Do Not Sell My Personal Information

17S09 Recall For 1.6L GTDI Cooling system

Arwen

I have a 14 plate Focus 1.6 eco boost currently having problems with coolant sensor bypass valve, car in garage for 3rd time in 3 weeks. My car is not showing as a recall on Ford Etis but dealership think it should be recalled but Ford cannot say as recalls on hold. Ford customer service are no use told dealer to contact warranty and policy.The coolant bypass valve is a part replaced in recall and I understand a coolant sensor is to be retro fitted. Dealer can not establish if coolant sensor bypass valve has been modified. They put a donor part on car to try and see us through until recalls restarted but lasted just over a week and car back in dealership today. The problem with the car is erratic revs only when warm, power loss resulting in car cutting out, stop/start Amber light comes on and will not go off and message Engine Malfunction service Now. I previously owned a 2013 Focus with the same engine and when I check this reg my old car is part of recall on Etis. Does anybody know if the 1.6 eco boost engine is different in a car registered March 2013 and March 2014. Any advice suggestions welcome as getting onto Ford Customer services again on Monday. Also I assume that the engine has a risk of coolant level dropping hence the need for a coolant sensor as a safety measure. Does anybody know why there is a risk of coolant level dropping in the 1.6 eco boost in the first place? I understand the 1 litre eco boost has coolant problems due to a faulty degas pipe.

The only reason for the recall of the 1.6 ECOboost is safety. If the engine runs hot as a result of coolant loss the cilinder head can crack. This crack causes the engine oil to leak onto the hot exhaust. This can set the car on fire.

There is no technical reason for the recall. 

The problems with the degas hose on the 1.0 ECOboost were solved a long time ago. Only a limited number of vehicles were affected and these vehicles were recalled. The degas hose problem also applied to early versions (2011/2012) of the 1.6 ECOboost. However Ford never recognised this problem on the 1.6 ECOboost and never recalled the 1.6 ECOboost for the degas hose problem until now.

During its live cycle Ford performed many technical changes to the 1.6 ECOboost. For example at some point even the complete cilinder head design was changed. As a result of this there are several different versions of the 1.6 ECOboost. Late versions of the 1.6 ECOboost do already have the latest parts. On these vehicles these particualr parts are not changed during the recall.

• Like 1

Have at last managed to find a Ford dealer who is able to book our car in and carry out this recall work.I first tried a main dealer ( Hendy Ford ) who are circa 15 mins from home but was told they cannot carry out the work for 6-8 weeks due to a parts shortage and s/w updates etc. Got fed up with being fobbed off and even though we currently have no coolant loss issues, and my wife drives the car way more than me and not wanting the car to suddenly develop a problem and self destruct in the mean time I tried Birchwood Ford who said they could carry out the work for us on Thursday.

As I have changed the degas hose and coolant tank & cap myself in the past due to coolant loss I am going to ask them to return those and all removed parts to me when the work has been completed.

Will let you all know how it goes.

If you want the parts you already changed back you have to supply the original parts to Ford. The Ford dealer needs to have all of the old parts because Ford can ask for the old parts. 

The old design degas hose is useless anyway. This part is no longer used and is superseded by the new hose assembly from the recall kit.

• Like 1

Hello, I'm a new forum member,

As a Focus 1.6 Ecoboost owner, I was interested in this thread, and finally decided to sign in.

Recently, I heard about the safety recall, and I am still not decided if if will have the car "fixed". Here's why.
When I bought the car last year (the car is from 04/2012), I had the degas hose changed, as well as the coolant tank, because I already knew about the
coolant leak problem. After that, I had my car remapped. Touch wood: since then, I had no single problem, very happy with the car :)

Fast forward one year, and I hear about this recall campaign... Heck! I read that the ECU needs to be updated, and that all remap will be lost. So I gave the company that did the remap a call, 
and, they explained that they need to do a full remap, based on the new software. And of course, I need to pay the full price again. Bummer.

So now, I'm not sure: do I really need to get the car fixed, if I already replaced what seemed to be the potential problem (return hose and cracking coolant vase)?
I understand that the fix would bring a coolant low level monitor, which would save my engine IF there was a leak. But as the main reason for the leak has been fixed, there shouldn't be another leak, right? Also, I check my coolant levels regularly.
I would really like to hear your thoughts on the topic. 

