own DIY servicing without affecting the warranty ?  

I'm not sure this would be have to be discussed with the warranty provider, but as long as you make note and do your servicing in line with the manufacturers requirements and specifications I can't see it being a problem. I've never cared for warranty's due to being able to sort most things out my self no problem and am fortunate enough to know a family mechanic

1 minute ago, Ryan_Tango said:

I'm not sure this would be have to be discussed with the warranty provider, but as long as you make note and do your servicing in line with the manufacturers requirements and specifications I can't see it being a problem. I've never cared for warranty's due to being able to sort most things out my self no problem and am fortunate enough to know a family mechanic

I seem to recall reading that  servicing must to provided by a registered business (need a VAT business invoices) such as an independent garage to maintain warranty.  A claim may require service proof i.e. invoice and that service meets Ford spec.

I really value the warranty as my last car had £2500 work required and I dread to think how much the three replacement turbos warranted on an Audi I had would have cost.

Servicing must be completed by a VAT registered garage or Ford dealer using Ford parts otherwise the warranty will become void. I'm assuming when you say two years old you have a 2016 Focus?

Already had this conversation with them myself, and while yes it is an expensive outlay during the warranty period. If something was to go wrong with the engine or associated parts, they can't then blame you for using a "dodgy backstreet" garage or yourself for causing a problem as apparently VAT assumes that they are a professional outfit.

a few months ago  I had my Fiesta (not Focus) 1.5tdci serviced (2yr / 25k mile service) by main ford dealer. it was £184 incl VAT.  This did not include the optional brake fluid change. Does your price include optional extras like brake fluid which are not required to keep warranty valid?   I know mine is a smaller car but I am not sure if there is anything more to do on a Focus 1.5tdci compared to a Fiesta 1.5tdci. 

That was the thing, when I rang up the girl wasn’t sure. 

But could advise oil, oil filter and air filter would be changed. 

Will just have to go with it, as the car has over 15 months warranty left (ford direct car) 

13 minutes ago, DMB1 said:

That was the thing, when I rang up the girl wasn’t sure. 

But could advise oil, oil filter and air filter would be changed. 

Will just have to go with it, as the car has over 15 months warranty left (ford direct car) 

If you register with Ford ETIS you can generate a service checklist for the appropriate year/mileage for your car.  This provides a checklist of items that Ford specify, so the dealership should follow this to maintain warranty.  This should also include "Extended Period Maintenance" at the appropriate time. These items apply to either the "interim" or "major service" but are time dependent  i.e. change brake fluid every 2 years etc.