Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine service diy 馃槵

Fordfootforward
聽Share

Evening chaps,

I鈥檓 hoping to do an engine spring clean this weekend, I would like to change the oil and oil filter and possibly flush the engine with some agent but I enevitabley have some questions to ask you pros...

1. What order do I do things? oil drain/filter/flush/refill with oil聽or another way round

2. Where is the oil filter located?聽

3. Best engine flushing agent

my car is a Focus mk2 2.0litre Petrol duratec

thanks for having a read I look forward to reading your responses 馃憤

add flush to engine first , run engine for 15mins , allow to cool for 10 mins , drain oil , remove old filter , fit new filter , refill oil.

many would advise not bothering with the flush on older cars , good quality fully synth oil will suffice on its own.

yeah, flushing an unknown car with lots of miles on it could make life a lot worse. if its been services to within an inch of its life, on time every time. then itll probably be fine. if in doubt, don't bother, or buy a 20L drum of oil and rise it out a couple of times after using the flush, drive it about a bit, then聽 add your good oil

• Like 1

Thank you biff55 and dee_83 for your replies... will perhaps leave the flush on your advice I only considered it because my mpg has dropped dramatically only returning 29mpg聽at the mo... it鈥檚 never been the most economic Car in聽the world but it certainly used to do better than that!聽

Many thoughts on where my oil filter might be ? Have tried looking but can only find Diesel engines showing where it is mine has a different engine layout to them!聽

Cheers

yeah, I don't know to be honest, I can find the 1.6 1.8 and 2l TDCIs聽 blindfolded, but petrols....no idea.

if your serious about doing work on your car one of the very first things id recommend is a Haynes manual, it will save you a fortune in the long run!

• Like 1

The filter is located on the front right hand side bottom of engine, it's the white one in photo

1516435830470.jpg
  • Like 1

That鈥檚 brilliant, thank you wilto 馃憤聽

will definitely purchase a Haynes manual dee_82聽聽strange that with all the technology a book is the best source of info..聽

Thanks for all your help will have a go and report back

I always err on the side of caution when someone mentions wanting an oil change done with an oil flush additive. I think for some they have seen it in Halfords or heard of it and think it must be great stuff.

My personal opinion is,聽on a well聽serviced vehicle using quality modern oil, I don鈥檛 see a need for it.

on some vehicles with a wet belt it鈥檚 a big no no to add flushing additives.

• Like 2

I've got same Engine as you, bottom of engine just off centre right hand side if your at the front of the engine for the filter.. I always use genuine Ford filters as only 拢10 and use gd quality oil. Castrol or Petronas is what I use. Don't do engine flush personally as other ppl have said can cause more harm than gd if not careful. Easy engine to work on though, Ford have done a gd job with the layout.聽

Thank you all for the advice.. i鈥檝e聽never heard of an engine flush being bad news so it鈥檚 fantastic to know that you all think the same and to avoid it at all costs, i鈥檝e owned the car from new and it has always been serviced every year but with it now reaching the 10year mark and being told the gearbox is Giving up slowly I figured I might as well do it myself knowing that I will never sell it but may just end up on scrap heap or broken for parts!

聽never met anyone with the same engine as me dave1981 what sort of mpg do you get from it? I do love it as an engine,聽on the motorway.. if I鈥檓聽sat in 5th at 70ish and want to put my foot down it doesn鈥檛 half move without having to change down a gear.. sometimes leaving big cars like bmw,Mercedes in its wake!聽

10 minutes ago, Fordfootforward said:

Thank you all for the advice.. i鈥檝e聽never heard of an engine flush being bad news so it鈥檚 fantastic to know that you all think the same and to avoid it at all costs, i鈥檝e owned the car from new and it has always been serviced every year but with it now reaching the 10year mark and being told the gearbox is Giving up slowly I figured I might as well do it myself knowing that I will never sell it but may just end up on scrap heap or broken for parts!

