Do Not Sell My Personal Information

17S09 Recall For 1.6L GTDI Cooling system

Arwen

Thanks guys. I gave the part numbers to the garage and they ordered those yesterday so should be getting it back today. The mechanic was happy with replacement parts.

• 1 month later...

Just a side note on the heater matrix as I saw it while looking over the cooling system recall.

I bought a 2011+  Focus Titanium 1.6 Ecoboost privately and within a day or two I noticed the fan whirring away. I stopped up the coolant as it was dangerously low so put it down to a fair bit of driving. After a few days it was low again. Topped it up. Same again a few days later.

Fast forward three weeks thinking "I'm going to need to get this fixed" when driving to work the heater matrix pipe failed and blew the pipe off. The coolant was emptied into the car at a terrifying rate and it fried the BCU that lives at the back next to the heater matrix. I was stuck in the middle of nowhere with the smell of burning electrics and hot coolant when I should have been DJing in a club.

The garage that took the car (local guys, did many MOTs) called me up a few days and said it was at too much of an angle for them to get to. Come and pick it up. I booked it into another garage 40 miles away ( I lived remotely) and they said the other garage had chewed up the heather matrix joining pipes where the O-rings went and it needed a new matrix. They showed me the photos and the previous garage had butchered the pipes.

The new matrix that came was a different type to the one that was the official part (probably due to Ford using older parts when they updated) so a clamped tight hose is now in place  It doesn't look pretty but it is not going anywhere and you can't see it. 

It's a massive job to change. Total cost for new BCU, matrix and fitting was about £1200. Ouch.

Had I known the O-rings was a fix that could be done by a Ford garage I'd have done that earlier.

Lesson. Don't leave the matrix to leak. It can cost a lot (and the smell of coolant still lingers 3 years later!).

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Sorry to bump this one.

ETIS has informed me that both my Galaxy and Mondeo are now recalled for this mod (Yep they did a Galaxy with a 1.6 Ecoboost).

Now on the Mondeo which has much higher mileage I have had 2 hoses take a dump on me in quick succession. This was before the recall was on the system so I had them both replaced. So, can anyone tell me which part numbers are replaced? Specifically I have had the following - 1711960 which is the overflow hose that I think runs along the back of the engine - that split in 2 places and needed diagnosing. The second is 1726266 which runs from the expansion tank down past the engine mount and then turns through 90 degrees in a metal part and then tracks along the front of the engine - that one I could see gushing out.

I have had coolant issues with the Galaxy too - just need to dig the invoice out to see what was what. On the Mondeo alone I'm £350 down which I am a little miffed about now!

Cheers

My ford mondeo 1.6 ecoboost is in due to the recall it has been in ford since last Thursday morning and they stilll haven’t finished it they have told me there having issues with the software and struggling to get it on my car they have done all the work but can’t get it to upload has anyone else had this problem they have spent nearly 3 days on it now still not looking good I was told was a full days work 

• Sad 1

Update ford just rang me they are waiting for software for it to be done they have just told me the car won’t be released until it’s been done as it’s a safety issue and they don’t know how long it’s gonna be absolutely fuming gone from a days work to 3 days to I don’t know when it will be done 🤬🤬🤬 not happy 

On 7/4/2019 at 2:03 PM, Pokelet said:

Sorry to bump this one.

ETIS has informed me that both my Galaxy and Mondeo are now recalled for this mod (Yep they did a Galaxy with a 1.6 Ecoboost).

Now on the Mondeo which has much higher mileage I have had 2 hoses take a dump on me in quick succession. This was before the recall was on the system so I had them both replaced. So, can anyone tell me which part numbers are replaced? Specifically I have had the following - 1711960 which is the overflow hose that I think runs along the back of the engine - that split in 2 places and needed diagnosing. The second is 1726266 which runs from the expansion tank down past the engine mount and then turns through 90 degrees in a metal part and then tracks along the front of the engine - that one I could see gushing out.

I have had coolant issues with the Galaxy too - just need to dig the invoice out to see what was what. On the Mondeo alone I'm £350 down which I am a little miffed about now!

