Do Not Sell My Personal Information

clutch slip

mrmetallica

im trying to sort out if my clutch needs changing or if it is something else.ive tried the pulling off in second gear and have no problem doing that so im wondering if its something else.

is it the clutch cable. could it be it needs oiling or adjusting ? could it be the fluid need changing ? info on how the focus clutch works would be welcome .

been qouted £440 is that a good price ? mk2 fl focus is the car.

Try going up a steep hill in a higher gear than normal and floor the throttle, if the engine speed goes up but your road speed doesn't, it new clutch time.

I payed my mate £250 for labour and £118 ish for a three piece clutch kit, can't remember what make it was but think it was a "LUK" kit I think, good quality aftermarket kit apparently.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I paid £480 at an independent 2 years ago so £440 sounds good to me.  Agree with @wilto for clutch test.  If you haven't got a hill, just do 30 mph on a flat rd in 5th and floor it. 

• Thanks 1

its a hydraulic clutch to answer your question, so no adjustment. 

• Thanks 1

in saying that, mine was slipping, it seems to have stopped now though, I'm hoping I can nurse her to later this year, I actually got the parts to do the DMF and clutch but its still about 300 for the labour, might just trade it in.

• Thanks 1

thanks every body for the answers.

it doesnt slip all the time just most of the time .so will have to get it sorted.

A good test for clutch slip in my experience with the car stationary is to select 2nd gear hand brake on and try to pull away quickly if the clutch slips its done.  I experienced clutch slip a few times in my focus over the summer but it hasn't slipped since. 

Question:  Where does everyone's clutch bite mine is quite high up the clutch pedal travel also the heaviness of the pedal varies as well which is strange sometimes heavy sometimes not so heavy

Ford Focus mk2 is notorious for its long clutch travel! Its fine an nothing to worry about.

I've experience a few 'slips' myself, maybe a couple of times within a week or two then nothing for months,
I think it was usually making a turn out of the street on a cold start.

I guess it could just be moisture or perhaps some oil on the pressure plates. its a little unnerving when you want to put the hammer down and she just spins up. just get off the gas ASAP then ease her back up. Heat is what destroys things, not so much the friction itself, spinning her up she causes a lot of heat which in turn wears the metal / friction plate

I had a spongy clutch couple of mth back. Did the tests with hills and rolling at 30 in 5th. Took a gamble and changed the clutch fluid and what came out was black. Since then the spongyness has gone and got a much former pedal. Doc you know when the fluid on urs was last changed. Not sayin that's the problem but gd to eliminate possible problems.  

• Like 1

sponginess and air in the clutch hydraulics would not cause it to slip. if it had any adverse effect it would be the opposite of slipping, it would fail to declutch properly and cause clutch drag.

anyway, when i test for slippage I usually do much the same as Wilto says near the start but also put my left foot on the brake a bit also, particularly if it's not much of a hill, but you need to be careful as it's hard to get the feel of the brake with your left foot and very easy to stab the brake too hard which won't be good if anyone behind you

9 hours ago, Dee_82 said:

Ford Focus mk2 is notorious for its long clutch travel! Its fine an nothing to worry about.

The MK2 petrols are WAAAAY high compared to the diesels, which are themselves a bit high compared to most other marques.

2 hours ago, Dave1981 said:

I had a spongy clutch couple of mth back. Did the tests with hills and rolling at 30 in 5th. Took a gamble and changed the clutch fluid and what came out was black. Since then the spongyness has gone and got a much former pedal. Doc you know when the fluid on urs was last changed. Not sayin that's the problem but gd to eliminate possible problems.  

on mine ? i dont think mine has been changed. i did ask ford to do it a couple of years ago when they did a service i know i bloke there and when he brought the car back he said they asked about brake fluid but i told them not to bother idiot.im meaning to do it soon using the gunson easi bleed system anything i should look out for ?

9 hours ago, mrmetallica said:

on mine ? i dont think mine has been changed. i did ask ford to do it a couple of years ago when they did a service i know i bloke there and when he brought the car back he said they asked about brake fluid but i told them not to bother idiot.im meaning to do it soon using the gunson easi bleed system anything i should look out for ?

Put some plusgas on the bleed nipples in the days before you do it.  Crack them open carefully so as not to snap them off.  Took me a little while and a bit of patience...used a 8 or 9mm spanner whilst gently tapping with hammer. Good luck!

When I did mine it was a plastic tap I turned not an actual bleed nipples. Like on the brakes. I'm not sayin its the cause of clutch slip I was simply pointing out I had a problem n a simple fix sorted it. 

not sure if i have abs but would it be a problem beleeding the brakes if i do

So long as you keep the reservoir topped up and don't allow air down into the ABS unit you will be fine :smile:

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Phil 3747 said:

So long as you keep the reservoir topped up and don't allow air down into the ABS unit you will be fine :smile:

thank you.will be using easibleed system

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club