Thanks in advance, 

Jean

in my opinion rejecting the recall is a very bad idea. As already said the recall is performed because of safety reasons and not because of technical reasons. Rejecting a safety recall will definetely void the insurance. In case of an incident that could have been avoided by performing the recall the insurance company will not pay a single penny. If someone gets injured (or worse) because of such a decision you can be hold fully responsible.

The degas hose was only a problem on early veicles that had a vulcanised rubber/plastic degas hose. The later (full rubber) design of the degas hose did not have any known problems. The coolant reservoir however is known to develop (micro)cracks as a result of the relative high coolant temperature. As a precaution the reservoir needs to be visually inspected periodically and replaced if (micro)cracks are present. 

However this does not solve all problems. The 1.0 and 1.6 ECOboost engines have a pretty high coolant and engine temperature. In case of a coolant leak these ECOboost engines will run hot in seconds. When loosing coolant the coolant temperature sensor measures air. Because of this there will not be an engine temperature warning message. In such a situation engine damage (and possibly fire) will occur very fast without a single indication. 

• Like 2

Well surprise surprise,got a phone call today from Birchwood Ford and they have had to cancel the recall work as they are short of parts!! It was a voicemail message so not sure which parts are unavailable but will wait to hear from them In due course 😕

I received the recall letter in March and my 2012 model 1.6 182ps Ecoboost was consequently booked in at a Ford dealer for a 2 day period. 24 hours before the booking date (last week) I was told that the dealership garage didn't have the software but would like to examine the car anyway. The car was in the Ford workshop for around 15 minutes and the outcome was "there is no leak" and hence no imminent danger. I'm now waiting another two weeks (expectedly) for the relevant parts & software to be available at which point I will need to book it in again for 2 days. I'm presuming by taking it in and following procedures the insurance will not be voided in any way. As it is I have driven this car for over 4 years and 65k miles without a hitch - it is a brilliant car and I hope that Ford are just being super cautious because of one or two isolated incidents.

Interestingly another person I know with a 2014 C-Max and exactly the same engine spec' as mine, hasn't had any letter is apparently not on the recall list (according to Ford).

On 3/31/2018 at 11:30 PM, cornershop said:

Thanks for this James, sounds very similar.

I thought the thermostat was part of the change, maybe not.

Its booked in for a few weeks time - checking level weekly, it doesn’t appear to get lower than a 3/4 - 1” below Minimum.

Guildford Ford couldn’t tell me how low the coolant would have to go for me to be alerted on the dash.

The Mrs noticed a wet footwell carpet - checking further, its soaked in coolant, so assuming a heater matrix related issue.

Going back to Ford on Monday - hopefully covered under our warranty.

So finally my local (65km) Ford dealership phoned me back.. actually they phoned me back a couple of times during this 'waiting' period.

Initially they said "They didn't have the tools required to do the job" and back that up with the fact that the 182PS 1.6 Eco boost isn't available in the Republic of Ireland. To which I replied "Special tools? What are they then?" and surely if you work on 1.0 Eco boost's then changing a header tank on a 1.6 is a similar process? Eventually I got a date (last Thursday 12th) and I had a phone call on Monday (16th) saying the work was completed.

Upon collecting my vehicle I inquired why I had no read out of the coolant level on the dash. I presumed because of the PCM update I would at least get some kind of reading (even if it was in 'Test' mode) but they replied not. So I just want to confirm with you guys that this is correct?

Here's a photo or two of my header tank. I presume that is also correct? I just want to check with you guys (an independent source) Thanks.

IMG_20180420_102721.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Only just got my new to me focus 1.6 ecoboost on a 2011 plate, so should i wait for a letter from ford, or should i get her booked in now? it is showing as part of the recall on the ford etis site.

I took my car in yesterday for the Pcm update, not sure how long it took but I dropped the car off at 8am and it was ready to collect at 3pm. Glad its finally done. 

I didnt get a letter notifying me of the recall - it probably went to the former owner so i’d just get it booked in. I only found out when taking the car in for its service earlier this year that it had been recalled. 

Got mine booked in for Monday of next week, will let you all know how it gets on.

i got the letter a few weeks back but being busy with work ive only just rang up to get it done.

