Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

May be leaving ford :( is this a good deal?

Only 20 so cant get a test drive...got a friend that has one though will give me a shot on the back roads. 
Will keep you updated on the new car hunt. 

Seriously? They can sell you it but you can’t test drive it, that would put me off right away. Surely that’s *****, do they think you are just in it for the drive of a fast car perhaps?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, Jonro2009 said:

Seriously? They can sell you it but you can’t test drive it, that would put me off right away. Surely that’s *****, do they think you are just in it for the drive of a fast car perhaps?

Its to do with insurance purposes. No place lets you drive it unless you are 21. Very annoying

Opinions please!

The 2.0 is £400 more a year to insure. Crazy right. 

Whats everyones thoughts? Spend the 400 quid and have the engine I really want and potentially will have for the next 3 years or save the 400 and go with the 1.8

1.8TFSI 

Power 177 bhp
Top Speed 149 mph
0-60 mph 6.7 secs
Torque 250 Nm, 184 ft-lb
CO2 Emissions 138 g/km
Euro Emissions Standard 6
Miles Per Tank 517 miles

2.0 TFSI 

Power 226 bhp
Top Speed 155 mph
0-60 mph 5.8 secs
Torque 370 Nm, 273 ft-lb
CO2 Emissions 141 g/km
Miles Per Tank 505 miles

The 1.8 is still Ford ST performance figures.

Unless the 2.0 is AWD/4WD I doubt you'd be able to get the power down to benefit from the extra performance. 0.9s isn't a lot.

That's a lot of money for a car you won't own.

The question you have to ask yourself is will you be sitting in the 1.8 and wishing you had spent the extra £400? If the answer is yes then you know what you have to do. You said it yourself, this is possibly a once in a life time thing so do it the way you want and without compromise. Providing you can afford it, and that’s none of my business.
On the other hand Alex is spot on, you will rarely ever get to use the extra power that the 2.0 can offer. You aren’t likely to go over or even reach 149mph unless you go on a track day or the autobahn.

I know what I would do, I’d get the best I could comfortably afford and smile every time I drove it. You know what they say ‘if you don’t turn round and look at your car every time you walk away then you have bought the wrong car’

16 hours ago, alexp999 said:

The 1.8 is still Ford ST performance figures.

Unless the 2.0 is AWD/4WD I doubt you'd be able to get the power down to benefit from the extra performance. 0.9s isn't a lot.

Its front wheel. The 4 wheel drive cuts it down to 5.2 seconds and the insurance is even more 

8 hours ago, Jonro2009 said:

The question you have to ask yourself is will you be sitting in the 1.8 and wishing you had spent the extra £400? If the answer is yes then you know what you have to do. You said it yourself, this is possibly a once in a life time thing so do it the way you want and without compromise. Providing you can afford it, and that’s none of my business.
On the other hand Alex is spot on, you will rarely ever get to use the extra power that the 2.0 can offer. You aren’t likely to go over or even reach 149mph unless you go on a track day or the autobahn.

I know what I would do, I’d get the best I could comfortably afford and smile every time I drove it. You know what they say ‘if you don’t turn round and look at your car every time you walk away then you have bought the wrong car’

Its the hardest decision, I have to say. Because I may have the car for 3 years I dont want to get bored of it. Never going to go that speed its more just knowing its got that power. I think ill try and get out in a 1.8 and see if its noticeably different from the 2.0, which I doubt. 

And I agree, if im not turning round going "wow thats my car" then its the wrong car. 

13 hours ago, Jethro_Tull said:

That's a lot of money for a car you won't own.

Not fussed about owning the car. Would prefer to switch my car every 2/3 years without the hassle of trying to sell it. Also buying cars like this outright is rare unless you're mega rich! 

3 minutes ago, fraserrg said:

Not fussed about owning the car. Would prefer to switch my car every 2/3 years without the hassle of trying to sell it. Also buying cars like this outright is rare unless you're mega rich! 

Part ex every 2/3 years, thats what a chunk of us do. 

But you are right, it does require a large amount of equity to begin with for a vehicle like that.

Plus on top of that you have to pay for maintenance, service repairs and tyres for a car someone else owns.  Madness.

You can lease one from £259 a month, so why anyone would chuck their money at a PCP is beyond me.  Either buy one, or lease one.  This halfway house in the middle is a rip off.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jethro_Tull said:

Plus on top of that you have to pay for maintenance, service repairs and tyres for a car someone else owns.  Madness.

You can lease one from £259 a month, so why anyone would chuck their money at a PCP is beyond me.  Either buy one, or lease one.  This halfway house in the middle is a rip off.

PCP is still potentially buying one, you can own the car at the end if you want to.

Any finance package or badly priced car bought outright at the start can still be a rip off.

You just have to weigh up the pros and cons of each

• Like 1

PCP is still potentially buying one, you can own the car at the end if you want to.
Any finance package or badly priced car bought outright at the start can still be a rip off.
You just have to weigh up the pros and cons of each

Spot on. I was in a situation several years back where my then current vehicle was stolen (Golf GTI) and burnt out, the Insurance only covered 3/4 of what I needed to replace it like for like. I knew I had some bonds maturing in the next 8 months so instead of buying something as a stop gap I bought the car I wanted on PCP as it was cheaper than a loan and then when my money came through I paid off the finance in full keeping the cheap service pack I had purchased as an incentive to take out Finance. Factoring that in and the payments I made I think the car cost me £280 more than if I had just bought it outright from the get go.

