Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2014 zetec s td.....noise

Wooders

Hi, I'm new to this forum, so forgive me if this has been done to death.

My 27k mile, 2014 Focus zetec s 1.6td estate (phew!) has started making a noise when accelerating in 2nd and 3rd, like someone has snuck in a straight cut box while I've been asleep. 

A bit of history, i got it for the wife,from motorpoint in 2014 with 4k on the clock, and always serviced etc. My car went on the blink, so traded it in, she got a bigger car for the kids and I got the focus as a daily. So she's getting driven ( the focus! 🙄) a bit more now, and maybe a bit more, spirited.....🤔 

oil level is higher than I'd like @ just over full, (when I do my own, i go for 80% to allow for a bit of diesel regen), so that's on my list of jobs this week.

Is this common ?

Worrying?

Or just turn the radio up 🙉

The older versions of your engine in the MK2 were prone to "topping" up the oil due to failed DPF regens but your car won't have the DV6 version of the engine and you'll also have the more robust cDPF.

Although it's natural to think it's the turbo, I'd expect it to do it in all gears when revved out.  When was the last time the oil was done (just thinking if it has been getting topped up with diesel recently then the sooner it gets changed along with the filter the better!)

• Like 1

The oil has been changed at yearly intervals (Don't know what mileage is recommended) , next dealer service is due in May, but worth £20 to drop the oil for peace of mind! 

Ps, any particular oil recommended for these engines? Or will any spec viscosity ,iso diesel dpf friendly oil do the job? 

6 hours ago, Wooders said:

Ps, any particular oil recommended for these engines? Or will any spec viscosity ,iso diesel dpf friendly oil do the job? 

The slightly weird thing with Ford and the 1.6 TDCi is that they don't bother recommending a low SAPS oil, where as Peugeot who largely designed this engine do recommend a low SAPS oil (like most manufacturers that have DPF equipped vehicles).

Hopefully 2-3 people on here that have been running this engine for a few years will be along to advise on their oil choice and if they've had any problems.

Edited by 1979Damian
Originally put 1.8 TDCi!
  • Like 1

Just checked the paperwork.

The 37.5k mile (?) service was carried out at 23k miles last may, so its only done under 5k miles since then! 

• 4 months later...

Just an update for anyone searching.

Gearbox bearings and 6th gear where shot, recon gearbox fitted , seemingly the boxes in these are weak.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club