Cheers

If it’s same mondeo as mine with the 1.6 ecoboost 2011 model  don’t take it in yet they don’t have the correct software for them yet and are waiting on ford technicians to sort the software mine has a unknown repair date now due to this and they are taking the courtesy car of me Thursday so no car till it’s repaired 

On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 12:07 PM, Ubetcha said:

Here's a photo or two of my header tank. I presume that is also correct? I just want to check with you guys (an independent source) Thanks.

IMG_20180420_102721.jpg

941411964_degasbit.thumb.JPG.7a7c086ab4cd797a20329005e861bbe1.JPG

so is this late 2014 up to date?

bottle (Medium).jpeg

On 7/8/2019 at 7:03 PM, Marktimmins said:

If it’s same mondeo as mine with the 1.6 ecoboost 2011 model  don’t take it in yet they don’t have the correct software for them yet and are waiting on ford technicians to sort the software mine has a unknown repair date now due to this and they are taking the courtesy car of me Thursday so no car till it’s repaired 

Yep it'll be the same. I've got an 11 plate Tit-X 1.6 Ecoboost. It reached 90k miles and stuff started going wrong! I'm just trying to work out of the hoses I have had replaced before the recall are going to be replaced again, if so it'll be a letter to Ford to try and reclaim some cash!! I've also got a Galaxy with the same engine same age

I've got them both booked in for a week in August where they can give me a courtesy car for a week. I got the impression they aren't looking forward to the job!

What problems have you had mines got 69k not had any issues so far till this recall I would make sure they have the correct parts/software before they start as I’m stuck with no car from Thursday it’s still there no calls from them yet 

1 hour ago, Pokelet said:

Yep it'll be the same. I've got an 11 plate Tit-X 1.6 Ecoboost. It reached 90k miles and stuff started going wrong! I'm just trying to work out of the hoses I have had replaced before the recall are going to be replaced again, if so it'll be a letter to Ford to try and reclaim some cash!! I've also got a Galaxy with the same engine same age

I've got them both booked in for a week in August where they can give me a courtesy car for a week. I got the impression they aren't looking forward to the job!

2 hours ago, Marktimmins said:

What problems have you had mines got 69k not had any issues so far till this recall I would make sure they have the correct parts/software before they start as I’m stuck with no car from Thursday it’s still there no calls from them yet 

Problems (touch wood) remarkably few on the Mondeo, it's on 96kmiles. The overflow pipe that runs from the NS of the engine, across the top of the rad to the header tank split where it meets the engine, then there is a 1/4 inch pipe from the front of the header that runs to a 90degree metal bend, that rotted. Did the Clutch and Dual Mass last month and a new battery. Flown through every MOT. Oh, needed a wheel bearing on the back not long after I bought it - crap tyres, it's an estate and I am told they can suffer with inconsistent wear, got that done on warranty.

The Galaxy on 76k was a bit of a rush purchase (child 3 was imminent) so it was the best for the cash I had, it had had a hard life before me!! That needed a driveshaft boot last MOT. Also had a coolant issue but possibly due to a bodged ECU fix before I owned it, it's been bodged again and now the fan kicks in when it gets to temp. I'll try and look at that over the summer as it runs constantly, it's also only last week had the Aircon condenser take a dump I thought it was coolant recall related, Ford said no (local and family owned so I trust them more) and I've got it booked to a local place tomorrow as Ford parts are silly money. The only other thing has been the NS rear door lock mechanism fail, got a spare off eBay and fitted that in about an hour.

I've had the Mondeo for 5 years and put 50k on it, 30k was in the first 2 years! Galaxy for just over 18 month's, not my favourite as it's a Zetec spec (Mondeo is a Titanium X) but great do drive and can easily turn into a van for an IKEA trip. It is fun watching the boys racers jaws drop when a Bus does them off the line though.

• Like 1

Thanks for the information glad it’s been alright had mine a year mine is the saloon  I have only replaced the battery. and all the  coolant hoses have just been done at ford still nothing about when I’m getting it back waiting on ford uk to contact me now to find out about this software issue and what kind of time scale I’m looking at 

9 hours ago, Pokelet said:

It is fun watching the boys racers jaws drop when a Bus does them off the line though.

