Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auto Mainbeam

bluepeter

When i drive my car at night the Auto Main beam seems to stay on for far longer than i would imagine it to do, Have often knocked it off manually only for it to come straight back on,

The thing is, i have not been flashed at as you would think if its dazzling anyone, just wondered if this is quite normal ?. My car is a vignale with the adaptive headlights. Have looked in the setting and made sure they are set up for right hand cars. 

As in the adaptive LED headlights. If so when it sees oncoming there designed to shape the beam to stop dazzling those oncoming traffic. Probably small differences so you don't notice

7 hours ago, bluepeter said:

When i drive my car at night the Auto Main beam seems to stay on for far longer than i would imagine it to do, Have often knocked it off manually only for it to come straight back on,

The thing is, i have not been flashed at as you would think if its dazzling anyone, just wondered if this is quite normal ?. My car is a vignale with the adaptive headlights. Have looked in the setting and made sure they are set up for right hand cars. 

The operative word here is adaptive. The adaptive bit senses a vehicle coming towards you and adjusts the light output accordingly, not sure how. I have the LED headlights and mine are on auto everything. In 12k miles I've been flashed a couple of times only and one of those was when the main beam was off.

Ohhhh, an Edge Vignale owner!

The adaptive lights which the Vignale and others use is a very complicated and refined system with over 35 different beam patterns for all different driving conditions. I would suggest it is OK.

Light modes

overview

Click to resize E184320

The LED supports different beam patterns (for playstreet, town, country, highway, high beam and bad weather conditions) and which can be used for vehicles in both right-hand and left-hand traffic.

Hence the low beam and adaptive frontlighting system is activated, the light mode will change with vehicle speed and ambient light detected. The adaptive frontlighting system functions will be activated hence the light switch is in position 'AUTO'. In position 'ON' the adaptive frontlighting system functions are deactivated, but dynamic leveling is continuously working.

In order to safe energy as most as possible several light performance modes has been established for low beam. Therefore every light mode will be connected to a light performance executed by performance control the LED by LIN commands to the LED driver module. The level of performance will be adjusted by LIN command from headlamp control module to the LED driver modules.

Table of light class activation without adverse weather light:

min speed (km/h) max speed (km/h)
The play street light (V1) 0 30
town light (V) 31 50
country light (C) 51 80
Highway light (E3) 81 90
Highway light (E2) 91 100
Highway light (E1) 101 110
Highway light (E & 30 sec) 110 130
Highway light (E & 0 sec.) 130 top speed

The play street light (as a sub function to V-class town light) light distribution migrates seamless to town light with increasing speed and vice versa. When the reverse gear is engaged with low beam activated, the light distribution remains unchanged in playstreet mode, but puts static bending light to 100%.

The followingcountry light, C-class light will be activated if the speed is higher than 50 km/h.

The Highway light will be activated only if:

• the vehicle speed is for the duration of 30 seconds higher than 80 km/h (E activated) or
  • the vehicle speed is above 130 km/h without delay (E activated)

Once the system is in any E class (E1, E2, E3, E) it will change between the certain class E modes without hysteresis.

The bad weather light mode will be activated only when wiper is activated for two minutes (min 80 wipes in two minutes continously) and front fog lamps are deactivated. In case the vehicle is driving faster then 50km/h the class 'adverse weather light' will be deactivated.

Dynamic bending light is activated with the Advanced Front Lighting feature that provides illumination on the curved and winding road by swiveling a low/high beam projector assembly in each headlamp. The two low beam assemblies are operated via one control unit headlamp control module using vehicle inputs of vehicle speed, steering wheel angle, yaw rate, and other support signals.

The Advanced Front Lighting feature dynamically swivels the low/ high beams when all of the following are met:

• Ignition State is in RUN
  • and Initialization is complete
  • and Low/ High Beam Status is AUTO
  • and a valid, fully calibrated steering wheel angle message is received.
  • and ambient light sensor detects 'NIGHTTIME'

Advanced Front Lighting is a function of vehicle speed and steering wheel angle position and is active as long as the conditions above are met and all vehicle input signals are received and valid.

The static bending light is used to illuminate narrow corners, intersections or gateways the customer drives in rather slow speeds. In forward driving condition the right side of the vehicle should be illuminated in right corners and vice versa. The static bending activation signals will be send via LIN bus. The static bending ligh function is enabled only when the low beam function is switched on.

The cornering light is used to illuminate narrow corners, intersections or gateways the customer drives in rather slow speeds.

Headlamp Aiming

The LED headlamps use dynamic aiming. The advantage of the dynamic aiming is that it aims dependant to the situation rapidly.

The headlamp beam height will be dynamically adjusted according to vehicle load, speed, acceleration and braking data rapidly received from the ABS (anti-lock brake system) module, PCM (powertrain control module) and VDM (vehicle dynamics control module).

The front lighting uses a Headlamp Control Module to command the up/down aiming of the headlamps through the LIN to the headlamp assemblies. The headlamp assemblies contain a LED driver module that receive the messages through the LIN from the Headlamp Control Module.

