Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Coolant reservoir cap stuck

Zirk

Hi all,

I usually remove and reinstall the coolant reservoir cap every month to prevent it from becoming stuck. Yesterday when trying to open the cap, it appears to have separated from its lower half. I have seen a few threads about this on this forum but my case is slightly different. The photo's show the problem, in the second photo a lot of minor cracks can be seen on the reservoir itself at the base of where the cap attaches - can actually be felt. Has anyone ever had the issue of cracks on the coolant reservoir? I have read elsewhere online that the coolant reservoir can develop minor cracks over time and may burst leading to engine failure. Car is a 2015 1.0 Ecoboost with mileage of only 27200 kilometers and is meticulously maintained. Vehicle is booked with the dealer tomorrow.

IMG_3129.JPG

IMG_3130.JPG

I see the spring as pinged away too. I had this one mine, I just took two screwdrivers to it and lifted it out bit by bit, it came out. I bought two replacements after seeing a few caps have done this. Not sure on cracking on mine, just dug the bit out. 

Mine was fixed under warranty. They put some grease in the new cap. I assume to stop the new cap sticking.

I had cracks just like this but worse on mine. Ford replaced it under warranty (almost the 3 year mark) as it was slowly leaking coolant but a pressure test showed no problems elsewhere. It hasn't needed any coolant since the reservoir was changed. 

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎21‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 11:43 PM, wilsonpil said:

I see the spring as pinged away too. I had this one mine, I just took two screwdrivers to it and lifted it out bit by bit, it came out. I bought two replacements after seeing a few caps have done this. Not sure on cracking on mine, just dug the bit out. 

Just had this irritating problem - tried the two screwdriver method and it didn't work at first.  Sprayed with silicone lubricant, waited 10 minutes, and out it came.  No cracking so far.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the input. Just an update - had mine replaced under warranty by the dealer. Apparently its a very common issue.

IMG_3155n.jpg

• 7 months later...

Hi Freddy42, I know you posted this over 3 years ago so I'm asking this more in hope that you will reply. I am having the same problem you had concerning

"Just had this irritating problem - tried the two screwdriver method and it didn't work at first.  Sprayed with silicone lubricant, waited 10 minutes, and out it came.  No cracking so far."

You said you "Sprayed with silicone lubricant" Would this silicone lubricant work in helping remove the part of my cap that is stuck ? 

Anyway, hope you are well, thanks.

s-l1600.jpg

• 1 year later...

I had same problem.  Got over it by undoing cap a bit at a time leaving about 10 to 15 seconds each time cap becomes very stiff . Seems to ease out of hole that way

• 6 months later...
On 1/21/2018 at 11:43 PM, wilsonpil said:

Thanks for that just dug mine out sprayed silicon release lubricant from toolstation £2.90 500ml spray can waited 20mins

2 small screw drivers. 

To play around the sides

Popped up with in 5 mins

Thanks Anthony 

I grease the threads on mine every couple of months with silicone grease.   Never have a problem getting it undone.

• Like 1

Hi all ,thanks for heads up !! Just checked mine , slightly stiff , sprayed thread with silicon 

put back on, then unscrewed , came off easily !! Will re-spray regularly , then hopefully 

will not have any problems  !! Cheers

Mine was stuck and the cap separated, I help get the stuck part out by undoing the cap when engine was hot (but not really hot)so the pressure helped move it. But you need to be careful that you don’t undo it too far in one go and injure yourself with hot water, steam, flying part of cap

Seeing that so many owners have had this same experience seems like an inherent fault, perhaps you should all report it to Ford.

Ford know about it but don't seem too bothered.

• 4 months later...

In got the lower part out by drilling 2 small holes opposite each other through the black plastic wall, putting in screws, clamping them centrally with a vice grip and then pulling with a rotary action.  The part had been stuck solid and resisted various other attempts but Hey Presto this worked like a dream.  I had read about this technique somewhere but can't remember where.  Thanks a million whoever put it forward.

Hi all, im using Bobr's tip with the silicon grease ( couple of

quid from ebay),  just

getting into the habit of removing cap, smearing small amount on thread and 

back on,  having no problems to date !!! seems to work .

• Like 1

Don't forget to smear some on the sealing o ring as well. This can stick solid.

• 6 months later...

Hi people!

same thing has happened to mine 2015 1.2 . Also it’s fairly new reservoir and I presume the cap /was also may have had a new radiator recently, but now it started to leak again , noticed the levels been going down again...have yet to check it /all things were new, can’t believe it do you know what’s going on ?any ideas chaps thanks in advance.

Hi Buffalo and welcome to the Ford Owners Club - This might sound like a daft question but how do you know its leaking ?

Have you actually had coolant leaking on to the ground. When the engine is stone cold first thing in the morning what is the level of the coolant in the expansion tank?

Hi!...well it’s been leaking/ as the level has been going down, one time even below minimum.

A while ago we thought the head gasket had gone ,and in the end it turned out the fan was not working maybe It had been sticking on and burn out -and they change the reservoir a new fan - and then it’s been ok. Something now it started to leak again ,just had a quick look underneath and you can see a few drips on the bottom of the engine looking from underneath. Over/ looking under the bonnet you can’t really see any leaks Around the reservoir or the pipes connected to it so I’m gonna try and have another look. Or I may take it back to the garage who done the work for me previously.

• 8 months later...

Thank you all for your tips. The silicon spray worked for me. I sprayed it around the outer edge of the stuck part, waited 15 minutes, prised with a couple of screwdrivers and it came out quite easily!

Beforehand, without the spray, I was using the two screwdriver technique and it just wasn't working. Silicon does the trick.

• 4 months later...

I see it is an old post but just to share an experience; easiest, cheapest and most straight forward solution is to replace the whole tank. Tools needed (pair of pliers and an empty bottle/ jar) cost; <£20. 
unclip the two upper hoses by hand, unclip tank from the holding plates, drain in jar through the openings where you unclipped the houses, use the pliers to unclamp the main hose, pull the tank away from the hose. Install the new tank.

trying to take the cap off is very tricky, usually the seal goes dry due to heat and trying to take it out would either break the sealing face of the tank (so you’ll buy a new tank) or parts of the cap will fall in tank , and maybe finds way into the hose ( good luck rescuing the engine)

• Sad 1

Can I ask where you bought a new expansion tank and filler cap for under £20.? 

• 6 months later...

Just had this happen on my MK7 transit! Just wondering, if I get the stuck, inside part of the cap out, can I just screw the top on and drive short distances for a couple of days until I can grab a new one? Probably a stupid question, but I haven’t got much of a clue about motors 😂

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, hdp said:

Just had this happen on my MK7 transit! Just wondering, if I get the stuck, inside part of the cap out, can I just screw the top on and drive short distances for a couple of days until I can grab a new one? Probably a stupid question, but I haven’t got much of a clue about motors 😂

Depends how short you mean.  You could probably do half a mile here and there.  The cap holds pressure in the system.  Without that pressure the coolant will boil.  You'd be better off leaving the stuck part in the tank until you've got a new cap.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club