Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Buying advice

Neversweat1

Hi 

After driving a company vehicle to work since 1985  I now need a car to commute in approx 12 miles a day - 5 days a week.

Ive been offered a 2010 Focus 1.6L 99Bhp (Apparently new shape ??)  - Full service history - New tyres - One owner but it's done 120000miles for £2,400  - As I know nothing about cars what are people's thoughts ?

Thanks

Steve.

Hi,

If it drives nicely and the engine is smooth and rattle free I don't see why it wouldn't continue to be reliable.  The issue with second hand cars in general is that you can never be 100% sure that its not a lemon until you use it everyday.  However you can minimise  the risk by checking the car out properly. 

The 1.6 engine is generally a strong  but many tend use some oil so the oil level will needs to be checked regularly.  Suspension bushes and ball joints may be wearing at this mileage aswell.  I would check the cars mot history online and check for advisories or fails this will give you a good idea of the general condition of the car.

• Like 1

Hi Jonathan - Passed every year  first time with no advisories 

Is it Chain or Belt on the Timimg do you know ?

Thanks

Steve

Should have had a belt at 120,000 but would change this anyway for piece of mind.

• Like 1

As per the above post, if there isn't a recent cambelt receipt then budget approx £300 for changing it (along with associated bits).  What trim level is it, as £2400 for the weakest engine on 2010 seems a little steep?  From a dealer not a private sale, in the summer I picked up a 59 plate 1.8 petrol Zetec for £2500 and that included full service history, a massive service 12 months ago including a new battery, new wheel bearing etc came to over £400, 6 months warranty, 12 month AA breakdown cover, a bit of bodywork respraying on the rear bumper and mileage was approx 90000.

As long as it's at least Zetec trim it may be worth going for (if it's poverty spec i.e. "LX" or "Style" then walk away at that price).  For that mileage and a price in THAT ballpark I reckon you need to be seeing a good service history and paying much closer to £2000.

Oh and make sure the bottom rear part of the front wings aren't starting to rot, they're an absolute sod for doing that.  Incidentally the <100 BHP version of 1.6 engine is pretty reliable although a bit under powered for the MK2, as long as the oil has been changed every year then engine really aught to be in good nick, even with that mileage on it.

• Thanks 1

Apparantly it's a 1.6L Zetec - 99Bhp - 5 Speed G/box

Cheers

Steve

19 minutes ago, Neversweat1 said:

Apparantly it's a 1.6L Zetec - 99Bhp - 5 Speed G/box

Cheers

Steve

If it's only Zetec trim I personally wouldn't be wanting to pay more than £2000 unless it had full service history (doesn't have to be through Ford), even with FSH I reckon £2200 absolute maximum and at that price it wants to be in good nick inside and out.  Have you any proof/confirmation of when the cambelt was last done?  If it's not been done yet then I really don't think it's worth more than £2000, maybe £2100 if it's in good nick inside and out.

• Thanks 1

car prices do vary a bit depending where you are. I live in the south of England and whenever I have looked for a car it looks to me like they can be got cheaper up north.

and if you like the car and it's £2,400 , how much time and effort are you prepared to put into travelling and inspecting other cars to save a couple of hundred quid and then possibly wishing at a later date you had bought the £2,400 car.     But, as mentioned above, timing belt very important.   If it has not been done , don't chance it, get it done.  If they say it's been done make sure it is evidenced. 

On my previous car i did it myself but I took photos of it being done catching the chassis number in the photos as evidence in case anyone ever asked for proof if i sold it (sold to family in the end).  Yeah I know someone could fake a photo but it's the best evidence you can do if doing the job yourself.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club