Depending on the inputs received (steering wheel angle and vehicle speed for example), the Headlamp Control Module can command the height at which the headlamps are aimed (up or down) to improve nighttime visibility. Adaptive front lighting is only activated when the headlamp switch is in the AUTOLAMPS position.

Dynamic aiming with adaptive suspension:

The chassis sensors values are used for leveling calculation and read via HS-CAN bus by the headlamp control module. The output signal of the headlamp control module is a LIN message to the stepper motor.

Dynamic aiming without adaptive suspension:

The chassis sensors values are directly connected to the headlamp control module. The headlamp control module provides 5V constant voltage for sensor voltage supply and reads in analog voltages from the sensor. There is one sensor in the front suspension and one at the rear suspension. The output signal of the headlamp control module is a LIN message to the stepper motor.

Hi Hamster ...yes a vignale owner, i had just the edge titanium for 8 months , which it spent more time with the dealership than with me, had that many problems with it that the dealer i bought it off exchanged it for the vignale and gave me such a good deal i couldnt turn it down. 

my edge has the adaptive lighting also. something new to me. I'm sure its probably running right. I took time to understand how it works believing that I was getting flashed at too in the beginning. great system though. 

• 3 weeks later...

So with the Adaptive Lighting being intelligent it presumably also means "No Action" required when driving in Europe on the wrong side of the road.  

Think you find in the settings a right hand left hand option in the adaptive settings,  im assuming that is for driving in Europe, could be wrong though.

Am I not right in thinking that the LED headlights dip down rather than to the left like "regular" headlights.

On ‎31‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 8:18 AM, Paul W. H said:

Am I not right in thinking that the LED headlights dip down rather than to the left like "regular" headlights.

no idea!

You have a setting in the dash menu for driving in Europe. Has to be changed manually. 

12 hours ago, Brad8988 said:

You have a setting in the dash menu for driving in Europe. Has to be changed manually. 

I cannot find this setting, a clue please.

Go into main settings - vehicle- adaptive headlights- traffic setup- then  shows right hand left hand setting.

19 hours ago, bluepeter said:

Go into main settings - vehicle- adaptive headlights- traffic setup- then  shows right hand left hand setting.

Thank you for this I will give it a try when I get 5 minutes.

• 2 months later...

Been flashed again tonight by oncoming traffic so checked the traffic setup setting of my adaptive LED headlights. Mine has been set by the dealer at delivery to left hand traffic. I changed it to right hand traffic and noticed the lights dip more to the left (nearside)  and dip downwards slightly. This suggests it seems to be better for oncoming traffic and I wonder if its been set wrong from delivery. Trouble is there where I live is all street lights so very difficult to test light pattern when on main beam. Now I’m wondering if “Left hand traffic” means driving on the left or oncoming traffic on the left (eg driving on the right).. Can those with adaptive lights check and post thier headlight setting to try and clarify this please as manual is not clear

612F8B0C-862D-4DAA-B7CE-7AED16747FB9.jpeg

In the UK, the on-coming traffic is on the right (unless you are Ant McPartlin)

So its the top option.

H

On 06/04/2018 at 10:47 PM, GrumpyJohn said:

Been flashed again tonight by oncoming traffic so checked the traffic setup setting of my adaptive LED headlights. Mine has been set by the dealer at delivery to left hand traffic. I changed it to right hand traffic and noticed the lights dip more to the left (nearside)  and dip downwards slightly. This suggests it seems to be better for oncoming traffic and I wonder if its been set wrong from delivery. Trouble is there where I live is all street lights so very difficult to test light pattern when on main beam. Now I’m wondering if “Left hand traffic” means driving on the left or oncoming traffic on the left (eg driving on the right).. Can those with adaptive lights check and post thier headlight setting to try and clarify this please as manual is not clear

Mine is set up as 'left hand traffic' - which in my opinion is correct as we drive on the left.

Well it's not, we drive on the left, the oncoming 'traffic' is on the right.

H

• Confused 1

Seems like a daft way to phrase it tbh.  Does it mean the traffic you're in, or the traffic coming towards you?  Could be interpreted either way.

Park facing a wall with the lights on, and you should see a very noticeable flick up on one side.  This should be the left hand side in the UK.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/6/2018 at 10:47 PM, GrumpyJohn said:

612F8B0C-862D-4DAA-B7CE-7AED16747FB9.jpeg

So just to clarify should it be set to "Right hand traffic" or "Left hand traffic" for driving in the UK? Mine (dealer set) is currently on "Left hand traffic" as above

Left Hand Traffic

We are "left hand traffic" in the UK

• Thanks 1

mines dealer set at "left hand traffic"

Seems the left hand doesn’t know what the right hand is doing here.  Why doesn’t somebody just check the beam pattern against a wall with each of the left hand / right hand options and report back.  I would but I’ve got the cheap candles in mine, so can’t help. 

Not sure on the beam 'pattern' but when you select Right Hand it lowers the entire beam slightly

• 1 month later...

Anyone have a definitive answer on right or left hand traffic setting? Mine is set to right hand traffic. Interestingly in our 17 plate Kuga the setting is worded slightly differently. The setting is simply called traffic and the options simply state left or right. Surprise surprise it's set to left on the Kuga. I think I'm going to change the Edge to left hand as well.