聽never met anyone with the same engine as me dave1981 what sort of mpg do you get from it? I do love it as an engine,聽on the motorway.. if I鈥檓聽sat in 5th at 70ish and want to put my foot down it doesn鈥檛 half move without having to change down a gear.. sometimes leaving big cars like bmw,Mercedes in its wake!聽

glad to hear there are still some out there who look after their 'older' motors. It's just all pcp nowadays lol.聽

• Like 2

8 hours ago, stef123 said:

I always err on the side of caution when someone mentions wanting an oil change done with an oil flush additive. I think for some they have seen it in Halfords or heard of it and think it must be great stuff.

I done an oil flush on mine back last September on my annual oil change, I done it to try and cure or lessen the oil loss problem ( sticky oil control rings) on my 1.8 Duratec, I used Fort茅 engine flush. Couldn't confirm or trust the stamps I had in my service book, as when I bought it I phoned one of the dealer's that had a stamp in it, and they said they've never had that car in their workshop.

I done a full service when I got the car on 82000 in September 2015, and a full service 1 year later on 92000 and then the engine flush with oil change last September on 102550. I can't say 100% if it's done any good or any harm to be honest, I'm just trying to get the engine as clean and un- gummed up as possible, as I'm planning on keeping the car for another 7 years or 70000 miles if possible.聽

That's what I do with cars, I like to keep them on the road for as long as possible, that way whatever I spend on it, I will get the benefit.

• Like 3

2010 mk2.5 titanium, not seen another 2.0 petrol titanium either, just see lots of 1.6 and tdci ones. Round town its shocking. Mid 20s but get it onto a motorway for a gd run and I'm into mid 40s so can't complain. Mines done 57k and had a terraclean at 49k which helped mpg and performance. Part from iridium spark plugs it's stock. Just gd fuel, cleaned the throttle body and did my gearbox oil few mth back as it was bit reluctant to go into gear when cold. Fixed it nicely.聽

• Like 1

found an old tin of it in my garage , figured out its been kicking about in my garage for around 15 yrs. lol

20180120_204504.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Keep it for David Dickinson's real deal, you'll get 拢40 at least at auction 馃槀馃槀馃槀馃槀

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Dave1981 said:

2010 mk2.5 titanium, not seen another 2.0 petrol titanium either, just see lots of 1.6 and tdci ones. Round town its shocking. Mid 20s but get it onto a motorway for a gd run and I'm into mid 40s so can't complain. Mines done 57k and had a terraclean at 49k which helped mpg and performance. Part from iridium spark plugs it's stock. Just gd fuel, cleaned the throttle body and did my gearbox oil few mth back as it was bit reluctant to go into gear when cold. Fixed it nicely.聽

Teraclean is next on my wish list, I'm starting to get really OCD about my mpg at the moment, I'm constantly thinking what I can do to improve it, Hego lambda sensor, Teraclean, iridium plugs, I even panic when I do the weekly shopping run 馃槺

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, wilto said:

Keep it for David Dickinson's real deal, you'll get 拢40 at least at auction 馃槀馃槀馃槀馃槀

ive googled it for images and none show the same design, must be an old tin. lol

I've never seen that tin before Ian lol. I've got one sitting that must be 10 years old now but its just the bog standard purple tin.聽

I see you are also a Wurth fan too haha.

The only thing with driving economically with that engine is you can trigger the engine light to come on... which Happened to me聽last week(not for the first time) bought an obd reader and plugged it in... fault code was p0400 which 聽I have had before... its an egr聽malfunction Caused by a clog up of carbon in the valve a simple cure is to get the car up to temperature let idle for a few minutes and then give it a couple of high revs to the red bars and until the arrrow light comes on, it will kick a load of cr*p out of the exhaust. Then erase the engine code and it鈥檚 as good as new.. I know this from taking it to a mate of mine who鈥檚 big into his cars and runs a garage he did the聽exact same thing for me in April聽last year and it didn鈥檛 come on again until now.. which I鈥檓 happy about

Hope this helps someone out if they ever have this problem聽

I used to nab wurth聽 products from the workshop in work, i think the MD realized how much it was costing him, we now have "inferior" alternatives in the stores.

• Haha 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club