Good man! 😁

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Marktimmins said:

Thanks for the information glad it’s been alright had mine a year mine is the saloon  I have only replaced the battery. and all the  coolant hoses have just been done at ford still nothing about when I’m getting it back waiting on ford uk to contact me now to find out about this software issue and what kind of time scale I’m looking at 

I don't think there is much that is too scary on the MK4 other than the standard wear and tear stuff

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/9/2019 at 11:29 PM, Pokelet said:

Problems (touch wood) remarkably few on the Mondeo, it's on 96kmiles. The overflow pipe that runs from the NS of the engine, across the top of the rad to the header tank split where it meets the engine, then there is a 1/4 inch pipe from the front of the header that runs to a 90degree metal bend, that rotted. Did the Clutch and Dual Mass last month and a new battery. Flown through every MOT. Oh, needed a wheel bearing on the back not long after I bought it - crap tyres, it's an estate and I am told they can suffer with inconsistent wear, got that done on warranty.

The Galaxy on 76k was a bit of a rush purchase (child 3 was imminent) so it was the best for the cash I had, it had had a hard life before me!! That needed a driveshaft boot last MOT. Also had a coolant issue but possibly due to a bodged ECU fix before I owned it, it's been bodged again and now the fan kicks in when it gets to temp. I'll try and look at that over the summer as it runs constantly, it's also only last week had the Aircon condenser take a dump I thought it was coolant recall related, Ford said no (local and family owned so I trust them more) and I've got it booked to a local place tomorrow as Ford parts are silly money. The only other thing has been the NS rear door lock mechanism fail, got a spare off eBay and fitted that in about an hour.

I've had the Mondeo for 5 years and put 50k on it, 30k was in the first 2 years! Galaxy for just over 18 month's, not my favourite as it's a Zetec spec (Mondeo is a Titanium X) but great do drive and can easily turn into a van for an IKEA trip. It is fun watching the boys racers jaws drop when a Bus does them off the line though.

Hi pokelet just a update my cars still stuck in ford been 2 weeks Thursday if I was you I wouldn’t get the recall work done if the car develops any faults after the work is done there is no guarantee or warranty on any work that is done so after if your car develops an electrical problem they won’t cover it if the sensor fails or any pipes crack you have to pay as there isn’t a warranty on the new parts installed I have been on to ford for the last hour if I knew all these issues I would of not sent it in and kept it how it was ford are saying because of the age of the car 2011 they won’t fix anything if it goes wrong   Not happy 🤬

On 7/16/2019 at 12:41 PM, Marktimmins said:

Hi pokelet just a update my cars still stuck in ford been 2 weeks Thursday if I was you I wouldn’t get the recall work done if the car develops any faults after the work is done there is no guarantee or warranty on any work that is done so after if your car develops an electrical problem they won’t cover it if the sensor fails or any pipes crack you have to pay as there isn’t a warranty on the new parts installed I have been on to ford for the last hour if I knew all these issues I would of not sent it in and kept it how it was ford are saying because of the age of the car 2011 they won’t fix anything if it goes wrong   Not happy 🤬

I'm booked in second week in August for both. I contacted Ford last week to ask what parts specifically are replaced they said ask your dealer we don't know. Asked the dealer they said ask Ford..... 

I might try and see if I can get anything in writing from them on warranty/guarantee etc. The dealer I use are really good (my more local option is Bristol Street 😠) so I go a few miles further for family owned/run. It's the dealers I feel sorry for as by the looks of it and looking at the video Ford put on YouTube it's an ***** of a job.

I'll probably get it done, I've had coolant issues with both cars, if I was to have the same happen again and the worst happened and it ended in fire I don't think my insurance would be happy if I had refused the recall work. 

Oh - the Aircon issue on the Galaxy was the seals deforming. So cheaper than a condenser but still 2 hrs labour and a regas.

