Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Correct Diagnostic Reader for my TDCI

iamthequinn

Hi all,  can anyone confirm what the correct type of diagnostic reader I should get for my Mk3 TDCI Mondeo (facelift version). I read elsewhere that it was OBD2 but this doesn't seem to be the case...

Any info gratefully received.

All cars sold have an obd 2 port. They came in around 1997/98 I believe. 

In my mk4 it is to the right of the steering wheel in a little compartment behind a cover. Think it was in a similar place on my mk3 as well. 

My dads 99 Volvo has one as well. 

Depending on what you want to read a generic fault code reader will tell you how the engine is running, faults and any stored codes on the memory. It should allow you to clear any old codes as well once any repairs have been done. 

I have just got a generic one but haven’t used it yet. 

Hope this helps

‘Obd2’ wasn’t mandatory until 2001 for Petrol and 2004 for diesel. Some cars were fitted with it before this but otherwise it would be obd1

Thanks.  Ghia15, I know where the port is: when I plugged it in this morning the software said it couldn't access the ECU.  The manual says that's because the car isn't OBD2.

Stef123 - yep, I saw that on the interweb before I bought it: I assumed that as mine was a facelift Mk3 on an 04 plate it would be compatible, but looks like I was wrong.  I've also (subsequently) seen some say that they've got later Mk3's which also aren't OBD2, some talking about CANBUS?

Just want to make sure I get the right one next time :laugh:

Found this on TalkFord.com which really doesn't help.

Maybe I should ask a different question: those who have a Mk3 TDCI, what diagnostic scanners do you use?

I use a bluepoint one, works perfect on my 2006 mondeo 

• Like 1

On 07/01/2018 at 8:12 PM, iamthequinn said:

That looks ideal!

Just a quick note, if you referring to the post by Pragmatix he has a MK4 and not a MK3 Mondeo which is a very different beast electronically.

18 minutes ago, 1979Damian said:

Just a quick note, if you referring to the post by Pragmatix he has a MK4 and not a MK3 Mondeo which is a very different beast electronically.

Works with a mk3 been using it for years , in fact works with any Ford , with an OBD port

7 minutes ago, pragmatix said:

Works with a mk3 been using it for years , in fact works with any Ford , with an OBD port

I was thinking more from a cable perspective with the Op saying that it's not ODB2 on his car, I've not fiddled with a non-ODB2 car though so I'll bow to your superior knowledge :biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, there was an issue with early facelift Mondies that altho' they had single-box brains

they weren't OBD11 compliant. (Well, not an issue...that's how they were)

I've got a 2002 Mondy, which has the 2-box brain, separate ICU and ECU, and to reprogram my injector codes, I had to buy a FORDIAG from the Czec Republic cost around £80, but I do believe a UK firm called tunnelrat electronics now do a much cheaper one that works with non-OBD11 Mondies.  Check out their site:

https://tunnelrat-electronics.fwscart.com/

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club