Its booked in next wednesday to get looked at.  The woman in service said at first itll go in for a check.   See what they need to do.  Then theyll book it in again to be kept for 2 days to get the work done.

some questions for you guys n gals.   

it has a remap.  im not bothered if i lose this as i was thinking of getting it taken off anyway.  but will ford decide not to repair because ive modified my car.

the last service that was done was by me.  not hard to do snd id rather know it done properly.  so will ford say, no full service history no repair??

cheers 

Well guys, car has been in the shop for just over a day, when leaving the house yesterday morning, i saw a few drops of oil on the road where i park it so rang the garage to ask them to check it over for an oil leak, as i am not the only who parks outside my house,(which is something that really p's me off) turns out its got a cracked head, but is covered by the recall so thats a plus, just waiting now for them to get a new one in stock for me, stay tuned to see how it all goes.

I have just experienced the sudden loss of cooling fluid, resulting in engine overheating and now I need a new engine and turbo charger. There was no warnings or high temperature indikation before the engine failed.

The car received the 120.000 km service just the day before, but the 17S09 recall was not done due to "parts not available from Ford". The recall is listed in Ford ETIS, but I have never received any information from Ford.

Now a face a bill of DKK 100.000 (GBP 12.700) for replacing engine and turbo charger and Ford Denmark will not pay anything, despite the engine crash is a direct result of 17S09 being carried out. The 17S09 includes installation of coolant fluid level sensor, that for strange reason in not a standard equipment in this car.

My car can warn me about sprinkler fluid being low, but gives no warning of lack of cooling fluid that results in damaged engine.

This is my third Ford since 1984, but I doubt I will ever buy Ford again after this.

Check your cars in Ford ETIS and if 17S09 is listed, make the dealer perform the fix ASAP !

Christ you could get a brand new car for that...

If you have tried to comply with the recall but have been turned away, then Ford are still responsible for repairing the damage caused by the recall failure.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Phil21185 said:

Christ you could get a brand new car for that...

If you have tried to comply with the recall but have been turned away, then Ford are still responsible for repairing the damage caused by the recall failure.

Or they would be in the UK at least. (Tw*ts) :wallbash:

booked into Trust Ford St Helens for safety recall (17S09) three months ago, called in on three occasions, nothing happening, anybody had the same problems.

lost at what to do, give it a couple of weeks and then get on to trading standards unless its normal to wait so long.

cheers A Whittle

Been waiting three months for my recall to be sorted, Trustford  St Helens don't seem bothered, called in three times, different reason given each time.

Emailed Fords, they said keep in touch with Trustford. let them know how I am getting on.

I just purchased a used Focus 1.6 EcoBoost. The previous owner told me that the dealer had performed the hardware changes but not the software update as it wasn't available yet. They have received it now and I need to get the car to them next week. Does anyone know what exactly the software update does? I'll ask them when I go there but I don't thinkk they'll be able to explain..

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

The following modules need to be updated:

* PCM (Powertrain Control Module = ECU).
* BCM (Body Control Module = fuse box).
* IPC (Instrument Cluster).

The software updates are needed for the low coolant warning system. The coolant level sensor harness is connected to PSCM (Power Steering Control Module = Steering rack). This way the sensor is connected to the HS (High Speed) CANbus network. The sensor data is communicated to all modules that are connected to the HS CANbus network and processed by the BCM and the PCM. The BCM is basically the gateway between the coolant level sensor that is connected to the HS CANbus network and the IPC that is connected to the MS (Mid Speed) CANbus network. The BCM converts the High Speed coolant level sensor to a Low Speed signal and communicates the signal to the IPC.

If the coolant level is low the coolant level sensor communicates this to all other CANbus modules. Based on this data the PCM reduces the engine power (limp mode) and the IPC displays a low coolant warning message on the screen.

Without the correct software the low coolant warning system will not work correctly or it will not work at all.

• Like 1

Quick up date, still waiting for the head to come in, just as well i have a second car i can use.

• 2 weeks later...

As I said in my April 6 post the mod was carried out and car is running fine. To-day the dealer connected car to check for the software download

and there is still nothing available for my 2011 C-Max.

This seems a very long time and still no updated software, whilst the cooling system is working fine there will be no alarm notification if a problem

arises. Anyone got the update yet, bearing in mind that my car is 2011 and I thought I read that early models required different software update.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club