Do Not Sell My Personal Information

K&N Filter - worth it?

Jon Bhoy

Had a bit of a strange one as when i top up my tank it usually tells me i will get about 380 miles (Zetec S 1.8 petrol 60 plate) but past 2 fills its told me 353 which is a fair old drop . Tyres all good and pumped up,got iridium plugs i put in last year, and looked around for leaks but nothing.I need to do an oil change in the next couple of weeks but also thought ill replace the air filter.

I have wondered if its worth paying roughly £50 for a K&N filter and wondered if anyones used it with successful results?

Many thanks all and a very happy new year to all fellow Focusers.

Very much doubt it. Fitted one to my mk2 2.0 petrol and all it did was make more noise, it had removable baffle/bung. Didn't improve mpg or performance. What condition is the current air filter in? 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Dave1981 said:

Very much doubt it. Fitted one to my mk2 2.0 petrol and all it did was make more noise, it had removable baffle/bung. Didn't improve mpg or performance. What condition is the current air filter in? 

+1 For the above post.

IMHO on a naturally aspirated petrol you'll be hard pressed to see any real performance/economy boost for using using a high flow air filter.

• Thanks 1

Hi Dave,the air filter at the moment doesnt seem to dirty.Replaced it a year back and have done about 5k on it.

Now was it a "Nice" sporty noise or just a pain in the backside noise? ;-)

Just now, 1979Damian said:

+1 For the above post.

IMHO on a naturally aspirated petrol you'll be hard pressed to see any real performance/economy boost for using using a high flow air filter.

Hi Damian,many thanks for the reply.I kind of wondered if that would be the case to be honest but was hoping the usual ""You will get 110 miles and a huge performance boost if you add it" might happen while all the time thinking "Dont waste your money".

22 minutes ago, Jon Bhoy said:

Hi Damian,many thanks for the reply.I kind of wondered if that would be the case to be honest but was hoping the usual ""You will get 110 miles and a huge performance boost if you add it" might happen while all the time thinking "Dont waste your money".

lol.  We all know the difference between what we REALLY believe and what we WANT to believe, we've pretty much all all been in that position and either made or almost made that purchase that we knew deep down wouldn't deliver what the seller stated but we WANTED it to. :biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bit like putting 98-100 Ron unleaded in a standard car. Lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, iantt said:

In a 1.4 petrol MK2 Focus? :wallbash:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, iantt said:

Got to admit i did try Shell V Power for a couple of tanks and found the car felt better and got more miles out of a tank.But when i offset it against the extra cost i gave up.Just chuck a bit of redex cleaner in to a tank and thats about it for me but think i need to look for something with a bit more oooomph as ive felt realy let down by the 1.8 engine.

I do that! Run super unleaded in mine all the time.. It was kind a half way house between nice induction roar when floored to an annoying Drone when on a long run.. No performance boost or mpg increase. I just swap the stock paper one out each yr.. 

I do run miller's additive with each tank though. And I had mine terracleaned while back. That alone made biggest difference for mpg and performance. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dave1981 said:

I do that! Run super unleaded in mine all the time.. It was kind a half way house between nice induction roar when floored to an annoying Drone when on a long run.. No performance boost or mpg increase. I just swap the stock paper one out each yr.. 

I do run miller's additive with each tank though. And I had mine terracleaned while back. That alone made biggest difference for mpg and performance. 

+1 for a Terraclean, it makes to a massive difference to sooty old TDCi's like my Lynx engined Focus :biggrin:

• Like 1

nothing wrong with either of the 1.6 or 1.8 ford petrol engines , its weight that dulls the performance of the mk2 focus pure and simple.

lightening the car would improve acceleration significantly better than any induction kit and premium fuel ..........

;-)

• Like 1

Got to say i think i was spoiled back in the mid 1990's with the 1.8 Vauxhall engine and think next step will be the Astra VXR at some point. Terraclean i heard worry stories about so its nice to hear positive ones.What sort of costs are involved lads?

I paid £109 for mine in 2016.. It goes on engine size, or at least did when I did mine.. Took bout an hr, higher milage engines benefit more from it. Mine only had 47k on clock when it was done but the difference was noticeable. 

1 hour ago, Jon Bhoy said:

Got to say i think i was spoiled back in the mid 1990's with the 1.8 Vauxhall engine and think next step will be the Astra VXR at some point. Terraclean i heard worry stories about so its nice to hear positive ones.What sort of costs are involved lads?

About £120 3 years ago for my 1.8 TDCi, it made an instant and noticeable difference.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club