Do Not Sell My Personal Information

17S09 Recall For 1.6L GTDI Cooling system

Arwen

Hey folks. Just had my oil and filter change plus MOT done by Arnold Clark today ( I know... It's my last "free" one with them) and they have noticed there is a recall for my car. Apparently it is not urgent but it does need doing and I am now booked in for it on the 5th Feb. 

Recall code is "17S09 Recall For 1.6L GTDI Cooling system" https://ford.oemdtc.com/2754/17s09-coolant-level-sensor-system-installation-2013-2015-ford

The only info I can find on this online is all American. However it seems the risk is the engine can go on fire, which I find a bit weird to be classed as "not urgent". So, is this a thing for this country? Anyone had it done? I've done a search of the forum, but it came back with nothing...

At last Ford have recognised that they can and will install an early warning for these cars. I find it amazing that there is not a coolant level sensor on these  ( or many other Ford cars for that matter )! Most other manufacturers, certainly VAG group cars have had coolant sensors fitted to there cars for decades and must surely of saved thousands of engines. Be very interested in seeing what Ford do to your car next month Arwen as I would expect to see  a revised and stronger expansion tank and some sort of warning within the dash upon start up to comfirm that everything is healthy.

Just had a look on Etis and our car is also listed as needing the recall. Will give them a call next week and see what they have to say for themselves.

Etis is playing up for my right now... not sure why and I can't be bothered to try and fix it right now.

Apparently it is whole new parts of wiring loom, sensor and various other bits and bobs. They reckons it's 8hrs worth of work, so they may have it over two days. Free courtesy car however so not too much hassle. 

I'm going to take pictures of the engine bay before I give them it, so can maybe compare afterwords :-)

Hi all   I've just checked my car and it's due the mod as well, I've booked it in and the guy on reception said he's only just here of it and it's a 10 hour job they want my car for two days so they can see what's involved as my car is their first one.

its not a 10 hr job, and your dealer should be well aware whats involved. there are clear instructions.

Can anyone tell me what exactly is fitted ? eg new expansion bottle and degas pipe

The following parts are installed/replaced during the recall:

New coolant reservoir.
New coolant reservoir cap.
New thermostat.
New coolant bypass valve.
New coolant standpipe with coolant level sensor.
New wiring harness between the coolant level sensor and the EPAS module.
Modification of the battery tray (needed for the new wiring harness).
New, modified coolant hoses (the new hoses have a completely different routing and design than the old ones).
Mounting hardware (Bolts, screws, clips, etc. ).
Reprogramming of the IPC (instrument cluster) with new software.
Reprogramming of the PCM with new software (any remap will be lost).
Filling and bleeding of the coolant system.

The full description of this recall (which is applicable on all Ford models with the 1.6 ECOboost) is 56 pages long. 

😳 That is quite a list of parts that need to be fitted! I am guessing that inside the car there are no visable changes just  a warning that would come up on the dash ‘if’ the car’s coolant dropped below the sensor. Has anyone got any pictures of the changes to the engine bay highlighting the various changes? Haven’t got around to phoning my local Ford dealer yet and to be honest I’m not sure that I want my car to be there first to have the work done as I am sure they will find a way to improve the install given a bit of time.

Given that I have already replaced a failed ( but caught in time ) degas hose, found micro cracks in the expansion bottle and rad cap does anyone think that I am I entitled to a refund?

I understood that some of the parts are currently out of stock and some software is not yet available so I guess that at this moment the recall procedure is only performed on very few cars. 

All (known) owners of affected vehicles will receive a letter from Ford. After making an appointment the particular Ford dealer can order all of the parts needed to perform the recall. 

Considering the large amount of vehicles involved in this recall wordlwide I guess that it may take quite some time before the recall is performed on all affected vehicles 

Had my recall work done yesterday - list below is the work completed which is the same as in another post.

New coolant reservoir.
New coolant reservoir cap.
New thermostat.
New coolant bypass valve.
New coolant standpipe with coolant level sensor.
New wiring harness between the coolant level sensor and the EPAS module.
Modification of the battery tray (needed for the new wiring harness).
New, modified coolant hoses (the new hoses have a completely different routing and design than the old ones).
Mounting hardware (Bolts, screws, clips, etc. ).
Reprogramming of the IPC (instrument cluster) with new software.
Reprogramming of the PCM with new software (any remap will be lost).
Filling and bleeding of the coolant system.

