Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Swapping out headlights

WickDom

Hey guys,

I’ve got a 2017 Edge ST-Line but as we know they come with halogen headlights as standard and at the time I balked at paying the extra, hindsight and all that.

Anyway I have now got a set of genuine LED Ford Edge headlight’s that have come from a write off, both headlights are immaculate, no damage at all, carvwas rear ended.

My question is, do I need to replace the wiring loom or can I straight swap? I’m not that clued up on things mechanical etc, will be getting a mechanic to carry out the work. Just wondered if anyone else had done it?

Cheers

Potentially very interesting. I thought of doing this. The headlamps will probably be a straight swap. The wiring multi-plugs might even plug straight in, but...................

Right now you have a manually adjusted headlamp beam to compensate for large loads. This is in the centre of the headlamp switch. So, that is going to be different. The adaptive LED headlamps have a very fine levelling adjustment which is controlled by numerous sensors.

Also, the're are many beam patterns, some of which are speed related.

Headlamp Aiming

The LED headlamps use dynamic aiming. The advantage of the dynamic aiming is that it aims dependant to the situation rapidly.

The headlamp beam height will be dynamically adjusted according to vehicle load, speed, acceleration and braking data rapidly received from the ABS (anti-lock brake system) module, PCM (powertrain control module) and VDM (vehicle dynamics control module).

The front lighting uses a Headlamp Control Module to command the up/down aiming of the headlamps through the LIN to the headlamp assemblies. The headlamp assemblies contain a LED driver module that receive the messages through the LIN from the Headlamp Control Module.

Depending on the inputs received (steering wheel angle and vehicle speed for example), the Headlamp Control Module can command the height at which the headlamps are aimed (up or down) to improve nighttime visibility. Adaptive front lighting is only activated when the headlamp switch is in the AUTOLAMPS position.

Dynamic aiming with adaptive suspension:

The chassis sensors values are used for leveling calculation and read via HS-CAN bus by the headlamp control module. The output signal of the headlamp control module is a LIN message to the stepper motor.

Dynamic aiming without adaptive suspension:

The chassis sensors values are directly connected to the headlamp control module. The headlamp control module provides 5V constant voltage for sensor voltage supply and reads in analog voltages from the sensor. There is one sensor in the front suspension and one at the rear suspension. The output signal of the headlamp control module is a LIN message to the stepper motor.

At the very least it will need to be connected to IDS for these things to be enabled if they are even fitted to a non-LED car.  It would be great if it works.

Give it a go and let us know.

If it works I would do it as well.

H

I would have thought that although they may fit, they will not operate other than as like for like items.  The electronics will not be programmed to carry out the features. They might work and be brighter than standard headlamps though.   Let us know. 

• 2 weeks later...

Any update on this, I’m looking to replace my halogens with LED’s ?

I think you will have a world of pain changing lights. It's the sensor and software side of things that is going to be the main issue. 

I would just chalk it up as a lesson when buying your next car. 

• Like 1

I think you will have a world of pain changing lights. It's the sensor and software side of things that is going to be the main issue. 

I would just chalk it up as a lesson when buying your next car. 
For me it is one of first priority upgrade headlights in a new car. As that directly affect your safety unlike body style or paint colour.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I'd be very surprised if this were possible (well I suppose anything is possible depending on how much  money and pain you want to go through). Even at first look you are going to  need a new lighting switch, a different headlamp ECU the auto high beam sensor, probably lots of wires and the ability to code various  of the car's other ECUs. I know from  other manufacturers the pain to swap to adaptive lights is usually simply  too great. It's not that they are LED that the main issue it's  all the different inputs that the adaptive lights take  from elsewhere.  They need to know speed, steering wheel position, wipers on/off, input from the front camera to sense oncoming or following vehicles etc etc...…. 

For interest I’ve just had a price on a new headlight for my Focus from Ford. Wait for it.... £1000

thars each- not a pair!!! 

On 9/11/2018 at 12:49 PM, NeilRS said:

For interest I’ve just had a price on a new headlight for my Focus from Ford. Wait for it.... £1000

thars each- not a pair!!! 

Try 999AutoParts !! 

Not sure what year your Focus is, but these are for 2014-2017 ... https://999autoparts.co.uk/index.php/2014-2017-headlights-c-612_697_4725_4726

• 6 months later...
On 1/14/2018 at 8:17 PM, WickDom said:

Hey guys,

I’ve got a 2017 Edge ST-Line but as we know they come with halogen headlights as standard and at the time I balked at paying the extra, hindsight and all that.

Anyway I have now got a set of genuine LED Ford Edge headlight’s that have come from a write off, both headlights are immaculate, no damage at all, carvwas rear ended.

My question is, do I need to replace the wiring loom or can I straight swap? I’m not that clued up on things mechanical etc, will be getting a mechanic to carry out the work. Just wondered if anyone else had done it?

Cheers

Did you swap out lights?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club