Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Tyres Wanted - and you're help

SuttonRider

I'm running a 2017 Focus on Michelin Sport 3  235 / 40 18 and am coming up for front tyres soon. I've found the current tyres tramline and want to fit something better that doesn't. I've been along to the tyre place to see what they recommend. It was suggested as the same tyre behaves differently from car type to car type to see what others are running on the same car / tyre size. At the moment I'm thinking of fitting Michelin Sport 4 or Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3. Has anyone experience of either of these tyres or can you recommend something else? - Thanks.

I dont see how a different tyre brand will make the slightest difference to tramlining as this isnt caused by tread pattern in the first place......

Tramlining can happen on badly worn tyres and it doesn't matter which brand or type.
Did you car tramline from new?

A 2017 car shouldn't have badly worn tyres.

The Focus on 18s tramlines due to the extra width, there really isn't a lot you can do.

I can tell you from experience the Goodyear Eagle F1s tramline like a goodun on the ST.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't know if the car tramlined from new as I've only just got it at 8500 miles. I think the front tyres must have been swapped out before I got the car as they are at 3mm whereas the rears are at 6mm

Hi,

If the front tyres are down to 3mm at 8500 miles the car has probably been driven hard or there is a mileage discrepancy.

3 hours ago, JONATHAN_11_80 said:

Hi,

If the front tyres are down to 3mm at 8500 miles the car has probably been driven hard or there is a mileage discrepancy.

It's highly likely to have been given a good hard thrashing!

• Like 1

My fronts are down to 3mm and moved to the back on the ST at 11k. How did they manage to do it in 8.5k

11 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

My fronts are down to 3mm and moved to the back on the ST at 11k. How did they manage to do it in 8.5k

You've clearly been "enjoying" your ST :biggrin:

As I said, I think the fronts have been swapped out before I brought the car.

12 hours ago, alexp999 said:

The same way as I get through a set of bike tyres in 1800 miles lol. Driving it like it’s meant to be driven. 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, stef123 said:

The same way as I get through a set of bike tyres in 1800 miles lol. Driving it like it’s meant to be driven. 

Yeah but 8.5k in a 1.5 diesel?

2 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

Yeah but 8.5k in a 1.5 diesel?

It’s not the engine size that matters it’s how you drive it lol. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stef123 said:

It’s not the engine size that matters it’s how you drive it lol. 

Torque and power output does influence how quickly you tend to get through the tyres though. I'm just surprised they managed to eat through the tyres that quick with that engine.

12 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

Torque and power output does influence how quickly you tend to get through the tyres though. I'm just surprised they managed to eat through the tyres that quick with that engine.

I could wreck a set of tyres quicker than that in the wife’s 1.4 ibiza, tearing it round corners isn’t long in shredding the rubber. 

3 minutes ago, stef123 said:

I could wreck a set of tyres quicker than that in the wife’s 1.4 ibiza, tearing it round corners isn’t long in shredding the rubber. 

Sure if you were intending to, but you must know what I mean that high power cars tend to eat through their tyres quickly and the OPs car has abnormally high tyre wear.

2 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

Sure if you were intending to, but you must know what I mean that high power cars tend to eat through their tyres quickly and the OPs car has abnormally high tyre wear.

But he doesn’t know where the car has been or how it was driven in its first 8500 miles so there is every chance I’d say that someone has ragged it about. 

That said, I have had brand new tyres on a vehicle before and found I have had a crap mileage from them, replaced then with the same model of tyre because I liked the grip and got so much more mileage from them. 

I run the Goodyear Eagle 3 asymetrics in that size on my 1.6tdci Mk3. Very happy with grip, performance, and they weren't too bad on the ice the other day. A LOT better than the Continentals that were on there from new (They took 30000 miles to wear to 3mm), especially in the cold.

Are you sure its tramlining caused by the tyres, normally its just the ruts caused by trucks in the tarmac or the rubbish concrete surface on the M25 that causes it. The eagles certainly are no difference from the Conti's on either

My eagle F1 AS2's are terrible for grip in the cold. Even says about it in the manual below 7 deg C.

I don't know if they improved the compound on the AS3s.

I have temp sensors on mine. The contis had zero grip below 7C and felt like concrete. The Eagle 3's are fine at -1c and grip normally and are supple still so obviously they have changed the silicon levels

Lateral cornering grip is also better and turn in an order of magnitude above the conti's. Wet weather braking is superb. 

I'll grant the conti's one thing, they lasted well, but so would solid concrete which could have been what they were made of

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm baffled that your tires are down that low at 8500 miles. My Conti SportContact 3's supplied from factory did a total of 25k per the car's milage and that's after I picked her up on 13.5k miles. My sportcontact 5's that replaced them also did 25k. I'm now on 51k and just recently fitted premiumcontact 6s.

Please don't fixate on the 3mm at 8500 miles as I said the wheels have been swapped out. That car has NOT gone through front tyres in 8500 miles.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the inputs guys. Having weight it all up with info from here and various other places I've gone with the PS4's. Lets hope its the right decision, bit expensive if not.

OK follow up - I've changed the 2 fronts for Michelin Pilot Sport 4's and although I've only done 30 or so miles my first impression is they are quieter than the worn Sport 3's that came off. I also think the tramlining problem has improved a little.