Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Fiesta EcoBoost 1.0, 2014 - thoughts on price

adamd

As per my other thread in the general forum, I have been offered the 123bhp version of this car for £7,500. It is white, 17 inch alloys, 9,200 on the clock, excellent condition throughout. From browsing Autotrader I can see that similar cars are going for £8,300 - £10,200 so feel that I am getting a pretty good price. Any thoughts on the price? Any other considerations I need to make when deciding?

I'd say that's decent plus for that mileage ain't bad. Obviously when you go to check it make sure you take a good look around, check the body work for any damage or bodget attempts to hide a damage. If the seller said work has been done make sure you check the receipts for evidence. Never rush into it. The fiesta I have, the previous owner advertised it had a new clutch, timing belt and water pump plus it has been remapped. He said he will post the paperwork out for these things sadly nothing has turned up. You don't want to have a regret with a car. Never trust a seller unless they have proof. 

It might help to compare it to my Fiesta (bought in October 2017):

Mine is a 2015 1.0 Ecoboost (100PS) Titanium with 18k on the clock when I bought it for £8500 from a trade seller (VW Stourbridge).
I know that when I was searching the 125PS versions were coming up on average £500 more expensive, and the private seller vehicles were coming up about £500 cheaper.
Factoring in the age and mileage of the Fiesta you are looking at, I would say it is a very good price for a private seller.

A few things to note/check before buying:

Being a 1.0 Ecoboost (and 2014) you might want to read this thread, and make sure to check this before buying it. I know the seller is a relative from your other thread, however this is easily missed even by trained Ford techs!

You will get a bit more road noise with the 17inch alloys

That link is quite worrying, sort of puts me off buying a 125ps Titanium X which i was looking to do in 2/3 months

Still considering buying the car but have read some negative stories regarding engine failure on the EcoBoosts. No doubt I am now really questioning whether it is a good move.

On a slightly unrelated note, does anyone know if the Fiesta 1.0 Ecoboost Titanium has a 'miles to empty' indicator anywhere? I can't seem to find it on the electronic display and have been through the settings a few times!

I would have thought it would have miles to empty. My 2015 Fiesta Style Diesel Econetic does.  Where the mileometer is, if i press the left stalk end it chages to trip mileometer, spot mpg, average mpg, average mph and miles to empty - not neccessarily in that order

• Like 1

there have been a lot of failures on these engines which appears to be it's intolerance to a coolant leak. I know engines in general will suffer if the coolant leaks but these engines seem to suffer serious damage quicker than some others.  Link that also to the problems they had with plastic coolant pipes breaking. and now there are the metal turbo cooling pipes which are rusting and can't be replaced on their own and need the whole turbo replacing to rectify.

But we don't know the percentage of failures. there are a huge number of these engines in use so even a small % might seem a lot. Whereas a less common car might suffer the same % failure but it does not seem so prevelant as the actual number is lower.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, adamd said:

Still considering buying the car but have read some negative stories regarding engine failure on the EcoBoosts. No doubt I am now really questioning whether it is a good move.

On a slightly unrelated note, does anyone know if the Fiesta 1.0 Ecoboost Titanium has a 'miles to empty' indicator anywhere? I can't seem to find it on the electronic display and have been through the settings a few times!

It cycles through Trip, average miles, miles to empty average MPG and instant MPG  - as to the engine failure its only a small number from the 1000's of ecoboost out there if you check the condition of the pipes in on the turbo - if their like the picture above  - run away - if they are clean then I woudn't worry too  much - you can have problems with any car

Back to the price, I am convinced it is at a discount if I pay £7,250-7,500 as an Autotrader search (within 100 miles) for the same car with comparable mileage produces 10 results with a range of £8.5k-9.9k. Surely depreciation for a year isn't going to be more than £1-1.5k?

Checked the engine and can see no rust at all as can be seen in the earlier post.

4 minutes ago, adamd said:

Back to the price, I am convinced it is at a discount if I pay £7,250-7,500 as an Autotrader search (within 100 miles) for the same car with comparable mileage produces 10 results with a range of £8.5k-9.9k. Surely depreciation for a year isn't going to be more than £1-1.5k?

Checked the engine and can see no rust at all as can be seen in the earlier post.

That's good that there is no rust on the turbo cooling pipes. This means it was likely part of a good batch or the turbo has been changed due to the problem occurring earlier in its life (more likely the former).

In terms of the price, as I said before, I think it is an excellent price and I would estimate 1 year of depreciation to be around £800-1000.

I have been reading about the problems with the ecoboost engine and wonder if all of the affected models were dealt with under the product recall? I have searched the reg number of the vehicle I am considering buying and there are no notes to suggest that it needed to be recalled.

Yeah the prices for used cars seem to have gone up. I can't find anywhere in the country that's selling mine for the same or less than what I paid for it. Least I found was £6700.

Try and get yourself a full tank of fuel and it's not a bad price given the recent increase.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club