The work took 10 hours, but the dealership told me I was the first one in for the recall and wanted longer to do the work. They said now they have done one, they can get the time down.

Interestingly they said Ford advised 10 bleeds in total for the cooling system. Whether that is Ford being over cautious or it actually took 10 bleeds to finalise it is up for debate.

Would be interested to hear how others get on.

Agree that a coolant sensor fit from the outset would have been sensible.

No issues noticed today - the dealer said to keep an eye on the coolant level.

They also advised there is a further PCM upgrade due for my car in a few weeks. This might be sorted within the recall work soon though.

Also noticed the cabin gets warmer much more quickly, so the heating system has benefited on mine.

• Like 1

Further pcm upgrade? More like they haven't done the existing one yet.

Apparently the further PCM upgrade has not been finalised but agree maybe not done! 

Letters will start going out in April when all PCM's will be ready.

Some pics of the upgrade work below for anyone interested.

IMG_0458.jpg

IMG_0459.jpg

Thanks for the additional information Andy. Where is the electrical plug that has been added to monitor the coolant level placed? Do you know whether the wiring to the EPAS is cut and intercepted to allow the coolant signals to be introduced to the loom? If so I would expect it to be a matter of time before there are possible problems in that area as it would be very hard to make a weather proof connection to an existing loom.

I notice that the newer expansion cap is a newer style,similar to that fitted to my Transit Custom,what’s the difference I wonder!

Given that a new thermostat is fitted is the engine running temperature reduced to help reduce pressure within the system or is it just another ‘moving part’ that is replaced to eliminate potential further overheating problems. 

Have you noticed any additional information in the dash upon start up?

I rang my local Ford dealer ( who are a very small family run business ) a couple of days ago and they were completely unaware of the recall but are now sourcing the parts needed for me and will be In touch in due course. Decided to get it done ASAP in the end as it is mainly my wife who drives the car and don’t want the thing springing a leak and blowing up😳.

I still think that given I have paid for ( and fitted myself to save money ) a new expansion tank,new expansion cap and modified degas hose I should be reimbursed as these will no doubt end up in the bin!

There's a problem with existing pcm update , and can't be done at the moment. That's why. Hasn't been all week .

I would be seriously concerned if the wiring loom was intercepted - the explanation I had was it was a complete new wiring loom.

No additional power up lights noticed - although if there is a sensor fitted (at last) then I would like to know how it alerts.

My dealer advised that once its really out in the public arena, parts will be more difficult to get hold of quickly, so getting the job done sooner rather than later might be best.

I think just keeping a close eye on the coolant level until the recall is done is the best course of action if anyone has concerns. If it drops then pressure is gone and that's when the engine can blow.

Not sure on other technical queries sorry.

• Like 1

Cheers Andy. Yes I’m inclined to agree with you re having the work done ASAP. Will update this thread when work has been completed.👍

Hi Phil - yes would be interested to hear how it goes with yours. Cheers.

Thanks for all the info on this guys. I'm going to phone my local Ford dealer and talk to them about it. After seeing the list of parts I'm not really feeling comfortable letting AC do this type of recall on my car…

I took mine in yesterday -  the work took 8 hours to complete. The PCM upgrade wasn't available so I have been told to take it back in next week.

They said they will need the car for a further 2 hours to perform the upgrade. 

My ecoboost is in on the 21st Feb for the recall, is the recall the cause of the coolant leak? 

Mine was booked in on Saturday ready for tomorrow - just popped in to check if the parts have come in (as requested) and I've been turned away due to lack of parts. - given the number of recalls regarding this issue, im not surprised so will wait for when they can get me in.

However, it was confusing that even though my car was booked in, the paper work and work schedule in her hands I was told that I shouldn't come in or have a booking until I've had my letter, despite this same Ford telling me on Saturday in person mine was one of those effected... "How did you find out??" ...completely by chance, I came in looking for some body clips and to see if there was any software updates available, your colleague told me and booked me in at the same time. "oh, ok well once the parts are in we will call you" and told me not to wait for the letter (which I assume has gone to its original owner).

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club