Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Injector Leak

DaveG

Alarmingly I've noticed that Injector leaks appear to be common on 1.4tdci engines and have read the stories about high repair costs elsewhwere on this Forum, is it as common as would appear, i.e does every Fusion have the same fault or is it a certain run (e.g 2005-2007 ?).

Is there anything that can be done to avoid it (i.e using injector cleaners such as redex etc), and how do you know you've got a problem & when to get the job done, like myself many of us probably have no idea where the injectors are.

I've seen pricies ranging from £300 up to £900 for repair and if you get it done how long can you expect the work to last?

I figure that anyone answering the above would not only put my fears to rest but would also help others who also share the concern, people tend to go on these forums when they have problem, hoping to get answers etc, so from my perspective and I have no doubt many others, I have no idea if "every" fusion is at risk or just a few, and looking at Honest John's web site (a site I like using) leaky injectors has'nt had a big press and it's not highlighted as a problem in the main Fusion review on that site, whereas if it was a common problem I'd have expected to see a mention of leaky injectors.

Alarmingly I've noticed that Injector leaks appear to be common on 1.4tdci engines and have read the stories about high repair costs elsewhwere on this Forum, is it as common as would appear, i.e does every Fusion have the same fault or is it a certain run (e.g 2005-2007 ?).

Is there anything that can be done to avoid it (i.e using injector cleaners such as redex etc), and how do you know you've got a problem & when to get the job done, like myself many of us probably have no idea where the injectors are.

I've seen pricies ranging from £300 up to £900 for repair and if you get it done how long can you expect the work to last?

I figure that anyone answering the above would not only put my fears to rest but would also help others who also share the concern, people tend to go on these forums when they have problem, hoping to get answers etc, so from my perspective and I have no doubt many others, I have no idea if "every" fusion is at risk or just a few, and looking at Honest John's web site (a site I like using) leaky injectors has'nt had a big press and it's not highlighted as a problem in the main Fusion review on that site, whereas if it was a common problem I'd have expected to see a mention of leaky injectors.

Well the above was posted 2 days ago and i presume by the lack of response that injector leaks are'nt that common ??.

Well the above was posted 2 days ago and i presume by the lack of response that injector leaks are'nt that common ??.

Not wishing to temp fate....so far so good with mine 32k and all good so far :)

Either that, or there aren't many Fusion owners regularly on the site...

If your injectors are going to go - then they're going to go, and there aint much you can do about it.

If its out of warranty then you will probably have to pay for the repairs too.

Aside from that, I dont know much about either diesels or redex, tbh I would do some research into fuel additives before you start filling your tank up with them if I were you...

GL :)

I had a mechanic mate have a quick check yesterday when he changed the rear shock (damn pot holes:-( and the car's done 63k but he reckons it looks ok and I would know if i had a problem.

Ref fuel additives; I've been using them for several years, usually getting redex when on offer, there are many (look at the reviews on Halfords) that think additives are wonderful for boosting mpg, mph etc,etc, i disagree I've never noticed any increase in speed/torque but I have notived a "tiny" improvement in mpg. Which car magazine (in Sainsburys), did a great article on both petrol and diesel additives and essentially knocked the crap out of diesel additives. Basically the expensive stuff (£15 +) is no better than the cheaper stuff and a lot of it does'nt do what it says on the bottle/box (mph etc).

Whether I'm right or wrong I do believe that an additive can help clean your fuel system, much in the same way as am enhanced fuel probably does, and as I'm a perpetual worrier adding a little jetex a few times a year helps put my mind to rest.

I've also read somewhere that caning 1.4 tdci's can lead to injector leaks.

I also posted the same question ref leaky injectors on honest john and got no responses at all, and there are a lot of Fusions on the road which means I'm no further forward knowing whether it's a major problem or not..... at least I don't own a Toyota :D

I had a mechanic mate have a quick check yesterday when he changed the rear shock (damn pot holes:-( and the car's done 63k but he reckons it looks ok and I would know if i had a problem.

Ref fuel additives; I've been using them for several years, usually getting redex when on offer, there are many (look at the reviews on Halfords) that think additives are wonderful for boosting mpg, mph etc,etc, i disagree I've never noticed any increase in speed/torque but I have notived a "tiny" improvement in mpg. Which car magazine (in Sainsburys), did a great article on both petrol and diesel additives and essentially knocked the crap out of diesel additives. Basically the expensive stuff (£15 +) is no better than the cheaper stuff and a lot of it does'nt do what it says on the bottle/box (mph etc).

Whether I'm right or wrong I do believe that an additive can help clean your fuel system, much in the same way as am enhanced fuel probably does, and as I'm a perpetual worrier adding a little jetex a few times a year helps put my mind to rest.

I've also read somewhere that caning 1.4 tdci's can lead to injector leaks.

I also posted the same question ref leaky injectors on honest john and got no responses at all, and there are a lot of Fusions on the road which means I'm no further forward knowing whether it's a major problem or not..... at least I don't own a Toyota :D

I heard somewhere that caning a diesel from time to time was good for it, not sure if thats true though

My worry would be that if I started using these additives, I might try to convince myself that they're good and they're making a positive difference. When in reality I could be wasting money on a placebo that could potentially be doing no good at all...

I'll look for that which car review

Hi Dave G, its not the injecters that leak, its the washers that seal the injecter to the cylinder head. You will know when they go as you will hear a puffing noise with engine running and smell exhaust fumes in the car with the heater fan on. Hope that helps Dave

replacing the seals should cost around £300 at a good local garage.

replacing the seals should cost around £300 at a good local garage.

just had seals & return pipes fitted at a local garage, the charge was £200 & i am more than satisfied with the work done & at the price cheaper than many iv'e seen,

regards ronin

So in conclusion then:

1. It's not a matter of when an injector leak occurs, more a matter of "if" it occurs.
  2. You can easily tell that you've got a problem, by the puffing sound coming from the engine and the smell/fumes of diesel in the car.
  3. And if you have a problem finding a decent garage that won't rip you, should'nt cost you that much to get it fixed (around £300).

I presume the bulk of the cost of repair is labour which is why there is such a wide difference in price.

Is that a fair assessment ?

Hi Dave G yes that is a fair assessment but it is not too difficult too do yourself with the aid of a haynes manual, i did my mates in about 3hrs. Hope that helps Dave

• 1 month later...

Oh dear maybe i spoke too soon ... 35k and the injector seals have gone ...:(

The good news:-

ITS COVERED BY MY WARRENTY ...:)

• 2 weeks later...

Oh dear maybe i spoke too soon ... 35k and the injector seals have gone ...:(

The good news:-

ITS COVERED BY MY WARRENTY ...:)

Well it came back today so fingers crossed...:)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club