Yeah it was Bristol street in Bolton that’s done mine I have just got the car back now all done been in there 15 days it use to be Gordon’s ford but changed to Bristol street about 18 months ago and it’s terrible I was same ford couldn’t tell me why the software wasn’t going on and Bristol street couldn’t but it’s finally done now I would just ask the dealer if they have done one before as that’s why they struggled with mine as they had never done a mondeo only the fiestas and focus hope you have better luck than me 

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/19/2019 at 10:30 AM, Marktimmins said:

Yeah it was Bristol street in Bolton that’s done mine I have just got the car back now all done been in there 15 days it use to be Gordon’s ford but changed to Bristol street about 18 months ago and it’s terrible I was same ford couldn’t tell me why the software wasn’t going on and Bristol street couldn’t but it’s finally done now I would just ask the dealer if they have done one before as that’s why they struggled with mine as they had never done a mondeo only the fiestas and focus hope you have better luck than me 

OK - Update, and sorry to bump this. @Marktimmins I hope you have your's back now? Bristol Street! I feel your pain - I believe technically I am still banned from buying a car my local one but that's another story! 

Both my Galaxy and Mondeo were done this week. Took them 2 days on the Galaxy (there really isn't much space to work in there) and just over a day on the Mondeo. So I now have some shiny new hoses and some creatively attached wiring! I have noticed that both cars smell very warm now - possibly using different coolant (yellow not red). The only big annoyance is that on the Galaxy the filler cap for the expansion tank is under the valance so topping up will be a pain without a funnel with a hose. 

Fingers crossed!

• 3 months later...

Hi,I just discovered this thread, which is old now, but affects me. I had a serious coolant issue a few months ago that cost a lot to repair at a local trusted garage (non-dealer), and now I've just received the recall letter. Can I claim the repair cost back from Ford if the two are related? I'm guessing no, but would love to be surprised.

The 17S09 Recall for the 1.6 ECOboost engine has only been implemented to solve a possible safety issue and not because of technical issues. Technical problems regarding the cooling system are only covered by the recall when there is a direct relation to the recall. Performing the recall is a gesture of courtesy from Ford to solve this known issue (the lack of a coolant level detection system) that possibly could result in a safety issue (fire as a result of a cracked cilinder head caused by overheating). A recall has nothing to do with warranty. 

Recalls can only be performed by authorized Ford dealers. By having the car repaired at a local trusted garage (non-dealer) you took the opportunity from Ford to perform the repair as part of the recall. Even if the repair would have been covered by the recall Ford will never pay for repairs that are not performed by an authorized Ford dealer.

The 17S09 Recall for the 1.6 ECOboost has been implemented in several stages. The Focus MK3, Kuga MK2 and C-max/Grand C-max MK2 were the 1st to be recalled. At a later time the Mondeo MK4.5, Fiesta MK7 ST and S-max Galaxy were recalled. If you received the recall letter only recently there is a chance that the recall was not even applicable for your vehicle at the time you had the cooling system problems. 

1 hour ago, JW1982 said:

The 17S09 Recall for the 1.6 ECOboost engine has only been implemented to solve a possible safety issue and not because of technical issues. Technical problems regarding the cooling system are only covered by the recall when there is a direct relation to the recall. Performing the recall is a gesture of courtesy from Ford to solve this known issue (the lack of a coolant level detection system) that possibly could result in a safety issue (fire as a result of a cracked cilinder head caused by overheating). A recall has nothing to do with warranty. 

Recalls can only be performed by authorized Ford dealers. By having the car repaired at a local trusted garage (non-dealer) you took the opportunity from Ford to perform the repair as part of the recall. Even if the repair would have been covered by the recall Ford will never pay for repairs that are not performed by an authorized Ford dealer.

The 17S09 Recall for the 1.6 ECOboost has been implemented in several stages. The Focus MK3, Kuga MK2 and C-max/Grand C-max MK2 were the 1st to be recalled. At a later time the Mondeo MK4.5, Fiesta MK7 ST and S-max Galaxy were recalled. If you received the recall letter only recently there is a chance that the recall was not even applicable for your vehicle at the time you had the cooling system problems. 

Thanks very much. That's as I expected.

16 hours ago, dllouis said:

Hi,I just discovered this thread, which is old now, but affects me. I had a serious coolant issue a few months ago that cost a lot to repair at a local trusted garage (non-dealer), and now I've just received the recall letter. Can I claim the repair cost back from Ford if the two are related? I'm guessing no, but would love to be surprised.

under English law if a fault is there at time manufacture.... the problem stays with the manu for 6 years

no one knows and even when you do, they all just tell you to f*** off and 99.9 % do just that, but if you like fighting the law is actually on your side

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club