Also, sometimes PCP can save you a fortune. Buy the car on 0% and the price is discounted heavily anyway, take out any cheap incentives offered by the dealer/finance company (service package, paint or interior treatment etc), make 1 payment and then immediately pay off in full.

• Like 1

1.8TFSI 

Power 177 bhp
Top Speed 149 mph
0-60 mph 6.7 secs
Torque 250 Nm, 184 ft-lb
CO2 Emissions 138 g/km
Miles Per Tank 517 miles

VS My current fiesta

Power 138 bhp
Top Speed 125 mph
0-60 mph 8.7 secs
Torque 210 Nm, 155 ft-lb
CO2 Emissions 104 g/km
Miles Per Tank 572 miles

Is that really a big jump? 

Do you have any in-gear comparisons? That usually makes the biggest difference in my experience.

• 4 weeks later...

To be honest, reading through this thread looks like you've already decided and have your heart set on one and all you're really looking for from here is concurrence!

If you really like it, can afford it and won't regret it then go for it and most peeps on here will be happy to help you at least decide on the RIGHT one!

Wow I'm 30 and I can't imagine what my insurance would be on one since my renewal for a 1.6 diesel mk3 focus was over £700...

If you can afford it, go for it.  And go for the 2.0 instead of the 1.8.

Nothing worse than wishing you'd spent the extra on a better car, but then being stuck with it for years to get your money's worth.

I must admit though, as much as I like VAG stuff, S Line doesn't appeal to me, it's essentially a Zetec S...will always be under than the decent one...

A mate of mine drives a brand new Audi as his works car, 3 times since January he's had to have it towed to a garage...

My 2000 Ford Focus 1.6 with 145,000 miles on the clock has not long passed an MOT & only needed 2 tires to do it. It's never broken down since I've owned it (over a year).

Best £275 stop gap car I've ever bought, & that gap just keeps getting longer.

I have heard the 2.0L TFSI engines drink nearly as much oil as petrol. Lol nevermind I've already posted that on the previous page.

Personally I'd never finance a car unless it was hardly going to depreciate (e.g. Focus RS). I guess I just like to get my money's worth. Just buy a 2 year old model for half the price. Keep for 2-3 years and sell for not much less than what you paid for it.

Take my Fiesta for example, bought it 18 months ago (ish) and the cheapest one on autotrader with similar miles and same year were £250 more than what I paid.

• 1 month later...

Hello all. 

So I waitied and found a better deal and went ahead with it! Pick up the new beast on Saturday, cannot wait! Sad to be leaving the forum it was great joining for mod ideas on my first car. Great community.

Car is a 2016 Audi TT 2.0 TFSI S-line.

Parking sensors

Deluxe climate control

10k miles on clock

19 inch alloys 

florrett silver metalic paint

230bhp 

Got 2 free services chucked in and a free autoglym paint protection. 

Overall cost is £295 per month (£50 more than my fiesta at the moment) obviously will spend more on fuel but all budgeted for. 

Pics below, what do we think (it looks ALOT better in the flesh. The colour really pops.)

IMG-6535.thumb.JPG.fe70a3f64e68b1fa0ae51684a7692d42.JPGIMG-6536.thumb.JPG.9e5442c0d1e197eb32ecfa48cd25a84b.JPGIMG-6537.thumb.JPG.db9888aa1924edc501550fef5eea1381.JPGIMG-6534.thumb.JPG.a2f95813e37294c320b1602f410f8eca.JPG

Does look good 👍. Lol I'm 20 also and would be scared to finance anything. Only powerful and economical car I'm thinking of getting on a budget is a mk5 golf GT sport 170hp 2 litre TDI but that's in a couple of years. I've only owned my mk6.5 fiesta zetec s for 10 months :laugh:

One question I'd like to ask is what does it mean by TFSI? I know TSI means it has a turbo on it. 

11 hours ago, zain611 said:

Does look good 👍. Lol I'm 20 also and would be scared to finance anything. Only powerful and economical car I'm thinking of getting on a budget is a mk5 golf GT sport 170hp 2 litre TDI but that's in a couple of years. I've only owned my mk6.5 fiesta zetec s for 10 months :laugh:

One question I'd like to ask is what does it mean by TFSI? I know TSI means it has a turbo on it. 

from google :) 

Turbocharged fuel stratified injection (TFSI) denotes a type of forced-aspiration ("turbo") engine where the fuel is pressure-injected straight into the combustion chamber in such a way as to create a stratified charge.

TSI and TFSI mean exactly the same thing, it's equivalent to CDTi and TDCi lol.  Both turbo stratified injection, just one includes 'fuel'.  To make it more confusing, some also have a supercharger as well as a turbo, without any difference in the badge.

Fraser, it's not my thing really but does look nice.  Though at 20 you'll get pulled over every day as the cops will think you've stolen it! :laugh:  What do you do for work out of interest?

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club